Quantcast

Taking down big pharma?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think it's the negligible changes to extend patents or huge cost on low cost drugs (insulin).

I believe there are loopholes to extend patents by making minor changes not necessarily related to the active ingredient that extends said patent for the actual active ingredient such as changing the delivery method.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You aren't wrong, but sometimes those changes enhance half life or delay breakdown of the drug (long acting insulin). Those are inherently better than the original product. Yes, you can grind up 10000 pigs and get insulin, but some of the newer stuff is better.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You aren't wrong, but sometimes those changes enhance half life or delay breakdown of the drug (long acting insulin). Those are inherently better than the original product. Yes, you can grind up 10000 pigs and get insulin, but some of the newer stuff is better.
A how to

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So there is some abiguity in what is classified as marketing costs. The numbers I was looking seemed to include generic expenses that may or may not be related to marketing. Using the numbers from your article we can say some pharmaceutical companies spend more, and on average almost as much on marketing as they do on R&D.

My statement still stands.

I have never heard anyone defend drug prices because those superbowl ads are really expensive.

My doctor should be telling me what drugs I need, not my TV. And my doctor should be prescribing me the right drugs based on data and not because he got an all expenses paid golf trip to Maui.
Wait, so the fact that most very large pharma companies spend more on R+D than sales and marketing (and some significantly more) is not a compelling argument that most R+D companies spend more on R+D than marketing? Excuse me but what the fuck?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Wait, so the fact that most very large pharma companies spend more on R+D than sales and marketing (and some significantly more) is not a compelling argument that most R+D companies spend more on R+D than marketing? Excuse me but what the fuck?

Feel free to gloat over the semantics over the actual value. But the reality is vast amounts of money are spent on direct to patient marketing and wining and dining doctors, which add little to no value to the patient and actually poses the risk of over or incorrectly prescribing based on a nifty jingle or and handjob on a golf course.

Drug companies do it because it drives sales in competitive markets. But perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to. It perhaps could lower drug costs and actually increase profits for the companies that actually make drugs that perform the best, which is how they should be selected.

When I worked at Merck the only employees that were regularly drug tested were the ones working in sales.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
McKinsey's plan to pay pharmacies a rebate for each overdose by users of their product

How the fuck are you not going "Maintenance de routine, pas grave" already????
Might be part of why purdue actually plead guilty