Quantcast

Tales from the bike shop: Female logic :thumb:

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
So Mom comes in with her kids. Her son is about 12 and she wants to get him a bike to ride home from school. He knows exactly what he wants: a BMX bike with a 3-piece crank, gyroscope and pegs. Mom has no clue.

Son shows her what he wants. Mom shakes her head and says: "But that is so impractical! You can hardly pedal!" and tries to talk him into something else. Perhaps a bike more like the one the sister is getting (Hardrock Sport). But he'll have none of it, insists on the BMX bike, but can give no "valid" reason for choosing it.

I have already spent an hour with this family helping the younger daughter gain confidence and not be afraid of a "bigger" bike (it was her first 26"-wheeled bike), riding alongside her in the parking lot and teaching her how to shift. The mom trusts me. She sees that her kids respond well to me. So, when she can get nowhere with her son, she turns to me, "Laura, what do you think? Isn't this impractical?"

I purse my lips and look at her. What I see is a kid excited about a bike.

"Um... you ever buy any of those high heeled shoes with the real pointy toes? Yeah, the uncomfortable ones that look really hot? Yes. OK, so... they're really impractical. But you probably loved them, 'cause you looked great and had fun wearing them..."

She sighed. I tried not to smile.

The kid got the Mosh BMX bike with the gold hubs, gyro and pegs.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
Great story. Loved how you put it in terms Mommy would understand. Sounds like a great LBS you work at

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Oh btw, Sunny - what is the name and where is the shop you work at. Sounds like a cool shop.

Wish more of our shops had employees like you working in them.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Bless you! My first bike was not the one of my choosing, so I had to suffer the indignities of ridicule at the hands of my well-heeled neighbors on their GTs, Diamondbacks, Redlines, Fujis and Schwinns. My no-name, sub-Huffy banana-seated beast carried me along for years, eventually getting painted metallic purple about the time Hutch catalogs started pushing purple anodized parts. I never knew the joy of nylon mags, 3-piece cranks and freewheel/rim brakes until I was finally old enough to get a paper route(according to the Washington Post).

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Oh btw, Sunny - what is the name and where is the shop you work at. Sounds like a cool shop.

Wish more of our shops had employees like you working in them.
Thanks for all the props! I do enjoy working in a shop, but like everyone who does, occasionally I question WHY I do it (and not something more lucrative). The answer always comes back: "Bike Parts." NO! WAIT! I mean "Quality of Life." :biggrin:

And the material. I mean, you can't make this stuff up.

So when I have those long and tedious days, these stories and your encouragement really help. Thanks!

I work at UC Cyclery in La Jolla, CA. If you're ever going to be in the area, please let me know, so I'll be sure to be there.

Thanks for all the props! I do enjoy working in a shop, but like everyone who does, occasionally I question WHY I do it (and not something more lucrative). The answer always comes back: "Bike Parts." NO! WAIT! I mean "Quality of Life." :biggrin:

And the material. I mean, you can't make this stuff up.

So when I have those long and tedious days, these stories and your encouragement really help. Thanks!

I work at UC Cyclery in La Jolla, CA. If you're ever going to be in the area, please let me know, so I'll be sure to be there.

you guys are rigth on teh edge of a huge mall right? i did a clinic with the service dept on lefty's. was definitely impressed with the shop when i was there.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
you guys are rigth on teh edge of a huge mall right? i did a clinic with the service dept on lefty's. was definitely impressed with the shop when i was there.
More of a shopping center than a mall... There's a Ralph's directly across and a Trader Joe's, Chipotle, etc...

I've only been there since June, so I missed your clinic. Are you up for another? I'm infinately teachable.

BTW, I'm now taking mtn bike rides from the shop to the UCSD trails (the old cyclocross track area). Tuesdays at 8am.

More of a shopping center than a mall... There's a Ralph's directly across and a Trader Joe's, Chipotle, etc...

I've only been there since June, so I missed your clinic. Are you up for another? I'm infinately teachable.

BTW, I'm now taking mtn bike rides from the shop to the UCSD trails (the old cyclocross track area). Tuesdays at 8am.
most likely will be back by late november i think (still working out the schedule). but will give you a shout before i head in to make sure you know when. It is actually more of a tech clinic for mechanics, but if sales people want to know, I am HAPPY to teach them. makes a big difference when you know what you are talking about to the customers.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
most likely will be back by late november i think (still working out the schedule). but will give you a shout before i head in to make sure you know when. It is actually more of a tech clinic for mechanics, but if sales people want to know, I am HAPPY to teach them. makes a big difference when you know what you are talking about to the customers.
Give me a few days heads up. I'll make you pumpkin or banaba bread.