Quantcast

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Lambert is the distributor in Canada if anyone north of the border is interested... Should have all their stock in a couple weeks.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
you have the down-o-matic? points of comparison in regards to fit? i'm looking to replace a vintage d2...

damn, they're cheap, too.
They fit a little bigger than a S/XS D2 with the smallest fit kit. The S/XS D2 fit a little short for me. The Down O Matic fits me well.

I rolled the dice on ordering online, but it worked out for me. I figured with the price, I couldn't go too far wrong. The D2s or D3s were just to $$$ for me. I tend to be hard on helmets.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Did they stop making carbon D2s? That sucks. I need to replace my old Carbon Phobia and the D3s are a fair bit more.

How does the sizing compared between the two for anyone who has had both?

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Did they stop making carbon D2s? That sucks. I need to replace my old Carbon Phobia and the D3s are a fair bit more.

How does the sizing compared between the two for anyone who has had both?
D3s run a little smaller from my experiance, I run a md/lg D2. Tried a medium D3 and it felt like my head was about to pop. A large D3 was significantly more "snug" than my D2, not a bad "snug" though.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
I am going to refrain from mercilessly f*cking with demo9 and give an honest opinion also.

Thor Force Carbon Fiber

used mine for 1 year so far, loved every bit of it. removable interior pads, lightweight for a DOT helmet, killer low-key graphics, and surprisingly breathable for a FF DOT moto lid. also, I've found that my goggles fit better/snugger on this helmet than any other I've worn, including my D2.

not sure if this qualifies as cool enough for the kid who has 3+ of everything high-end, but it's just another great helmet for the money and I thought I'd try to make your decision that much harder.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
D3s run a little smaller from my experiance, I run a md/lg D2. Tried a medium D3 and it felt like my head was about to pop. A large D3 was significantly more "snug" than my D2, not a bad "snug" though.
Ah perfect. I'll go the large then. I've got the MD/LG D2 now. Cheers mate

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
yeah, i run md/lrg d2 (that fits perfect), but the large d3 was almost too tight in length. seems the new shape is a little more spherical.

Get the D3. Those that hate it cant get it. Those that have it want more.

It the boss with the leatt. Loads of look up compared to other lids. The ventilation alone is worth it, crazy cool head makes for crazy cool vision. Its the most daddy-O.

Friends don't let friends look like C3-PO with those wizzy-whack POC lids.

For the worlds fastest racers my man, for the worlds fastest racers.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
THE don't have full atsm 1952, therefore I would rule them out.
D3 offers superior protection to the D2.
POC and Urge are ugly.

I can't get over you wearing the ugly, uncomfortable, cheap, old helmet! I replace my helmets yearly and my bikes when I can, you seem to be the total opposite. Foam is 1 hit and glue deteriorates. Replace your helmet as often as you can.

D3s are for winners.
Poc is nice - just don't get the white version. I've seen it in orange and it's cool.
Urge is very nice looking in real life
D3 is for bike hipsters with matching pj's.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

It the boss with the leatt. Loads of look up compared to other lids. The ventilation alone is worth it, crazy cool head makes for crazy cool vision. Its the most daddy-O.

I cant even figure out what your saying :confused:

As for the rest of you hooligans, it seems that the majority seems to like the D3 (or D2 for the price) While the rest like poc, and some outliers.

I am leaning towards the TLD, not because its omfg awesome flashy colors (it will be the flat black 1) Everybody i know that had a D2 says upgrade. The only thing i hear against it on here, is a few saying comfort (which is different for us all) I like that it has the emergency-get-it-off-your-head-while-we-scrape-you-off-the-trail feature, seems nice.

Any Poc fans want to speak up in support of their brand.

*lastly, the tags are getting old, dont you guys have something better to do? Also for the few that say try them on, the only helmet i have the opportunity to try on is jonkranked's In north jersey, no shops stock fullface helmets, and many dont even stock BMX. Its all road here, not a chance i could find a D3 or poc in stock.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
unfortunately, MIPS version is only available in white.
It sucks a bit. I thought the MIPS is available in orange because Wallner rides in one. Strange he would ride the lower end model. Though I have to say it was very comfy when I tried one.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen

I legitimately can't tell if this is a joke or not. I mean, I THINK it's a joke, but then again...

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
I had a POC Cortex DH for 2010, went through three of them before I finally gave up. Problem was the two rotating shells that were the MIPS system, they would slide when you were putting it on/taking it off and you would lose the little pin in the top of the helmet that locked them together. After the third one gave me grief I returned it for a refund.

I was told they were going to fix it for 2011 but heard recently they are only going to include more spare pins in with the helmet! No acceptable IMHO.

The cheaper single shell POC helmets may be the ones to go for but of course, no carbon and less safety features.

I generally rate POC stuff and use their elbow, knee, vest and tee products with PVD.

Im trying to work out what t buy this week, TLD D3, THE T2 or Urge.

strahan

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
victoria, bc
I'm surprised the new Fox V3R Carbon isn't on anybody's list? They've got 3 new poaint jobs and I keep debating on pulling the trigger on a leftover 2010.

What about that one? Cheaper, carbon, just as big and meets all the same test.
A V3R is what i settled on for a new lid, but didn't like the stock graphics so i did a little art project.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I brained myself in my POC lid towards the end of last year, and ended up just using my old spare D2 again until I could find something I wanted.

I don't want another POC, not because it was a bad lid, but they are bloody expensive in the UK now & as shallow as it sounds, it looked absolutely rediculous.

I've just bought one of those bare carbon/pinstipe D3's from Ebay US, over here they want over twice as much as I can get it from the States for, shipped. :(

I looked at the T2, but always had reservations over the questionable issue of safety test passing with THE lids - I couldn't seem to find any info if thats been addressed now or not. Nevermind, the D3 worked out cheaper only marginally more than the composite T2 anyway.

Tried a Fox V3R as well, but apparently they don't suit the shape of my head.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I had a POC Cortex DH for 2010, went through three of them before I finally gave up. Problem was the two rotating shells that were the MIPS system, they would slide when you were putting it on/taking it off and you would lose the little pin in the top of the helmet that locked them together. After the third one gave me grief I returned it for a refund.

I was told they were going to fix it for 2011 but heard recently they are only going to include more spare pins in with the helmet! No acceptable IMHO.

The cheaper single shell POC helmets may be the ones to go for but of course, no carbon and less safety features.

I generally rate POC stuff and use their elbow, knee, vest and tee products with PVD.

Im trying to work out what t buy this week, TLD D3, THE T2 or Urge.
I never experienced the issue your describing with the helmet. Of the few other people I know with them who have the same lid, haven't had it either. Do you know of anyone else who experienced this?

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
I never experienced the issue your describing with the helmet. Of the few other people I know with them who have the same lid, haven't had it either. Do you know of anyone else who experienced this?
Not personally Jon but I understand POC acknowledge the issue and have taken steps to resolve for next year. I had a frank conversation with the distributor who shared some info with me that supported I wasn't the only person to have issues.
as i said, they have made some changes for next year which address the issue to a degree, not enough for me to try one again but hopefully the helmet will improve with another cycle of iteration. It's definitely leading the way in terms of safety i feel but sadly not reliability.
The other thing i heard is poc are increasing their production runs this year to avoid the lack of stock they suffered with last year too which is a good thing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not personally Jon but I understand POC acknowledge the issue and have taken steps to resolve for next year. I had a frank conversation with the distributor who shared some info with me that supported I wasn't the only person to have issues.
as i said, they have made some changes for next year which address the issue to a degree, not enough for me to try one again but hopefully the helmet will improve with another cycle of iteration. It's definitely leading the way in terms of safety i feel but sadly not reliability.
The other thing i heard is poc are increasing their production runs this year to avoid the lack of stock they suffered with last year too which is a good thing.
i dont find it terribly shocking that they're having a few issues. they're still fairly new to the industry, and i guess are working a few things out. Like I said, I haven't personally had this issues, but I'll certainly keep an eye on it.

Good to know they're increasing production too. I had a hell of a time tracking down the MIPS helmet last year. I think they just really underestimated how much of their stuff they could sell. They're primarily a snow company, so I'm hoping that this is a sign that they're taking their wheels division a lot more seriously.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Most of the people here who say get the D3, only sound like they like it cause it's cool. Personally, the XL fits me better than any other helmet I've tried. (Bell Drop, Giro Remedy, 661 something, and Fox V3 moto.)

I had one, and ultimately destroyed it in one of the worst crashes I've ever had. Speaking from truth: Never, ever, overshoot the last jump on A-line. I landed on my head/shoulder and walked away from it...

Yeah, it sucks that I killed it, but I'm convinced to get another one. Check with your retailer to see if they offer a return policy. Helmets are like shoes. If you order it on-line, and it doesn't exactly fit, they should have a good return policy.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I've had Urge in my hands again today. They are a bit on the small side but they are light, look great in person and cost a fraction of the price of the d3 (save some money and buy that trailbike ;) )

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I will say, the urge look much better in person than in photos. However, they need to do something about the damn portals they use as vents! A few angles and it'd be a great looking helmet. Still not sold on the visor either, but it's a good idea.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The only time we ever see ourselves in a helmet is in photos (or video) so why buy one that apparently looks much uglier in pics?