Quantcast

Taking photo's in indoor skatepark

willlyons

Chimp
Sep 18, 2006
Anyone have any advice? I have a Nikon D50 and just use the built in flash. Most of my pictures turn out pretty dark with just a small area lit with the flash. How do people take good indoor photos? Would a better flash help or do they have lights set up? Any advice? I'm not a great photographer nor do I have much experience, just trying to get some better shots.
Will

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Youre on the right track.

Brighter flash would help. So do lights or remote flash set ups. If you can get a set of halogen work lights(the type you see at construction sites with the stands) and an extension cord you could set that up with the owners permission on the area you want to shoot at the park.

You can slow your shutter speed to increase light, but for fast moving objects it will be harder to keep your subject blurr free.

Im not at all a pro and I shoot at skate parks at night too. What I end up doing, since im lazy, is cranking my flash setting to its max and staying close to my subject so I can light them up. Also prefocus on the area your rider will be in so you just have to point and click.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
The above work light suggestion is a great one. the best indoor park photos are taken with some off camera flashes. I think a skate park is one of the hardest action situations to shoot. You have to use fast shutter speeds to catch the action without blurring but still need enough light to make sure you dont dark out the shot.

IMO fast glass and flash/light placement are key. I like shooting a fisheye in the park so i can get in close on the subject but still pull in some of the background.

_Bill

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
boxxer said it, remote flash is where it's at. I'm messing around with a remote set up for my 30d/580ex flash. Here's some of the initial results, granted they are not indoors but rather under heavy cover/in the woods: