Quantcast

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I wish the quality moto companies would release DH-specific helmets.

I like my Fox V3R a lot, though.
Shoei VFX are very nice, not too hot. I use my TLD SE2 when trails are rocky and the old D2 for mellow stuff. A Shoei may be my next helmet.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Did I mention they offer way better protection?
Correct me if I'm wrong but the D3 is devoid of DOT cert just because of the vents right?

I'm fine with those because they fit my concussion sphere like a champ and don't look like light bulbs. I don't ride moto so I don't see the helmets too much.....even the ones you linked too look like the sweat shops I've tried on.

But I trust you. :p

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
I've never understood why MTB'ers bitch and complain about $400 helmets but will carelessly drop $150+ on pedals, $300+ on cranks or some fork upgrade that will hardly make them any faster. For ****s sake it's your freaking brain.

Buy the best fitting, quality helmet you can reasonably afford.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I've never understood why MTB'ers bitch and complain about $400 helmets but will carelessly drop $150+ on pedals, $300+ on cranks or some fork upgrade that will hardly make them any faster. For ****s sake it's your freaking brain.

Buy the best fitting, quality helmet you can reasonably afford.
Helmets are disposable, thats why. Pedals are...but slightly less so. I change my DOT helmet at least once a year, maybe twice. I've never seen anyone rocking a D3/D2 replace there helmet more than once a year. Hell all the people I know who run D2/D3 helmets run them for 2+ years! I'm just sayin...

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2011
I might have gone the D3 way if they fit my head. Along with Fox, 661 and Giro not fitting the POC is very nice, took some good hits in it aswell.

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
Helmets are disposable, thats why. Pedals are...but slightly less so. I change my DOT helmet at least once a year, maybe twice. I've never seen anyone rocking a D3/D2 replace there helmet more than once a year. Hell all the people I know who run D2/D3 helmets run them for 2+ years! I'm just sayin...
Do you land on your head that often that you need to replace your helmet twice a year? Maybe you need some lessons

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
2 helmets a year?? WTF? Unless you crash on your head repeatedly that's ridiculous.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Maybe not twice a year, I think about ever 9 months is my average right now.

Do you land on your head that often that you need to replace your helmet twice a year? Maybe you need some lessons
Nah, 1 mild concussion my whole life and it was on an xc ride. Thanks though.

2 helmets a year?? WTF? Unless you crash on your head repeatedly that's ridiculous.
More ridiculous than paying $400 for a tin can helmet and not replacing it every year? I've got 7 years of post secondary education and counting (hoping it stops at 8, ha ha), I'm arrogant enough to think my brain is worth wayyyyy more than 1-2 helmets a year. It blows me away to see people using mtb full faces for 1-2 years or more. Just seems like absolute insanity to me.

Only problem is I find myself with a stack of half-good moto helmets every so often in my garage. At least I have spares to loan people I guess.

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
If you havn't damaged the helmet, why would you need to replace it so soon?

Replacing it every 2-3 years if it hasn't suffered an impact sounds fine to me

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you havn't damaged the helmet, why would you need to replace it so soon?

Replacing it every 2-3 years if it hasn't suffered an impact sounds fine to me
I love the myth that if the outer shell isn't cracked the helmet will still protect you. Have you even wondered why POC helmets are classified as multi impact? It is not the outer shell but the inner one.
Most helmets after a few crashes absorb much less energy = more easily to get concussed. Post here after you get your first cerebral hemorrhage or loose sight and sound for a few minutes. If you want to replace your helmet every 2-3 years buy a POC like I did ;)

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
I'll say it again... if you havn't damaged the helmet why would it need replacing after 9 months?

I'm not disputing the fact that a helmet that has taken an impact should be retired :rolleyes:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I'll say it again... if you havn't damaged the helmet why would it need replacing after 9 months?

I'm not disputing the fact that a helmet that has taken an impact should be retired :rolleyes:
And how exactly do you determine whether the helmet has been damaged? Do you have magical non-destructive technique for seeing if the foams been compressed?

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Shoei VFX are very nice, not too hot. I use my TLD SE2 when trails are rocky and the old D2 for mellow stuff. A Shoei may be my next helmet.
I've been using my Shoei VFX for the last 2 years, it is great. It is not too hot, actually better than the TLD D2 I had before it, and the chin bar doesn't re-direct my breath directly into my goggles like my D2 did. It is the most comfortable helmet I have ever used, of course a lot of that is because it fits my head shape perfectly.

I tried on every brand of helmet I could. The Fox V3 is good for the price but is too hard to get on and off if you have a large head... felt like it was raping my face when I tried to get it off. So if you have a wide jaw, don't get a V3. The Thor superlight carbon helmet was also really nice, so is the TLD SE... but Shoei is a step above IMO, and you can find them on clearance for the low 300's, I paid $330 for mine, retail is $585.

They are $389 right now:

http://www.btosports.com/p/SPECIAL-OFFER

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Shoei's are very good helmets, definitely nicer fit and finish than a TLD or mostly any other helmet for that matter. If you have an opportunity to pick one up, do so.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
yeah I would have tried the Shoei if there was one locally to try on. But the Fox V3R came up cheaper, and I knew how Fox helmets fit...

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
well, nice to meet me :) i replace my helmet if i crash on it a couple of times pretty hard. ive never had to replace after one crash as i havent had a hit that hard yet, but i would if i had to.

i'm not rich by any means, but i do know that my head is worth more than $400 saved in the bank.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I know if I've crashed in it and hit the helmet?
Well big crashes ya, obviously replace after that. But who doesn't have lots of "little crashes". Sliding out in turns, small bails, things like that where you might hit your head not so hard. Who knows how those things might add up. They probably don't, but I'm not taking that chance. I'm not saying my helmets are toast after 9 months, they're probably fine. But I'm just not a risk taker when it comes to that. But 2 years is just ridiculous. IF you're not replacing it every 2 years you are either A. stupid, or B. Ride at a very low level of intensity.

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
Nah I agree they do need retiring after a while. I'll probably replace mine next season. I just thought that 9 months was a little overboard that's all :)

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Well big crashes ya, obviously replace after that. But who doesn't have lots of "little crashes". Sliding out in turns, small bails, things like that where you might hit your head not so hard. Who knows how those things might add up. They probably don't, but I'm not taking that chance. I'm not saying my helmets are toast after 9 months, they're probably fine. But I'm just not a risk taker when it comes to that. But 2 years is just ridiculous. IF you're not replacing it every 2 years you are either A. stupid, or B. Ride at a very low level of intensity.
Shoei recommends 5 years. I have had my helmet 2 years without any hits to my head... knock on wood. Some people crash more than others, doesn't necessarily have to do with how hard they ride. Leland commented he has not hit his head in 20 years of riding, and he's not slow.

certified

Chimp
Aug 31, 2011
UK
The D3 is an excellent helmet, It has great venting my head is much cooler than my last 611 carbon. I like the little touches of carbon bolts etc.... I just bought the plain black carbon, as some of the troylee designs I really dislike.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Those VFX lids actually don't look too light bulby.

They're not sweat ovens?

edit: WHOA.........$550?
Yeah they are "expensive". Yes they are also hotter than a D2 or even D3 is just as those are hotter than say some $299 Roadie helmet. I would for sure suggest trying one on. You live in Tahoe how much pedalling up are you doing? It's been about 10 years but I don't recall many long uphills on Karpiel.:rofl:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/6/25149/ITEM/Shoei-VFX-W-Illusion-Helmet.aspx?SiteID=CSE_Gbase_25149&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=45&zmap=25149

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I don''t think it's hotter than my D2.

Also, watch btosports for sales, they will go down to the low 300's soon.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah they are "expensive". Yes they are also hotter than a D2 or even D3 is just as those are hotter than say some $299 Roadie helmet. I would for sure suggest trying one on. You live in Tahoe how much pedalling up are you doing? It's been about 10 years but I don't recall many long uphills on Karpiel.:rofl:
Uh......yeah...I don't pedal uphill with a full face on, ever. That's not what I'm talking about.

You've never ridden a really physical descent trail in hot weather? Ventilation is good. Schweaty goggles bad.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
You've never ridden a really physical descent trail in hot weather? Ventilation is good. Schweaty goggles bad.
SB trails at over 100 degrees. Yeah I know what you mean. Not sure may have a VFX to ride with here soon! I will let you know how warm it is!

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
More ridiculous than paying $400 for a tin can helmet and not replacing it every year? I've got 7 years of post secondary education and counting (hoping it stops at 8, ha ha), I'm arrogant enough to think my brain is worth wayyyyy more than 1-2 helmets a year. It blows me away to see people using mtb full faces for 1-2 years or more. Just seems like absolute insanity to me.

Only problem is I find myself with a stack of half-good moto helmets every so often in my garage. At least I have spares to loan people I guess.
The D2 was definitely on the sketchy end of protection but the D3 seems pretty darn solid. Certainly not a "tin can".

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Treid my new cf D3 yesterday, bought it at closeout on bto sports, pretty cheap now. First impression are really good, fits my head really well, properly wentilated compared to my old THE one, now it feels like i can actually breath fresh air. Only complaint is the DD buckle which is a bit tricky to operate with gloves. Feels alot more stout than THE one helmet which it replaced and i have more neck moblility.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I know if I've crashed in it and hit the helmet?
My last crash that destroyed the helmet was one that I didint know I even touched the ground with it. I broke my collar bone on it but my head felt fine. Had no idea my head touched the ground intill 1 week later I noticed a crack the size of grand canyon.
You dont always know feel the hit if the helmet offers good protection.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
yep,I had a retarded crash in the urly season,head hit the side of a bridge then into rocks,felt nothing cause I had a good helmet.

p.s hard minions ftL

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Just talked to a buddy of mine at a major moto brand about the helmets his company sources and it was neat to learn about where most of them come from. The price portion of the equation was a surprise.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Just talked to a buddy of mine at a major moto brand about the helmets his company sources and it was neat to learn about where most of them come from. The price portion of the equation was a surprise.
It would be more neat if you shared that information with us.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
If someone is interested to wear the same helmet as Minnaar, Mulally and MacDonald does, the Kabuto IXA will be labeled and distributed by Nema. Pretty nice lid imo: