Quantcast

Tales from the bike shop: Why I love my job

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Last Friday I found myself assisting a 14 year-old boy who was in the shop with his parents. They had "just stopped in" to have their son test ride a road bike. Unknown to the young man, the parents had special ordered and already bought the bike (Specialized Allez Sport), and were surprising their son with the gift. Seems he has been riding a lot and struggling up many hills with his dad's old cruiser. When he was awarded an academic and community achievement award, the parents decided to give him a reward as well, and were getting him the bike that day.

You should have seen this kid's face when he realized the bike was already his... he beamed from ear to ear, and not knowing how to express his happiness, cast his gaze the the ground and just slowly shook his head and smiled.

His parents were eager to get him all outfitted with shorts, jersey, shoes, helmet, etc. As he was trying on his gear in the dressing room, the mother said she had been speaking to the shop owner (Dave), when they had ordered the bike, and had asked him about a cycling coach for Taylor. I replied that I didn't know who Dave had in mind, but that this was an excellent idea, and I strongly recommended coaching. She responded that Dave had mentioned that I would be a good coach.

Oh! Me? Well, sure, I've coached people before, and I'd be happy to help her son.

As the young man was hoping to go on the group ride the following morning (!), the only time for coaching would be to meet him before the ride at 7am, coach him for an hour, and see if he is ready. I suggest this to the parents, and we agree to meet the following morning at the shop.

With the father and son at the front of the shop, the mom comes to the back where I am, and asks me to be sure to talk to Taylor about road safety, as she had a cyclist friend who was killed when a person in a parked car opened a door suddenly and the cyclist struck the door. My jaw drops. Here is this mother whose friend is killed whilst cycling, through little to no fault of his own, and even so, she's willing to allow her young son to put himself in the same "danger" because she values living deeply over living "safely". She wants me to mention these things because "a mother can only tell you so much," and that instruction coming from a coach often "has more value." Wow. My respect for these parents grows by the moment.

The next morning we met at the shop bright and early. I had spoken to Taylor the day before about nutrition and what he would need to get through a 2 to 3-hour ride. I bring a sampler bag of different flavored energy gels so that he can try some. Our first coaching drill is getting in and out of clips, then simulated traffic signs, and hand signals. He masters these in no time at all. We progress to riding in traffic, ascending hills, and shifting drills. Thankfully there is little traffic at that hour, so we are able to ease into the idea of sharing the road. I notice he tends to drift into the middle of the lane when turning, rather than staying closer to the curb or in the bike lane, so I make a point of keeping him on my right and and emphasizing that cars will not be courteous or mindful of cyclists.

It's now 8:10, and we head back to the shop. Feeling he's ready for the group ride, I give him the green light to go, but tell him I won't be coming since I have to work. He's disappointed, but he's confident enough that going alone (even as the only teenager in the group) is not such an overwhelming thing. He's the kind of kid you wish you could instruct every day. I remind him that he has a cell phone and tell him to call me or his dad if he has any trouble.

At 8:30, as the 100 or so cyclists in the parking lot begin to break into their various ride groups, Dave (my boss) tells me that they should be OK at the shop, and that I may go on the ride if I want to. Yes! I quickly grab another water bottle, slap on the sunscreen, and ride out to join the "C-" group where Taylor is. He and another girl who just bought her bike a couple days ago both express their relief that I'll be coming. I had just coached Kim in the fundamentals of riding in clips, and she says she feels better knowing that I'll be there if she has any questions. With the two of them excited that I'm coming, I now feel like a total rock star, and marvel that I get paid to do these kinds of things.

We take off on the ride, and every so often I find myself telling one or the other of them, "We're stopping for this light; clip out now and just rest your feet on the pedals," so they can begin to be mindful of when to clip out, or "We ride on the white lines a lot, but if it's raining or wet out, the paint on the road gets really slick," or any number of things a newbie might not know. When I ride behind Kim and notice that she's working too hard, I say, "Click the small black lever on the right twice." She does this and immediately responds with, "Oh wow! That's so much better! What did I just do?" After taking a closer look at the other riders, I see that a number of these beginner riders are not shifting very efficiently. I ask the ride leader if she wouldn't mind if I conduct a brief shifting clinic at the cafe at the 1/2-way point. The response is tremendous, and the riders are remarkably gracious and appreciative.

For Taylor and Kim, the whole tone of the ride went from "an intimidating first group ride" to "an encouraging and triumphant first group ride," as it should be. Both of them totally killed it on the climbs, and should probably move up to a faster group on their next ride. They returned to the shop full of energy and excited to be a part of the cycling community. They remind me of the day I first felt like a "real cyclist." I remember the ride, the route, the crispness in the New Jersey autumn air, and feeling like I even looked like I belonged on a bicycle. Their excitement and great experience totally made my day. And I'm still feeling it a week later.

Sometimes I ask myself why I work in a bike shop when I could make a lot more money some other place... It's days like this that answer that question. Although it's not without its headaches, all told, I love my job.

Just thought I'd share the warm fuzzies with my online bike peeps. :)

-sunny

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Sunny, that's AWESOME! It's always a wonderful feeling to teach someone something. The gift of knowledge is the best gift you can ever try to give to anyone.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is a shifting clinic?

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
That is absolutely some great stuff right there.

OMGF says he has been noticing younger cyclists, not just on mountain bikes, but actually cycling.

This is a good thing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
robdamanii said:
Just out of curiosity, what exactly is a shifting clinic?
It's exactly what it sounds like... a short lesson and demonstration of proper shifting techniques :) - it's amazing how many people don't understand the basics of shifting and why/when to do it, just because nobody ever bothered to explain it to them.

Great stuff, sunny... Goes to show that the job isn't always about the pay :)

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
binary visions said:
It's exactly what it sounds like... a short lesson and demonstration of proper shifting techniques :) - it's amazing how many people don't understand the basics of shifting and why/when to do it, just because nobody ever bothered to explain it to them.

Great stuff, sunny... Goes to show that the job isn't always about the pay :)
Well, my main question was what basics do you explain? I just can't seem to wrap my head around the concept.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
robdamanii said:
Well, my main question was what basics do you explain? I just can't seem to wrap my head around the concept.
Well, I'm sure sunny can fill us in on what she went through, but I find the biggest concept that people have trouble with is cadence. They don't seem to understand that all those gears are there for them to use, and so they suffer up a hill pushing a big gear, or spin their legs out in a small gear.

When I taught my sister how to ride, one of the first things I showed her was how easy it made her life if she kept a good cadence and shifted accordingly.

Also, little things like don't shift under power, shift before you hit the hill rather than 10 feet into it, etc.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
binary visions said:
Well, I'm sure sunny can fill us in on what she went through, but I find the biggest concept that people have trouble with is cadence. They don't seem to understand that all those gears are there for them to use, and so they suffer up a hill pushing a big gear, or spin their legs out in a small gear.

When I taught my sister how to ride, one of the first things I showed her was how easy it made her life if she kept a good cadence and shifted accordingly.

Also, little things like don't shift under power, shift before you hit the hill rather than 10 feet into it, etc.
I thought all that was mostl common sense?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
robdamanii said:
I thought all that was mostl common sense?
Why would you expect it to be common sense?

Shifting under power? If you haven't ridden a bike much, or if you've been riding a BMX or a single speed cruiser, why would you expect to not be able to shift under power? And if you don't know that shifting under power is bad, why would you shift before you got to the hill?

You knew all of this stuff the first time you ever got on a bike? You consciously thought to yourself that you should keep a constant cadence and shift around that?

It's not common sense, really. Most of it might be logical if you sit down and think about the way the mechanical system works, but that doesn't make it common sense... And even the part that's logical should be explained properly, so that the rider is more conscious of it. The logic that keeping a constant cadence is good doesn't help if you're too busy concentrating on a dozen other things and you aren't thinking about it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
binary visions said:

Shifting under power? If you haven't ridden a bike much, or if you've been riding a BMX or a single speed cruiser, why would you expect to not be able to shift under power? And if you don't know that shifting under power is bad, why would you shift before you got to the hill?

You knew all of this stuff the first time you ever got on a bike? You consciously thought to yourself that you should keep a constant cadence and shift around that?

It's not common sense, really. Most of it might be logical if you sit down and think about the way the mechanical system works, but that doesn't make it common sense... And even the part that's logical should be explained properly, so that the rider is more conscious of it. The logic that keeping a constant cadence is good doesn't help if you're too busy concentrating on a dozen other things and you aren't thinking about it.

I know people who race MTB at a high level who still don't know how to shift their bikes. Shift under heavy power and are constantly cross chained.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
binary visions said:

I think you articulated what I was meaning. I guess common sense was the wrong phrase to use.

I never really had a problem with cadence and keeping the right gear (I usually just base it on my RPE), and cross chaining made a lot of sense to me by just looking at the chain line when in those gears (when I bought my first bike, I put it on a trainer first and looked at it thoroughly and rode it etc). Shifting under load took me a few times to understand that it wasn't a great idea. Usually I don't bother to shift uphill anymore, I just stand, so that alleviates the issue.

I guess on a roadie though, it's going to be a little bit tougher on the learning curve. It took me a good 2 weeks of solid riding to actually feel comfortable on skinny tires. It makes sense to me.

Thanks for putting me straight there. :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Echo said:
This has to be in the top 10 RM threads of all time :thumb:
I would definitely agree with that!!! :thumb:

AWESOME work Sunny! I wish that I had someone as helpful as you in my area to teach me how to ride when I was younger (ok, who am I kidding, I could use the coaching now ;) )

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
That's awesome. One ouf our customers asked if our manager could do a little diddy with his magic fingers to fix his derailleur. But your story is much better.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
robdamanii said:
Good question - BV has the right idea: 1) what is cadence, 2) what is shifting under power, 3) keep high gears with high gears and low gears with low gears, and 4) anticipating your shifting.

I have someone assist and hold the rear wheel off the ground while I simulate a hill-climb. We start from 2/5 (F/R) or so, and I shift through the progression to 2/1.
Once I'm tapped out in back, I tell them, I back off two gears (to 2/3), then shift the front to the small ring (1/3). Now I'm in granny with somewhere to go (two gears left before tapping out again).

I crest the simulated hill and begin the descent. I run the bike through the gears, telling them to listen to their bike for the indicator that it's time to shift. Your bike should not make noise. That little clicking (chain against the front derailleur) is telling them it's time to shift. Again, back off 1 or 2 in the rear, shift the front, then begin shifting into higher gears in the rear again.

I reach the big ring and am now in 3/8. I'm on the flats or descending. I simulate a traffic light at this point and tell them I should always be thinking of what comes next. For a cyclist at a stop light with drivetrain in 3/8, it's going to be difficult to get going again. I have anyone with a puzzled look come over and attempt to turn the crank arm from a dead stop while in this gear. Then I shift to 2/8. Much easier. In this manner I emphasize that you should always be thinking about what is happening next, even when you are coasting to a stop. I tell them I will drag the brakes while pedaling and shifting into the best gear for starting off again.

The question always is asked: "How do I know what gear I'm in?"

REAR: I have no good answer for this (other than running the levers tilll they won't go anymore) - any ideas?
FRONT: Look down.
When I tell this to new riders there are always protests - I have to watch the road, I can't ever tell, I can't see it, etc... When the protest came this time, I asked the woman who raised the objection what her profession is. She's a PE teacher. I asked her if she can identify the difference between a softball and a baseball from a glance across the gym. She can. I told her a lot of people probably could not. After a while, your eyes know what to look for, but until then, her eyes would have to be in training.

These are some of the things you teach people in a shifting clinic. Most of it is about the dynamics of shifting, but there's a big part of it that is just making people comfortable with the idea that they are now cyclists or are becoming cyclists. For those who come late to the cycling party, the whole "I'm a cyclist now" sometimes is a difficult concept.

:)

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
sunny said:
REAR: I have no good answer for this (other than running the levers tilll they won't go anymore) - any ideas?
The gear indicators were broken on my first real mountain bike. I learned to look down at the casette when I want to know what gear I am in and still do, even though I now have shifters that work.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
robdamanii said:
People teaching beginner clinics have to be prepared to explain the most obvious details in a supportive manner.

Quick example: after years of riding road, I crashed constantly on my first mtn bike. I had to figure out the hard way that I would use way too much front brake (which is the brake you should use primarily on the road).

After explaining that to my buddies, they were like, duh. Boy that felt good.

So instead of making it super hard for beginners, going over the most basic details, like how to shift under power or even which way to push the levers, will make things so much easier for them.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
sanjuro said:
People teaching beginner clinics have to be prepared to explain the most obvious details in a supportive manner.

Quick example: after years of riding road, I crashed constantly on my first mtn bike. I had to figure out the hard way that I would use way too much front brake (which is the brake you should use primarily on the road).

After explaining that to my buddies, they were like, duh. Boy that felt good.

So instead of making it super hard for beginners, going over the most basic details, like how to shift under power or even which way to push the levers, will make things so much easier for them.

I getcha. I kind of wish I'd had that when I started on the dirt. It would have been so much easier.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
OGRipper said:
I hope I can remember to look for this thread the next time someone says "Screw the LBS."
Just wait 5-10 minutes and a new "I hate/got screwed by/will never shop at/loath/pooped on the doormat of the LBS" thread is bound to pop up.

Nice work Sunny! And believe it or not I used to give tire changing clinics at the shop I worked at. 1 free 10 minute clinic led to everybody in attendance buying a pump, patch kit, and 10-15 tubes. That and I didn't get as bogged down with tube changes on Saturday morning while hung-over. A true winwin situation.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
OGRipper said:
I hope I can remember to look for this thread the next time someone says "Screw the LBS."
Problem is, many LBS do not have this positive of an attitude or helpfulness. Of course some do, including a couple of my LBS's which we are very fortunate to have.