Quantcast

Taking pictures of stars

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
No not Britney Spears or Justin Timberlake, or whoever they call stars these days...

Im in New Zeeland right now on a small 3month holiday and the stars in the sky are amazing here in the night.
You get to see the milky way as if you could allmost touch it.
So Ive been trying to take a picture of it and its just not working.

I have a rebel xti with a couple of lenses and none of m work in whatever setting I choose.
I have a tri pod and tried the longest shuttertimes and what not but I just cant seem to get the shot...

Anyone know what Im doing wrong or what I should be doing?

Cheers!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You need a really long exposure time, bulb setting. this took several minutes, long enough the stars are streaking from the rotation of the earth. To get points of light you can strap your camera to one of those consumer level auto tracking telescopes, preferably borrowing one.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Probably not in the opportunity to borrow a scope...
A friends point and shoot got some pretty descent pics in Thailand a while ago so im just pissed of my DSLR with fancy glass doesnt work.
Even if I set the exposure time the longest and the settings on bulb it still wont take a pic.

O well, ill just try and google a descent shot of the milky way and save it into my pictures then if I cant figure it out.

Thanks

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Probably not in the opportunity to borrow a scope...
A friends point and shoot got some pretty descent pics in Thailand a while ago so im just pissed of my DSLR with fancy glass doesnt work.
Even if I set the exposure time the longest and the settings on bulb it still wont take a pic.

O well, ill just try and google a descent shot of the milky way and save it into my pictures then if I cant figure it out.

Thanks
Did you up the ISO and set your F to the lowest settinig? Of course a tripod is mandatory.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Bulb mode is as long as you hold the shutter button down, the shutter stays open. If you are doing an exposure in excess of 30 seconds, then you should get a remote release with a locking button.

Higher iso will give you more noise. Use iso 100, f11 or f16 with a multiple minute shutter time. This should give decent results.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Ill try the bulb with holding the shutter down, didnt know about that.
Other then that I even put my ISO on 1600 just to see if it would work...
I dont have a remote so hopefully Ill be able to hold the shutter down long enough without moving, I tried a 30sec on auto but that wasnt long enough I guess because my cam just wouldnt take the pic.

Oh well, thanks again, hope this works!