Quantcast

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The only time we ever see ourselves in a helmet is in photos (or video) so why buy one that apparently looks much uglier in pics?

I dont think its bad at all I dont think pictures do alot of products justice then being its a bit different makes people a little unsure...

I liked it in the pics the fact it was a bit different was my hangup, then when it came in it was a different story..I like the looks and the vents.
Light, cool, fits well. :thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I like the custom painted V3R and would love to see a custom painted POC, maybe with the rear fin from Troy Lee and a custom visor. Ulmer stickered his stock POC up and made it look more respectable, but I'm not creative enough to pull that off.

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
For me the D3 Pinstripe suits my down to earth styling sense down to the ground, the price does not suit me so I decided to get a group of helmets in to try.

Its immediately obvious the quality of the TLD D3 is steps above the others, higher quality padding, better fit, what appears to be better ventilation and just generally a higher quality item. I asked my missus to put them in price order which she sussed as soon as she picked them up. The 661 feels cheap and the quality of padding/fit is immediately less comfortable and secure. The THE T2 is a step up but falls way short of the D3 but then you would expect that give it retails at half the price so no surprises there then.

Sadly it seems I just convinced myself to keep the D3.

WEIGHTS - not that its that important but you can see the differences

Quality of fittings

INTERIORS

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Went with the D3, was 60/40 compared to the poc but with the few people i talked to saying dont do it, and the issues on here, it sealed up the deal for me. Large D3 with no graphics ordered, same 1 as the write up from above.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've found a few good deals on the D3 in medium online, but no larges. Judging from the fit comments from everybody, I assume I should get the Large, not the medium.

My D2 is a med/large and fits perfect. My chipmunk cheeks are the only squeeze.

My question is this. Is it true the medium and large D3's are the same shell with a different pad set? And if so, how much is a Large padset to go in the medium shell?

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
I've found a few good deals on the D3 in medium online, but no larges. Judging from the fit comments from everybody, I assume I should get the Large, not the medium.

My D2 is a med/large and fits perfect. My chipmunk cheeks are the only squeeze.

My question is this. Is it true the medium and large D3's are the same shell with a different pad set? And if so, how much is a Large padset to go in the medium shell?
Can you pm me details on where you found good deals please? Thanks in adv!

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Also recently got my D3. Fitment was a bit tighter than the D2 but after a few rides, I found that it was one of the most comfortable lids i've ever owned. I was on a M/L D2 and bought the Large D3. Was concerned at first since the D3 felt small but the pads immediately broke in after 2 local runs. I also scored my carbon D3 for under $400 online, w/ shipping.

Sizing.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
395 is stupid.
Even though the Aussie dollar is pretty much the same as the US one now, over here the composite D3 costs $415 and the Carbon D3 is more like $750. Last years D2 carbons are now on sale for $430 AUD - down from $610 last year.

All helmets are stupidly expensive for some reason, probably to do with the costs associated with meeting Australian Standards or something.

All helmets are stupidly expensive for some reason, probably to do with the costs associated with meeting Australian Standards or something.

Bingo. Australia has it's own stupidly obscure standards to meet. Limiting supply and increasing price.

The Kiwi's are happy to take the European standards.

Perhaps the Aussie's are just being cautious to preserve what little brain cells they have;)

JT

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Wait.... You're saying Australia has more stringent helmet protection laws. So does that mean their D3s are more protective?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
no, gravity works differently when you're south of the equator. NZ isn't far enough south for it to make a difference though.
Ah, gotcha. I lived in Melbourne for 2 years, so that explains why I weighed a lot more down there. Thank god I didn't hit my head.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
As much as I love Australia – the place is ridiculous in many ways, particularly their health and safety rules. If anyone thought the UK has gone overboard … you aint seen nothing yet.

(don’t even get me started on their censorship of video games, resistance to any imported goods and overly nationalistic sense of national pride!)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
your 80 dollar helmet is clearly not a d3.

dont even go there
Yes, they're not even close. Mine leaves money in my pocket and isn't dangerous for DH riding.

Edit:

My personal experience about people who wear D2/D3

1. They get more head injuries
2. They're the kind of people who don't replace their helmets anywhere near as often as they should because "they're too expensive"

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Maybe that's why he got knocked out.:D

I'm looking around for a deal on one because they fit like a champ, and they're really close to DOT cert, which is good for riding my snowmoskootr.

And they DON'T look like a damn light bulb bobbling around on your head.
No, his head injuries were with a non d3 lid.

Anyways, continue on with the RM banter.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The D3 doesn't fit me right. Nice helmet but not worth much if it doesn't fit. See if you can try one on somewhere.

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
In all honesty?

Because most of them look gay as shlt, and they're way too hot.

Weight was always something that used to bug me about them too but that's becoming less of an issue obviously.
Some of the cheaper helmets look pretty bad, but mostly any of the higher end stuff is not only good looking but amazingly light. Did I mention they offer way better protection? That too. Other than TLD pretty much all mtb helmets look like something my cat pukes up (isn't that a colorway?)

You know, I ride my moto in 40*C doing lots of 1st and second gear rock sections and gnarly trails and heat is not much of an issue for me.

Take a poke around this site: http://www.airoh.com/helmets/off_road

2.09lbs+ moto helmets that for the most part are better looking than most mtb helmets.

mexicandh

Chimp
Aug 10, 2011
D3 is awesome, i broke my femur 2 months ago, and i didn't landed first on my leg as you would think, first i faceplanted and then my femur hit the ground and broke in half, my d3 compressed so much, that the nose protector thing of the googles broke beacause of touching the ground, i didin't had any brain damage or didin't felt anything, the carbon did cracked, but i don't care, it saved me from a good concussion or worse.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
D3 is awesome, i broke my femur 2 months ago, and i didn't landed first on my leg as you would think, first i faceplanted and then my femur hit the ground and broke in half, my d3 compressed so much, that the nose protector thing of the googles broke beacause of touching the ground, i didin't had any brain damage or didin't felt anything, the carbon did cracked, but i don't care, it saved me from a good concussion or worse.
Just to make sure, english isn't your first language right?