Quantcast

TALAS service/maintenance questions.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Repair questions:
  • how often do they need to be wrenched?
  • what needs to be done routinely?
  • any special tools necessary?
  • how much would a shop gouge me for a repair?
Some general stuff:
  • is the talas itself worth it's price?
  • how would you describe it's durability in relation to other SC forks?

It's a lot, but thanks for any answers. ;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Superdeft said:
Repair questions:
  • how often do they need to be wrenched?
  • what needs to be done routinely?
  • any special tools necessary?
  • how much would a shop gouge me for a repair?
Some general stuff:
  • is the talas itself worth it's price?
  • how would you describe it's durability in relation to other SC forks?

It's a lot, but thanks for any answers. ;)
1)extremely seldom
2)Change fluid (proprietary "float fluid")
3)Some tube clamps are nice to grab stantions ("special" is subjective, are you used to rebuilding forks?
4)I think $60-80 will get you a shop rebuild if you go to one with a clue, not sure about fox rebuilds but I think they are slightly more.

Price: if you want the most versitile (in terms of adjustability) air fork, this is it. I've got one that came oem on an enduro and it's probably the best piece of equipment on that bike. I never touch the lockout or the compression damper so I'd say cut a few dollars off and just get the rebound damped one. They are expensive but they are also the only fork made with such incremental travel adjustments that maintains the same spring rate.

Durability:Don't know. Mine is over a year old and hasn't stopped feeling brand new yet. The only reason I took mine apart was to check the cleanliness of the float fluid after last summer. It was virtually spotless. Based on other fox forks, I'd say watch out for the dropouts on the older ones. Anything 04 will be with a different casting and a little beefier. I've personally never seen one break but have heard a few reports and seen a picture or two online of broken ones. They were usually being abused from the sounds of the stories I heard though.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have had mine for almost a year and I absolutely love it also, although it is really stiff I would have liked a 20mm axle option(for wheelset swaps with my DH bike), that is my only semi-complaint about it. Otherwise it has performed flawlessly the whole time without maintenance. Like Kidwoo, I never use the compression or lock-out so save the dough and go TALAS R. Best fork in it's class hands down!

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
i've heard good things about the 05 fox line, specifically better lowers and silent vanilla operation. Most stuff has been bumped to 130mm, so the vanilla is pretty appealing (sans noise issue). I'd probably get a regular vanillaR in that case, but i don't know when they're going to be available...