Quantcast

talk to me about external hard drives

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm thinking about picking one up for my g/f's computer, as well as mine. but, i know jack squat about this stuff. i just know i want about 60 gigs of space, and USB compatibility.

are different external cases designed for the different SATA, SCSI, and EIDE hard drives? like i really even know what those 4 letter abbreviations mean...

different cases for apparently different sized hard drives (3.5, 5.25)?

Western Digital vs. Maxtor vs. IBM....?

are they fairly easy to put together? i see some are pre-fab'ed, but my guess is that i could put one together cheaper.

are some cases better than others, or is it just aesthetics that determine the price? do i need to worry about heat or anything?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Well just a little FYI after about 1 year and a half my maxtor just blew up on me and maxter basically told i was SOL, luckily i am a backup freak... Look at the lacie products

http://www.lacie.com/products/family.htm?id=10007

Alot of industry guys are using these, and i find them to be of top quaility, that is what will be replacing my maxtor...

o and i would def get a pre fabed one, esp if you dont have much experience they might even be cheaper than buying cases and drives. hope this helps...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Well just a little FYI after about 1 year and a half my maxtor just blew up on me and maxter basically told i was SOL, luckily i am a backup freak...
I have never had good luck with Maxtor drives either. Seagate, however, seems to make good stuff.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've got a 300GB external Maxtor drive which has been fine (very occasionally (it's happened maybe 3 times?) i will get a file error where i have to run the chkdsk utility, whcih has always fixed it. i've had it in operation since Oct or so.

i am curious about the external cases/internal drives, from a redundancy/backup perpsective. ie, use the case to make a backup of a drive, then pop a new drive in for more space).

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
One pretty cool option is to get a case for a 2.5" notebook drive. I was able to get a USB 2 one for $12 including shipping and the cable, and the installation only took about sixty seconds (just 2 screws).

krazykow

Chimp
Apr 3, 2005
I have a 250g maxtor and love it. running it through firewire though. My brother has the 150g lacie for driect capture off our TD-150 camera, and man does it work good

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Ive been thinking of getting one. here is my question

If i get an extrernal hard drive and put all my music on it, can i play the music on my computer when it is plugged in, or is it just for transfering files? :confused:

Dude, don't sweat all those questions. No need to worry about SATA, etc. and opening your case. Just get a USB or Firewire interface device and it's plug and play.

I'm a little biased as I work for Seagate, but these are two quality products worth checking out. It's more storage than you said you were looking for, but can you ever have too much storage? They're pretty cool since they're plug and play.

USB only: http://www.seagate.com/products/retail/external/usb.html

USB/Firewire: http://www.seagate.com/products/retail/external/usb_firewire.html

I also like these little guys. Way cool....we call 'em "Hockey Pucks." http://www.seagate.com/products/retail/pocket/index.html

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
mack said:
Ive been thinking of getting one. here is my question

If i get an extrernal hard drive and put all my music on it, can i play the music on my computer when it is plugged in, or is it just for transfering files? :confused:
It'll work like any other drive, so yes you can play music that's stored on it. I am right now, actually.

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think people are confusing Inbred's original question. he's looking using a regular hard drive inside a separate, store-bought enclosure. not the pre-packaged, all-in-one device.

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
ooops, well... you can still go to maximumpc.com, they have great reviews, and if you need help to find and decide what you are looking for you still can shoot me a Pm.

lol, sorry i got confused

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I bought one of those aftermarket add-your-own HD dealies, it was ****. Lasted about 3 months then started stopping and starting randomly, then not showing up, then showing up and freezing, all kinds of crap.

If you're going to get one, make sure it's a quality unit, that's all I'd say.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I just recently bought an internal 3.5" drive and a seperate USB2 enclosure. Dead simple to plug the drive into the case.

3.5" drives are what's common in desktops. 2.5" are what's in laptops.

2.5" external cases are cheaper, but 3.5" drives are cheaper than 2.5" drives. I'd recommend getting a 3.5" internal drive and put it in a USB2 case.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
ended up with a 200GB Maxtor ($80 locally) and a Venus something-or-other case. was gonna get a NexStar case, but realized it didn't have a fan. the computer is set up right next to the window, and rarely sees sub-80 temps, so i wanted to get the Venus due to the fan.