Quantcast

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
So I am FINALLY going to get a new helmet, since i havent gotten 1 since 2005, i have a pretty large helmet budget-long overdue. Everybody and their mother loved the D2, so why not get the D3? seems logical. They say on their website that they hold it to moto standards, so it should be good. I will be using it with a leatt brace, so if it wont work with that, its out of the question. If you happen to know of or prefer another helmet, lemme know. I prefer nothing too flashy, but if it is, there is always spray paint.

P.T.W should be very happy today :thumb:

It will be replacing this

dont mind the ghey modeling shot :rofl:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Do you have to post a thread for everything? Can't you just go ask mommy for her credit card without consulting the internet?
I could, but what fun would that be?

Anybody actually have anything to say about this helmet, or will this just become another hate demo 9 thread so we can try to get green square thread?

Not much on the internet, especially with leatt compatibility. I know somebody on here has to have 1, i mean RM is like the TLD fanclub

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
The d3 is a great helmet. I have a Steve peat model, the fit is awesome. Ventilation is very good and it works great with my leatt brace.
I had 2 d2s before this helmet and love the d3more.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
I could, but what fun would that be?

Anybody actually have anything to say about this helmet, or will this just become another hate demo 9 thread so we can try to get green square thread?

Not much on the internet, especially with leatt compatibility. I know somebody on here has to have 1, i mean RM is like the TLD fanclub
im sure it has great protection... but as far as fitment and comfort .. the THE carbon helmet is much more comfortable. better fitment for my head, better liner. this is my opinion of course.

the lining in the D3 is really thin and it just doesnt feel like your head is in a comfy lid. its a lightweight race helmet.

i prefer my THE, then the Giro Remedy CF, then the D3 as far as comfort goes.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
I'll be picking up the new THE helmet, the T2 tomorrow or Wednesday.. I'll take a few pics
I was gonna get the T2 but CRC had the ONE's for sale like 50% off... too good to pass up... after I crash enough times on the lids I have now that will be my next helmet.

Infini IV

Chimp
Jan 1, 2011
The THE is pretty comfy because it feels plush inside. I went with the D3 because it is still very comfy with the thin liner, but the helmet feels smaller when you put it on. I dunno how the THE feels ventilation wise, but the D3 is great.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I'm sure the D3 provides a little better protection but the D2 Carbon is hundreds cheaper and so comfortable and light. That's the way I went, but I don't crash much and have never hit my head hard in 20 years of MTBing*. I think I found it for $160 last spring.

*I just retired my 1993 XC helmet 2 years ago. It still looks good to go.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
you mean V3 right ? ;p... in that case i say yeah get one, they work great with the leatt, and they are really comfortable. been using them since 08.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Why not get a poc? Their stuff is insanely comfortable.
I've heard it's nowhere near as comfortable a D3..

But.... everybody has a different head/preference on helmet.. If you can try on a bunch of helmets first before you make your decision you'll probably be better off. That being said I love my D2 after coming from a Remedy and a Bell before that, i found it to be A LOT more comfortable. I attribute it partly due to my head shape, as the remedy/bell seemed to put pressure on my forehead, whereas the D2 fit like a glove(XXL glove in my case).

OR you could just buy a different helmet for each bike and then decide which you like best ;)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

But.... everybody has a different head/preference on helmet.. If you can try on a bunch of helmets first before you make your decision you'll probably be better off. That being said I love my D2 after coming from a Remedy and a Bell before that, i found it to be A LOT more comfortable. I attribute it partly due to my head shape, as the remedy/bell seemed to put pressure on my forehead, whereas the D2 fit like a glove(XXL glove in my case).

OR you could just buy a different helmet for each bike and then decide which you like best ;)
d3 liner isn't imho comfortable when you crash. I tried it on and it seemed like it would hurt a lot more on crash than in any helmet I've tried not called Deviant. Not to mention POC aren't made to be the lightest on the market. Which is good imho. I already took painkillers after one heavy crash, and that was in a heavy duty snowboard helmet that is much thicker than any dh helmet I know (and it hurts less to crash in it than in a dh helmet - I tried snowboarding in a ff).

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I used a THE lid after 1 crash I replaced it with a trusty TLD SE.

also the THE is very uncomfortable on my head, didnt fit well at all. The TLD SE is very nice, also not THAT heavy. I have no tried on a D3, I will stick to my DOT helmets for now.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Does anyone know how big the XL D3 runs? The D2 did ther SM/MED, L/XL thing, and theres a 'pure' XL in the D3 (which BTW was supposedly designed with Leatt/Brace compatibility in mind)

I run a XXL HJC MX Helmet, and although my head is big, this thing has like 3" of padding all around and I look like a weather balloon!! So disproportionate, but if I get another one this year, it at least has sweet graphics (IMhO).

Any bigger helmets these days? I found a fit for Snow, why not bike!! (Giro!!)

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I dig my TLD SE. Landed on my face after getting bucked on a jump and skidded about 10 feet on the chin guard. Was wearing a Leatt as well.

Walked away from what would have been a nasty wreck, only a few scratches.
So I can vouch for the Leatt + TLD SE combo.

The D3 is sure nice looking. Personally I think its way too expensive, but that's me (I paid $150 for my SE brand new).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Why not get a poc? Their stuff is insanely comfortable.

I would absolutely recommend the POC Cortex DH (MIPS version). It's the most expensive lid out there, but pretty much the safest too.

In regards to the fit, yes, its a little funky. the proportions are a little different than most other helmets (a touch shorter front to back, a few friends have tried mine on and it didn't fit them front to back. was a tiny bit snug at first for me, but has since broken in). Basically, if it fits you right, you'll love it. Demo9, I work not too far from where you live. If you'd like to try mine on sometime (I have the L/XL) shoot me a PM and we can arrange to meet up.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Debating fit is probably a useless exercise. Everybody's head is going to be shaped differently. For the price that one pays for TLD stuff I'd imagine there are some nice little touches included when it comes to fit and finish.

HOWEVER, and I've always said this about TLD and helmets in general, you're not really paying a premium for extra protection. A $500 TLD DOT helmet will probably provide the same protection as a $50 moto helmet you can find online. The premium you're paying is for brand recognition, fancy graphics and some nice little touches. Which, by the way, are all completely worthless if the helmet isn't the right fit for your head.

I think we all know at this point that you can afford whatever helmet you want. If it were me, I'd try on as many helmets as I could and buy the one that fit the best.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Jonkranked, expect a PM.

I see on here that there is some love for the D3, and alot of love for the SE2(now 3?) I feel the general opinion is that the D3 is too pricey, however the SE2 is even more expensive (525) Is there a reason this helmet is more justified? moto? I am sure fit is important with helmets, but is it really about how comfy it is, rather than how well it protects. Id like to say im between TLD and Poc (mostly because of pocs reputation) But i still havent set anythign in stone. The D3 is what im leaning towards, since its supposed to be the new D2, which was god in its time. That said, im certainly listening to recommendations.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm surprised the new Fox V3R Carbon isn't on anybody's list? They've got 3 new poaint jobs and I keep debating on pulling the trigger on a leftover 2010.

What about that one? Cheaper, carbon, just as big and meets all the same test.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
just as big
Thats more of what im worried about, i have a fancy new 661 flight i bought a year ago, that wont work with the leatt brace, Thats why its so important i find out what fits and works BEFORE i get it, used helmets are so hard to sell. Anybody have any experience with the fox/leatt

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Asking for helmet advice online is stupid. Its what fits that matters. Go put one on your stupid misshapen head and see how it fits. You clearly aren't hurting for money so the 30% TLD tax won't hurt. Just hold your breath till mom gets you one.

On a side note, the most comfortable helmet I've ever had was the THE, followed by the Remedy. Everybody fits different. The D3 actually hurts my head.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I would highly recommend a D3. Best protection in a MTB specific helmet I have ever used.

Pros:
-Great ventilation
-Really comfortable
-Actually designed around the Leatt brace (only helmet out there to do so as far as I know)
-WAY more protection than the D2
-Emergency cheek pad removal
-Emergency info on visor (comes with 2nd visor as well)
-Headphone holder in ear area (just in case you ride with headphones)

Cons:
-Price (you get what you pay for in my opinion)

Shoot me a PM or ask if you have any questions. I have been riding on a D3 since November 2009.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Giro doesn't work well with Leatt. Love my D2, and will upgrade to D3 when it's time.
100% agree that the older ones didn't, but david just got a new one and they changed/adjusted/fixed the back of it, and there is alot more clearance for leatts. Better then my 661.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
THE don't have full atsm 1952, therefore I would rule them out.
D3 offers superior protection to the D2.
POC and Urge are ugly.

I can't get over you wearing the ugly, uncomfortable, cheap, old helmet! I replace my helmets yearly and my bikes when I can, you seem to be the total opposite. Foam is 1 hit and glue deteriorates. Replace your helmet as often as you can.

D3s are for winners.