Quantcast

Take off to the Great White North (Shore)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
It's a beauty way to go.

CBC/NED'S ATOMIC DUSTBIN

Well it was about time i get out and ride these trails. Me living near Seattle everyone is always sayin, you gotta get up and ride in Canada it's so fun. Most of the time it's Whistler Whistler Whistler!!! But personally i've always wanted to hit the Shore. So when Snacks called and asked if i'd be down to riding up there with Oly and pals she was pretty shocked i was stoked to go.

Well of course Damon is about the worst person you want to have being in control of getting to a destination, but we somehow managed to find the Superstore. Getting ready for the HuckWagon, a shuttle service provided by Henrys Bike Shop.

Right off the bat i started understanding what all the hype is about.... Here's Daniel floating down just a small gnarl rock section on CBC.

i was super impressed with the amount of work that has to go into maintaining this trail. You always see pictures of big stunts or hucks and while those are certainly impressive from a build standpoint what impressed me equally is the amount of trail work inbetween as well.
Matt flying...

i was riding with my pal Daniel here and he was telling me i'd have way too much fun riding out here. And he was totally right, we both are big into long XC rides but i've always enjoyed a shuttle assist from time to time and this ranks right up there and is the most fun i've had in a gravity assist ride.

It's a real workout i gotta tell you. The trail reminded me of all the more techy sections of various trails i've ridden all bunched together in miles of descending goodness. A local mudhunnie ridin along.

Here's Amy cruisin along on her super bling chi chi Turner rig.:)

Yo D!!!! Wear more deoderant on the next ride pal!!!:rofl:

Hooray for the Shore, after 2 quality runs i've been converted into a Freeride believer. Of course i've always dug a little techy gnar dh and i'm not gonna give up my climbing legs anytime soon. But i totally understand now why they try to keep this stuff illegal in the states, it's just way too much fun.:)

HUCKIN

BOOSTIN

GAPPIN

STINKIN

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I would do ANYTHING to get to the shore at this point. Im trying to get a trip together this summer. I totally agree with you about wanting to ride that area over whistler...

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid:

But after looking at Skook's pics, I think I'd like to become one. :D
Yeah, I have dreams of flying, but I don't heal so quickly these days. Heck, I banged my knee in Moab several weeks ago and its still sore.:mumble:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You don't have to be a hucker to ride these trails. But it helps to have advanced skills, along with some armor, full face, and a big bike definately helps. You can ride here without but you might not have as much fun.
Don't believe the hype, don't ride this kinda stuff to prove anything, ride this stuff because it's fun.

This wall ride you have to carry alot of speed off the first rock berm, i only got about a foot up on it haha. Maybe next time i'll get off the saddle and try to hammer up a bit more.

In fact i'm pretty good at rolling just about anything. This one was so hairball i actually walked it twice without trying haha. Next time i'll save up the strength and nail it. It's not the steepness it's the run-out, and it's off camber, and Kevin (Trailhacker) and Matt skipped there pedal for a definate "whoah" factor. In fact Matt shot down and pogoed backwards after hitting a huge rock because his pedal skip pushed him too far right haha.

Yah whatever line you feel more comfortable with, or uncomfortable with if you want to challenge yourself.

Haha i like this shot because i'm using all my travel. i have extra firm springs too. i rolled it, but it was so steep, you can see my rear wheel floating. Someone advised me not to use any front brake, and i wasn't planning on it, but you can see how bad the stuff would be if i had....:)

i'm terrible with names but we wound up riding with this lucky guy. Him and his wife are moving to Vancouver soon from Britain and he rented a bike and had himself a good time. Our first run we stopped and sessioned quite a bit so he took full advantage watching our various lines, so he then could ride what he was comfortable with. He finally let loose with a jump at the end of Neds and i was able to catch him. i told him about the web site hopefully he gets to see this.:)

One more for good measure. Trailhacker off a bridge drop.

Yah i've done a few trails that were over my head, and much of the harder lines are over my head. But with so many options it's fun to be able to pick when you want to be aggressive. i had a total blast and that's how you gotta approach a ride like this. If you have an intermediate level of skill along with some experience on a bike it's an opporunity to try stuff. You may fail or you may suprise yourself. Personally my first run down i was excited and tense because i didn't know what was coming. But on my second run i was much more calm and floating over stuff alot better. But both runs were great, and i'll definately look forward to returning and trying the other trails out there. Good times.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Skookum said:
i'm terrible with names but we wound up riding with this lucky guy. Him and his wife are moving to Vancouver soon from Britain and he rented a bike and had himself a good time. Our first run we stopped and sessioned quite a bit so he took full advantage watching our various lines, so he then could ride what he was comfortable with. He finally let loose with a jump at the end of Neds and i was able to catch him. i told him about the web site hopefully he gets to see this.:)

His name was Mark....I very normal name for dude from England:) He was cool.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Who's the chick catching the whiff here?

J/k...looks awesome...can't wait to get back and visit you up there. Stand by for freeloaders!

MD

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MikeD said:
Who's the chick catching the whiff here?
hehe better watch out, i still have some of that Satinist kool aid in the back of my fridge...:looney:

loco said:
Nice Skook. Were you at Walmart???
Superstore, i believe the Canadian equivelant. Although unlike Wallymart the store is unionized as there were picketers striking.

MarkG said:
Hey guys, that was me! Thanks for letting me tag along on your ride. It was good to see the lines and it was pretty easy to decide what to ride/not to ride. Nice photos and ride report.

(I've just returned to the UK today, having done some more sensible (XC!) riding in Whistler & Squamish - the wet, muddy trails in the UK don't seem very appealing at the moment :nopity: )
Excellent you found it! Glad you remembered, this is a really good site to browse as well, so let me be the first to welcome you to the monkey.:)

pm me your web address and i'll send you a couple more shots that you can share with your chums and show em how hard core you're becoming.:rofl: