Quantcast

Taking down big pharma?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Guessing he would have gotten 10 X the sentence if he was found on the corner selling

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Guessing he would have gotten 10 X the sentence if he was found on the corner selling

maybe they can squeeze 10 years worth of prison sex in two....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I just got a prescription for Belsomra sleeping tablets, here they are $60AU for 30 tablets with no concessions from the gov, in the US they are over $300, I don't understand how that works.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
How much is your life worth? An exploration of free market dying

My brother in law is a director for Bayer pharmaceuticals making drugs specifically for Hemophiliacs. The overall costs to manufacture their particular drug is expensive as they grow live cultures. Every time a batch is complete all the equipment must be sterilized for the next batch. On occasion, someone fucks up causing the current batch to become contaminated and they have to dump the whole thing (it can take several months to get that particular equipment ready to produce again, its not like a few day process) plus the time it takes to regrow everything. That F up can cost the company up to $18M a pop. The R&D that goes into developing a drug in the US is huge, the years of tests, along with waiting for FDA approval can cost in the $100M's. I believe a company has to wait several years before they can produce a generic version of the drug. The draw back for the original manufacture is they went through the whole process to develop the drug and another company comes in and reaps the benefits. IMO I think one reason for our outrageous drug prices is everyone in the US is sue happy. Look at all the TV ads going after the drug manufactures for these $100m+ lawsuits. I don't think other countries go through that, do they?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just got a prescription for Belsomra sleeping tablets, here they are $60AU for 30 tablets with no concessions from the gov, in the US they are over $300, I don't understand how that works.
Too many people with their hands in the cookie jar...but...jerbs!

Why do I get bills from 5 different organizations when I go to ONE freaking place to get a medical procedure done?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My brother in law is a director for Bayer pharmaceuticals making drugs specifically for Hemophiliacs. The overall costs to manufacture their particular drug is expensive as they grow live cultures.
Which is a good reason why they should be non-profit.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Sure have! Whats your point?
Maximizing short term profits demanded by investors on today's markets and providing affordable drugs at low cost constitute a solid conflict of interest. As most americans are invested thanks to their pension portfolios, there is little motivation to do anything about status quo until you get sick.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My brother in law is a director for Bayer pharmaceuticals making drugs specifically for Hemophiliacs. The overall costs to manufacture their particular drug is expensive as they grow live cultures. Every time a batch is complete all the equipment must be sterilized for the next batch. On occasion, someone fucks up causing the current batch to become contaminated and they have to dump the whole thing (it can take several months to get that particular equipment ready to produce again, its not like a few day process) plus the time it takes to regrow everything. That F up can cost the company up to $18M a pop. The R&D that goes into developing a drug in the US is huge, the years of tests, along with waiting for FDA approval can cost in the $100M's. I believe a company has to wait several years before they can produce a generic version of the drug. The draw back for the original manufacture is they went through the whole process to develop the drug and another company comes in and reaps the benefits. IMO I think one reason for our outrageous drug prices is everyone in the US is sue happy. Look at all the TV ads going after the drug manufactures for these $100m+ lawsuits. I don't think other countries go through that, do they?
people don't grasp how astronomically expensive it is to R&D a new drug and bring it to market with FDA approval (and that doesn't count all the other development for drugs that will never make it to market). generics don't have that same R&D expense. they're just reverse engineering the drugs.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Fun fact: Pricing is not set by cost. Prices are set to maximize profits, it is a pretty simple algorithm.

The cost to manufacture epipens and insulin has not increased massively but the price has.

Hell the price of epipens went up because the manufacturer wanted to maximize profits before a generic hit the market.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
cost is a factor in pricing. the more it costs to develop & produce, the higher the pricing is gonna be by default.
Only in the case when there is no alternative or competition. Or in the case where the only alternative is death.

In the same model, there is also no motivation to reduce cost.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
so when there is a competitive product they'll price it below cost?

Sometimes yes. I've spent a good chunk of my career doing pricing strategy, it is complicated but sometimes you take a loss if it supports a larger business strategy. But generally speaking you just stop making that product if that is the case.

When you have a product that has no competitors, you set the price as high as possible until consumers decide not having any solution is preferable. But if your only alternative is death the consumers acceptable price is whatever they have.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sometimes yes. I've spent a good chunk of my career doing pricing strategy, it is complicated but sometimes you take a loss if it supports a larger business strategy. But generally speaking you just stop making that product if that is the case.

When you have a product that has no competitors, you set the price as high as possible until consumers decide not having any solution is preferable. But if your only alternative is death the consumers acceptable price is whatever they have.
pharma and biologics don't follow the normal consumer pricing strategies.

i'm not saying the costs of drugs isn't a problem, the point i'm trying to convey is that sometimes they expensive because they are expensive. the epipen example mentioned doesn't apply here; there's no reason the costs of those should be as high as they are, and increasing.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
When certain drugs are prohibitively expensive in the US, yet affordable elsewhere, it's hard to feel pricing strategy is anything beyond "whatever the market can bear".

1579889198875.png

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
people don't grasp how astronomically expensive it is to R&D a new drug and bring it to market with FDA approval (and that doesn't count all the other development for drugs that will never make it to market). generics don't have that same R&D expense. they're just reverse engineering the drugs.
Exactly. There is way more failure when developing a drug than success. It can take 5-10 years to develop a drug before getting it FDA approved costing hundreds of millions. It still may fail FDA, then back to the beginning. Again, I think companies are charging more waiting for the next class action suit to occur, cause its the American way.

I'm not denying something has to be done about about the outrageous pricing, but few look at what the costs are to make all of this happen.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Exactly. There is way more failure when developing a drug than success. It can take 5-10 years to develop a drug before getting it FDA approved costing hundreds of millions. It still may fail FDA, then back to the beginning. Again, I think companies are charging more waiting for the next class action suit to occur, cause its the American way.

I'm not denying something has to be done about about the outrageous pricing, but few look at what the costs are to make all of this happen.

Yes, developing drugs is expensive and everything I described is just a symptom of free markets. But here is the rub, the federal government pays for a significant portion of that development. From what I could find "western" pharma companies spend about 95 billion a year in development, I couldn't find what percentage of that actually occurs in the US. The NIH funds about 35 billion a year. That is a significant portion. In return the NIH gets rights to use patents it funded in further research but gets no licensing fees that would be normal. About 10% of all new medications are derived directly from publicly funded patents and about 50% of new medication use some advances that were the result of publicly funded research.

We don't have socialized medicine, but we do have socialized corporate profits.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Pharma companies also spend a lot more money on sales and marketing than they do on R&D. I have never heard anyone defend drug prices because those superbowl ads are really expensive.

One could argue that from a business perspective that the marketing is necessary. But my doctor should be telling me what drugs I need, not my TV. And my doctor should be prescribing me the right drugs based on data and not because he got an all expenses paid golf trip to Maui.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Pharma companies also spend a lot more money on sales and marketing than they do on R&D. I have never heard anyone defend drug prices because those superbowl ads are really expensive.

One could argue that from a business perspective that the marketing is necessary. But my doctor should be telling me what drugs I need, not my TV. And my doctor should be prescribing me the right drugs based on data and not because he got an all expenses paid golf trip to Maui.
This. Even after all the years I've been relocated in Freedumland prescription drug ads still amaze me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This. Even after all the years I've been relocated in Freedumland prescription drug ads still amaze me.
I watched some concussion ball games last weekend. About a third of all the ads were for scrips. They all had annoying music and people in psychotically good moods enthusiastically doing mundane things.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How much is your life worth? An exploration of free market dying

2-3m for a cure vs 25m over the lifetime of a patient afflicted with the disease.

You people always clamor for a cure for cancer. "Why are there all these treatments? Why isn't there a cure? It must be Joe Biden keeping it a secret!" I can only imagine how much you'd FLIP THE FUCK OUT if a cure for cancer was discovered, and it cost $4m.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

WRONG

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
RIGHT
it costs between 1 and 3 BILLION dollars to bring a single drug to market.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yes, developing drugs is expensive and everything I described is just a symptom of free markets. But here is the rub, the federal government pays for a significant portion of that development. From what I could find "western" pharma companies spend about 95 billion a year in development, I couldn't find what percentage of that actually occurs in the US. The NIH funds about 35 billion a year. That is a significant portion. In return the NIH gets rights to use patents it funded in further research but gets no licensing fees that would be normal. About 10% of all new medications are derived directly from publicly funded patents and about 50% of new medication use some advances that were the result of publicly funded research.

We don't have socialized medicine, but we do have socialized corporate profits.
That's just wrong. Are there any facts or references to back this statement up?

Of the 15 companies I have worked for in Biotech, exactly 1 has used NIH based research. And that was licensed appropriately with whatever the fee was plus whatever the percentage of the drug, which will likely never make it market, getting kicked back to the guy who discovered it, via the NIH.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yes, I realize that I am several beers deep and am yelling in an echo chamber, but why the fuck won't people listen? There are absolutely evil-doers out there, pharma bros and doctor bribers, but biotech is an industry just like any other. I don't get how the predatory practices of transportation, investment, software, or anything else are somehow evil in new drug discovery, but just fine everywhere else

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's just wrong. Are there any facts or references to back this statement up?

Of the 15 companies I have worked for in Biotech, exactly 1 has used NIH based research. And that was licensed appropriately with whatever the fee was plus whatever the percentage of the drug, which will likely never make it market, getting kicked back to the guy who discovered it, via the NIH.

NIH Intellectual Property Policy
https://grants.nih.gov/policy/intell-property.htm

(This may not cover all the bases. It says that NIH funded researchers are compelled to patent, and notify the NIH. I assume the patent is held by the funded researcher. I see in other sources that the NIH may incur a 1.5% license fee for use of patents it holds. Not sure what the difference between a funded patent and a NIH owned patent. Either way considering R&D costs are closer to 15% of sales, 1.5% is off by an order of magnitude)

NIH budget

NIH contributions to new meds

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
WRONG
So there is some abiguity in what is classified as marketing costs. The numbers I was looking seemed to include generic expenses that may or may not be related to marketing. Using the numbers from your article we can say some pharmaceutical companies spend more, and on average almost as much on marketing as they do on R&D.

My statement still stands.

I have never heard anyone defend drug prices because those superbowl ads are really expensive.

My doctor should be telling me what drugs I need, not my TV. And my doctor should be prescribing me the right drugs based on data and not because he got an all expenses paid golf trip to Maui.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yes, I realize that I am several beers deep and am yelling in an echo chamber, but why the fuck won't people listen? There are absolutely evil-doers out there, pharma bros and doctor bribers, but biotech is an industry just like any other. I don't get how the predatory practices of transportation, investment, software, or anything else are somehow evil in new drug discovery, but just fine everywhere else

As I said in the other thread. Generally speaking Pharmaceutical companies are not acting in evil way and nor are their employees. They are performing rather well in the system they exist in. The system in this country where we rely on the free market for our health care is driving costs twice as much as the next most expensive system. The reality is it is pricing out a significant portion of our population, creating a vast and expensive non value added insurance system, driving costs to employers to the point where they can't compete, and making a few people very rich.

Other than the assholes who got a few hundred thousand people hooked on opiods the people are doing what they are supposed to. Our political system just needs to change the rules so the system is less profit driven and driven more towards caring for people.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
There is a reason why pharmaceutical companies own non-compete patents for 7 years after drug approval. If the drug is successful, then its costs will be reaped very quickly through sales. It's when a company changes the distribution method for an off patent drug to bring it back to patent or makes a change to the ingredients that doesn't actually change the drug doing the same where the bigger issues arise. You've had your protected period; make something better or find another use for it (see Botox or humira).

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I think it's the negligible changes to extend patents or huge cost on low cost drugs (insulin).