Quantcast

Taking my bikes to South America - Plane lugage or UPS them down?

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
I need to get my bikes from Boston to Cusco, Peru. I am not sure about my flight info/airline yet so I realize this is a pretty general question.

This is something I know nothing about as I have never taken my bikes anywhere my truck doesn't go. Who has traveled with bikes? Have you found the best way to transport them to be UPS etc. or taking them on the plane? (as I'm guessing an over sized package?)

Yes I am looking for the cheaper way to do it but also don't want to have them lost, beaten up etc. I have heard a handful of bad stories about lost bikes on planes and I will likely have at least one layover.

Any info you can provide would be very helpful.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Depending on your airline. With air canada, I always bring with me. Lots of luggage allowance and only $50 for a bike. Great deal, UPS will be BIG to send to south america, and your stuff may never arrive. (Sketchy shipping things down there).

Delta on the other hand charges $350 each way for a bike...so you may be paying more than your damn ticket.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yeah, sending your bike by FedEx or UPS to South America will probably cost a fortune.

the airline's website usually has prices for flying with bikes, but make sure your box fits into their size/weight constraints or youll pay a lot more for flying with it or not be able to fly with it at all.

British Air to Europe was cheap(ish) for me flying with a bike, but my box was too over big and cost extra...and barely made their size limit/weight.

As stated above do not ship it. It will cost a fortune and it will get hit with duty tax and how long it takes to clear could take weeks if not longer. I know Brazil is not Peru but I have never sent anything to Brazil that has not got hit for duty tax. We have some friends who his mom had all these baby clothes she got at a yard sale for a bit of nothing,she shipped it to them and customs wanted almost $200 to land it out. Do not ship!

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i have brought bikes from the states to Peru.

Do no ship the bike. Better bring it with you. Depending on the airline, you might get hit with a hetfy fee. what airline are you flying? are you flying boston-cusco in one ticket, or boston-lima and then transfer lima-cusco?

If you dont have a bike box, take apart the bike as much as you can, an fit it in 2 separate boxes. This way, you might (depends on the airline, the hour of the day and how overbooked the flight is) not even be charged the bicycle fee.

must do downhills in Lima are Olleros (3200masl-0masl), Markawasi (4000masl-1500masl), Quipan (3600masl-1800masl) and Otao (3900-1500masl)... this last one is relatively unknown for non-locals... never seen a gringo in Otao, but Otao is incredibly amazing IMO... among the best DH rides ever rivals Olleros for the best dh this side of the world (no kidding).....

in cusco there is the maras dh, chincheros... but i guess you already have a plan for those...
if you have time, drop by huaraz (my favourite mountain city, its only 6 hours away from lima), they have amazing nose-bleed-inducing downhills with incredible views...

if you happen to have a saturday or sunday off in Lima, send me a pm, i go out to the andes every weekend with my buddies and the more the merrier...

Last edited:

theBigHeezy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
Salt Lake $hitty, UT
oliver,
pack it and bring it with your flight. it completely depends who you get checked in by. somepeople care, others dont, some know the rules, some dont. i have found it to work in my favor about 66% of the time. usually get charged on the way there, but never been charged by another country returning to the us, cause they generally are laid back in countries other then the US and say eff it.
-adam-

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
For what it’s worth I have been doing the duffle bag trick for recent trips and it works AMAZINGLY…no cost yet, bike is fine…Most recent flight was delta which like others said is $$$

I think some ppl freak out about the duffle bag method but if it is a dh/fr or trail bike they are tough just make sure you put space holders in the dropouts and fork, remove rotors and derail…

Just another though, I know if I was going to Peru I would never mail

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
I've flown Washy DC to Lima with my DH bike. What Alexis and Heezy say above is the same as my experience. I broke my frame into two pieces that together with the fork and wheels all fit into two regular large sized plaid suitcases and $8 camping mats wrapped around for protection and pipe insulation and/or knee pads around stanchions. It's sort of a headache to disconnect linkages and crank but not as much as getting reamed by United or Delta - two of the worst airlines for flying bikers. In fact I've flown all over the world many times using this method without problems. But definitely check with your airline for latest regs; things like max size or weight change quickly.

Take your helmet as carry on but try to hide it in a helmet bag or carry-on backpack when you check in. remember carry on restrictions are pretty tight all over the world these days, so again check airline and airport regs on that one. I had to leave a chief's staff at a Nigerian airport a few months ago because I couldn't take it on board.

Olleros, outside Lima, is absolutely a great AM/trailbike descent, but you probably won't be in Lima. Few things in life are better than mtn biking in the Andes and Peruvian food. Enjoy!

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
a hockey bag is the best way to do it. take everything that you can off, wrap it in towels or mats and make sure you tape them up. if its all taped up lots of times the people if they open it will be too lazy to bother undoing it all.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Definitely take apart. It's not very hard and it saves a lot of hassle. If they ask what's inside (doubtful), just say "bike parts."

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Is the hockey bag considered oversized? I can break my DH bike down to be pretty compact, but not quite compact enough to fit in the 62 linear inch requirement. I'll be taking a bike to Germany, just trying to find the cheapest way to get it there. I have a lot of connections and am flying Continental and United unfortunately.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Not too sure about traveling with bikes but I want to say that I remember reading somewhere that in order to save some coin to avoid letting the airlines know its a bike if you can, refer to it as sports equipment

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Took my DJ bike to Chile with me on the airlines. It made it there ok but got a nice mystery dent in the frame on the way back.

I cried a little.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Additional luggage restrictions were put in place in May 2011 by United, Continental, Lufthansa and others in that alliance. North America - Europe transoceanic fees are particularly high, $400 r/t right now (golf clubs, and ski/snowboard kits are of course free). Bike policies are now supposedly harmonized across these airlines. In August 2011 flew DC to Geneva with bike to ride the Alps and was able to pack my Enduro into two suitcases at 62 linear inches each. One of these suitcases was specific for 26er or smaller wheels, and this worked well but was a real PITA over my earlier trips with my bike that relied on slightly larger suitcases. Without that wheel suticase, I wouldn't have been able to break it down enough.

I wouldn't be surpised if some enterprising places in PDS or Whistler and so on started renting wheels. Bring your own bike and tires and use their wheels.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Flying with one bike is a PITA, the fact you ask about flying with plural, bikes, good luck.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I wouldn't be surpised if some enterprising places in PDS or Whistler and so on started renting wheels. Bring your own bike and tires and use their wheels.
Brilliant! I'm defintley going to do that next time I fly with my road bike. $20 for a bag is much nicer than $400 r/t.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I just flew across Canada with a EVOC DH bag that was lent to me. Thing was awesome, I packed a tonne of extra stuff in the bag as well, such as helmets camelbacks, gear etc etc. Ive flown across the country about 7 times, each time was a completely different experience and I used different methods and the Bag was the best yet. IF you use a bike box reinforce the crap out of it, Ive heard horror stories. Ive had my bike lost due to connecting flights and such but they have always found it. Every method ive used they had me take my bike to the oversize baggage section. It would never fit in their X ray machine so they would have me open it up and inspect it and swab it. One time my bike tested positive for C-4 and symtec explosives and got me some pretty special treatment for an hour or so. Like stated, call ahead and get the rules so you know what your gonna pay before you go and they dont try to rip ya on route.

Cheers.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
That EVOC bag is really nice, but it's also $430 msrp.

I can get my DH bike broken down into my main suitcase and a 2nd box under 50 pounds and 62 linear inches and pay the $70 for a 2nd checked bag.

The other option is to pay the $200 for the bike transport, which according to United allows 115 linear inches and 99.9 pounds. That's a big box! I can fit my DH bike, my road bike, and my snowboard in a box that size.

Will the airlines have a fit if I show up with a box that takes full advantage of the 115 linear inch dimensions and 99.9 pound weight limit?

The other issue with this, is that it would be a cardboard box that I make to the dimensions needed. I would foam line it and reinforce it with packaging tape. It won't be able to be opened and closed if I do this though. Will there be a problem with the box being completely sealed with tape (like a UPS/Fedex shipment)?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Mine just got off a flight to Chile in a Trico Iron Case. $50. Air Canada rules. Cardboard boxes work just as well.
Do they have to be able to open it? The thing about the cardboard, is that I don't really trust it, so I will want to completely wrap it in packaging tape to make sure it doesn't come apart.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My Thule 699 has frequently been opened to be swabbed and checked. If possible I always hang around if the inspection area is near checkin so I can help them close the case back up again.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I have done this every way possible, ship, box, bike bag, duffle...

If you know someone shipping is the best (within a reasonable distance) but in your case it doesn’t sound optimal. The problem with bike boxes/bike specific bags is they are creeping up in price to the tune of $200 each way which considering the cost of the bag is insane. That evoc bag or like Fraser said the Trico is the absolute best method if cost isn’t an option. Air Canada is a pipe dream compared to most other carriers esp here in the US.

I have found that 2 duffels using some thick fabric store foam is the best way to travel with a bike. Make sure to put something in the dropout to keep the space, remove rear shock, remove rotors...You can make it work fairly easily with only a few tools and zip ties. The past few times i have flown with my bikes have been for free...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Do they have to be able to open it? The thing about the cardboard, is that I don't really trust it, so I will want to completely wrap it in packaging tape to make sure it doesn't come apart.
I've flown with bikes in cardboard boxes all over the world. Every world cup DHer does the same, iron cases etc are just too heavy normally. They will probably open it, especially if you fly through the USA.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I've flown with bikes in cardboard boxes all over the world. Every world cup DHer does the same, iron cases etc are just too heavy normally. They will probably open it, especially if you fly through the USA.
+1
if its packed so they can clearly see its a bike all they will do is open the top up poke around for a second then tape it back up...If that is an issue bring a tape gun and ask that they let you tape it back up...they are usually cool with that if you tell them why you are standing around watching their every move.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
+1
if its packed so they can clearly see its a bike all they will do is open the top up poke around for a second then tape it back up...If that is an issue bring a tape gun and ask that they let you tape it back up...they are usually cool with that if you tell them why you are standing around watching their every move.
I've been on the phone for nearly an hour waiting to talk to a representative at United. Do you know if they will say anything about other items being in the box? ...like 2 bikes, helmet, shoes, pads, and a snowboard?

Their website just says that bicylces have a maximum weight of 99.9 pounds and 115 linear inches. It then lists the bicycles as a special item that costs $200. On the same chart it lists oversize bags (>62") as $200, and overweight bags (71-99.9 pounds) being $400, and that "if an item fits the criteria for more than one of the fees below, then multiple fees may apply." If the total cost for a box that is 115 linear inches and 99.9 pounds is $200, that will be great. I can't swing $800 if it's going to hit the bike fee, overweight fee, and oversize fee.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I just got back from the airport and talked with the people at the United Airlines desk and they said that the $200 bike fee covers up to 115 linear inches and 99.9 pounds, so I won't incur the extra overweight and oversized charges. Just in case, 2 of their agents confirmed this, and one of the ladies would be working the morning that I fly out. Now the packaging fun begins!

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Currently in transit.

I had constructed a box out of a couple bike boxes that I picked up from the bike shop with the intention of boxing up my dh bike, my road bike and my snowboard in one box, but after getting everything in, there was now way I could get the box under the 100 pound limit with all of the extra pads, shoes, clothes, full face and specialty tools needed with my dh bike, so I made the decision to take my road bike and snowboard.

All of that cost me an extra $0.00. I'm not sure why. I got to the airport later that I should have so the flight agent rushed me off to the plane before she explained why it was all free.

I will rate the success of this oversight by the condition and lack of missing pieces when I get to Stuttgart.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
its great when that happens...have had them throw oversized bags on the belt a few times...its a rediculous price swing when you are planning to spend $100 each way.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Flying with multiple bikes would probably be hard but here's my setup from flying to Whistler last summer. I've used it twice and it works like a charm.

http://imgur.com/vmlN8
I assume you pulled the fork and rear triangle off your bike?

My girlfriend and I are flying down to Peru in June, I am debating between the hockey bag method vs fork and rear end disassembly to get into standard suitcases.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
No complaints from United's handling of my bike. The box was THRASHED by the time it got to Stuttgart with stops in DC and Newark while it was raining and a 24 hour layover in Newark due to a delayed flight out of DC, but the bike was in good condition and everything was in the box. I worried a bit after arriving in DC and saw the bike box sitting in a puddle as they unloaded the rest of the luggage from the plane. Luckily I added a few extra layers of cardboard to the bottom of the box. I'm still surprised that they didn't charge for the box, which was 2 bike boxes glued and taped together to fit my road bike and snowboard. Seeing that they didn't charge me, I'm now wishing that I had just tossed all my DH stuff in there too and not concerned myself with going over the 100 pound weight limit.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I assume you pulled the fork and rear triangle off your bike?

My girlfriend and I are flying down to Peru in June, I am debating between the hockey bag method vs fork and rear end disassembly to get into standard suitcases.
Oops...didn't see this. Yeah I pulled the fork and rear triangle off. It kind of sucks to rebuild it each time but totally worth not paying the bike fees.

This past time I even mounted my tires tubeless then let all the air out of them to kind of protect the rim. It worked like a charm until I blew up both tires riding at Whistler.

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
I just flew across Canada with a EVOC DH bag that was lent to me. Thing was awesome, I packed a tonne of extra stuff in the bag as well, such as helmets camelbacks, gear etc etc. Ive flown across the country about 7 times, each time was a completely different experience and I used different methods and the Bag was the best yet. IF you use a bike box reinforce the crap out of it, Ive heard horror stories. Ive had my bike lost due to connecting flights and such but they have always found it. Every method ive used they had me take my bike to the oversize baggage section. It would never fit in their X ray machine so they would have me open it up and inspect it and swab it. One time my bike tested positive for C-4 and symtec explosives and got me some pretty special treatment for an hour or so. Like stated, call ahead and get the rules so you know what your gonna pay before you go and they dont try to rip ya on route.

Cheers.
They must pick up some kind of clay on your bike that they use in explosives. aweshum just totally awhsuhm