Quantcast

Talas versus Pike???

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
So I am thinking about getting either a Pike or a Talas fork for it. Just wondering what people think either way. The Talas is lighter, and is a Fox for heaven's sake, but the Pike is less expensive. I'm going to be running this on a MOB frame, set up pretty simple (if only the frame would arrive:rolleyes: ) So both seem like good stuff, just wondering what people think.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Its really tough to go wrong with a Talas. They are great forks. Pikes seem good too, but from what I've heard down at my local bike shop, Fox is a much easier company to work with if something were to ever break on the Talas.

Go with The Talas, they're assembled right up the road from you in Watsonville, Ca (santa cruz county) Give them your support.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Can't tell you about the Talas, but I've been running Pikes for almost a year with no trouble. If you get one, make sure it has the new arch that is not waffled the whole way down. Two people in town broke the old style, and Rock Shox sent them both brand new Pikes, no questions asked! I personally run mine locked out for DJ and urban and it's perfect since it still leaves like 10 mm of travel, you can pump the heck outta tranny's! Also the Pike is 20 mm axle and the Talas is QR, dunno if that matters to you tho. I'm not completely sold on Fox Forx, almost every one I've ever felt has had some slop in the bushings. Just my experience tho. . .in a shop.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I have a talas on my chase for djin and its great. Fork feels stiff and has held up great so far, but then again its dirt jumping so having the best performing fork isnt to big a deal.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
Muuqi said:
I'm not completely sold on Fox Forx, almost every one I've ever felt has had some slop in the bushings. Just my experience tho. . .in a shop.
yeah when i talked to our fox rep he said that all fox forks are suposed to have a few mm of bushing slop.:confused:
what kind of rider are you, cause if you're, say, not that smooth, or, over 170 lbs and you're DJing and riding park, you might want to go with somthing with a 20mm TA.
the fox is easy to work on and easy to work with the company, so realy it comes down to your choice and riding style