Quantcast

Talk me out of buying a new car....

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
So the assessment has come back on the car-deer altercation, and it's not good. I need two front fenders and a rear passenger side quarterpanel, where the deer ran into me a second time out of stupidity or revenge, either or. I've got $1000 deductible on my insurance because I'm an idiot and never thought I'd actually need to make a claim. Or I can trade my car in and pay off my loan in full and have an extra $500 toward a down payment + whatever I get for a tax refund. Impulsive, shallow Brenda wants to say screw it all and just buy a new car. Practical Brenda knows that that's a stupid idea and I should just live with the dents & cracks. I have a 2001 Volvo S40, with 102K miles on it. It's due for a new timing belt in 3K miles, but it runs perfectly. Gahhhhhhhh.......

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Is the damage strictly aesthetic or is there a functional issue?

Can we see the two Brendas go at it?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Some stupid deer would just bash in the new car and all the chemicals from the new car smell will give you cancer.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
so the choice is car payment vs. no car payment...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think we need pictures of both Brendas in order to decide.

Barring that, though, I did the car payment thing and drove a nice truck for a few years. Much as I miss that truck, I'll be driving my '98 Forester until the wheels fall off it - I love an extra $300/month more than I love a shiny truck.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I'd take the insurance money, not fix the car and go buy a mountain bike, but I'm a redneck that's obsessed with buying a new bike...

It's not about me I know..

That's a lot of miles on a car and they always break really bad right after you get them paid off.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
Nothing depreates faster than a new car (assuming your buying a new-new car). Don't do it, the sooner you don't have car payments the better. If I could go back in time I would have bought a $500 s**t box and have more money for going on trips.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'd take the insurance money, not fix the car and go buy a mountain bike, but I'm a redneck that's obsessed with buying a new bike...

It's not about me I know..

That's a lot of miles on a car and they always break really bad right after you get them paid off.
Yeah, do that! :thumb:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Oh, how I wish I could drive, simply a dented car around...
My car is purple. Dent's dont look so bad right now given the choice. Pull ya head outcha ass and dont worry about what the car looks like. :biggrin:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
What does that not surprise me? Do yo also have a pink phone?
I just buy whatever is cheapest and/or least likely to break in the longrun. The truck happened to be purple, WTF do I care really? My phone cost $50 and its blue. It's a G'z One and is waterproof and shockproof with a bunch of gadgets I dont know how to use.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
This didn't happen on 96B just down the hill from IC did it?
There are eleventy billion retarded deer in Ithaca and the surrounding area. Making any assumptions about where a deer/ car meeting happened in the Ithaca area is not a good way to be right about anything. It can happen anywhere.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Forget the car.
Get a jetpack!

And then fly around in a skin tight white flight suit...

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
This didn't happen on 96B just down the hill from IC did it?
Nope, it happened on rt 79 (Hector St. side) coming down into Ithaca.

Okay, you guys have done well. I don't think I'm quite as antsy to replace it now. I'm being totally vain and I really don't have the extra money to be going out and buying a new (used) car. I would've bought another used car. I am never buying new again. I had The Dent Guy do his best job on it today, and it still looks like $hit, so that's why I was so bummed out about it. Plus I didn't realize that there's another huge crack in the rear quarter-panel where the deer rammed into it the second time until we actually washed the car (it was really muddy) and it showed up. Oh well....... I'll at least think about it a lot more rather than impulsively going out this weekend and getting another car!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I have been having similar impure thoughts about my van, but I hope not to get serious until it's over 200,000 miles.
Funny, I've had the same train of thought for the past year, but I hope to get at least 300k from my 92 Pickup. I got some bad news from my truck last night. At random, I decided to calc my gas mileage. I used to average a touch below 30 mpg, but it just hasn't felt like that recently. Unfortunatley it's dipped to around 23 mpg. No good. Is this a fixable solution or should I just attribute it to old age (15 yo, 240k).

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Oh well....... I'll at least think about it a lot more rather than impulsively going out this weekend and getting another car!
How about this?:

If you buy a new car, I am going to go and buy a baby rabbit from a local farm. I will then write "Mudgirl" on a baseball bat and proceed to bludgeon the poor critter to death and continue on until it resembles a melted strawberry jello mold. I will videotape this and post it on RM via Youtube for all to see, and again directly after each subsequent post you make until you either leave the site or I die.

This will all be your own doing for buying the car.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Wow, that's a very compelling reason not to buy a new car!!! :shocked:

My mother just informed me that she thinks I have up to a year to get my car fixed after I report it to the insurance company, so I guess I'll just save up my money for a couple-three more months and get it all fixed up through a body shop.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
So the assessment has come back on the car-deer altercation, and it's not good. I need two front fenders and a rear passenger side quarterpanel, where the deer ran into me a second time out of stupidity or revenge, either or. I've got $1000 deductible on my insurance because I'm an idiot and never thought I'd actually need to make a claim. Or I can trade my car in and pay off my loan in full and have an extra $500 toward a down payment + whatever I get for a tax refund. Impulsive, shallow Brenda wants to say screw it all and just buy a new car. Practical Brenda knows that that's a stupid idea and I should just live with the dents & cracks. I have a 2001 Volvo S40, with 102K miles on it. It's due for a new timing belt in 3K miles, but it runs perfectly. Gahhhhhhhh.......

there is nothing like enjoying a new car!

go for it!

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
There are eleventy billion retarded deer in Ithaca and the surrounding area. Making any assumptions about where a deer/ car meeting happened in the Ithaca area is not a good way to be right about anything. It can happen anywhere.
I only ask because I had a similarly asshatted deer run headfirst into my drivers side fender just down the hill from IC one night. I was curious if it was the same dumb bastard deer.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
How about this?:

If you buy a new car, I am going to go and buy a baby rabbit from a local farm. I will then write "Mudgirl" on a baseball bat and proceed to bludgeon the poor critter to death and continue on until it resembles a melted strawberry jello mold. I will videotape this and post it on RM via Youtube for all to see, and again directly after each subsequent post you make until you either leave the site or I die.

This will all be your own doing for buying the car.
You might get one of those naked PETA chicks showing up at your door if you perpetrate this mission.

Please videotape her beating as well.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'll just save up my money for a couple-three more months and get it all fixed up through a body shop.
Just don't go to the Goodyear on Rte. 13. The POS Taurus I had in college broke down and I had to take it there because it was the only place open on a Sat. Long story short, it was a bad idea.

And, for the record, my Taurus slowly crapped out until its eventual demise, not because I was drag-racing the big green beast in a parking lot.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Wow, that's a very compelling reason not to buy a new car!!! :shocked:

My mother just informed me that she thinks I have up to a year to get my car fixed after I report it to the insurance company, so I guess I'll just save up my money for a couple-three more months and get it all fixed up through a body shop.
wait a sec - did the ins. company already check the car out? did they tell you an amount? did they say you have a year to fix it?

also...do you plan to continue to pay for collision? if they pay out money now, and you dont fix the car and hit a deer/wreck it again - dont expect them to pay for the new damage

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I only ask because I had a similarly asshatted deer run headfirst into my drivers side fender just down the hill from IC one night. I was curious if it was the same dumb bastard deer.
You know, if those dumbass deer would cross at those deer crossing signs, it'd make life easier wouldn't it?

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
wait a sec - did the ins. company already check the car out? did they tell you an amount? did they say you have a year to fix it?

also...do you plan to continue to pay for collision? if they pay out money now, and you dont fix the car and hit a deer/wreck it again - dont expect them to pay for the new damage
The insurance company didn't check the car out yet. They haven't paid me any money. I just paid $200 out of pocket to have a new driver's side mirror installed, the signal light fixed, & the dent pulled out as best as possible. I wanted to see how that worked before doling out the big$$$ to the insurance co. When I talked to the woman at the insurance co. on the phone, I said I wasn't even sure I really wanted to report it to them b/c I was afraid my rates would go up and I'd probably end up paying out of pocket anyway, but she talked me into it. And yeah, I *have* to continue to pay for collision b/c I still have like 9/10 months left to make payments on it. I just bought it three years ago.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
The insurance company didn't check the car out yet. They haven't paid me any money. I just paid $200 out of pocket to have a new driver's side mirror installed, the signal light fixed, & the dent pulled out as best as possible. I wanted to see how that worked before doling out the big$$$ to the insurance co. When I talked to the woman at the insurance co. on the phone, I said I wasn't even sure I really wanted to report it to them b/c I was afraid my rates would go up and I'd probably end up paying out of pocket anyway, but she talked me into it. And yeah, I *have* to continue to pay for collision b/c I still have like 9/10 months left to make payments on it. I just bought it three years ago.
oh. then you might as well skip putting a claim in (they will not reimburse you for the stuff you fix before they look at it)