Quantcast

Talk to me about the Specialized SL2

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
My Giant TCR Advanced was stolen off the top of my car last night so I am unfortunately in the market for a new ride.

I was looking at the 2011 Specialized SL2 with Force group. Might have to ride stock wheels for the time being depending on what I get from insurance.

Anyone have any time on them? Pro's/con's, comparable bikes to the SL2 and TCR Advanced, etc. The usual info.

I have been reading reviews and I did a full Colorado bike shop tour today but would like to hear the opinions here as well. I really want the SL3 Satin Carbon/Neon Blue/White color scheme but can only get that as a frameset or with Shimano components, and that is not going to happen.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Definitely sticking with the plastic. I just did a tour of the bike shops here and figured that the SL2 would be the best price point. Looking at the 2011 Tarmac Comp with the Rival group for now. Probably will try and sell the Rival stuff and upgrade to Force as well as a wheel upgrade. The rest will be upgraded in the next month or so.

I will be sticking with Sram components and do not want to go with Shimano.

Looking to keep it around $3500 and that includes the wheel upgrade and 3T stem and bar, 4000s, and Romin expert saddle again. Plus I need to buy a new Garmin 500 to replace the week old one that just got put on the bike.

I need to get a proper test ride in the next few days as it is cold and raining still here, but a quick fit and visually I like the bike. If you give me a few grand more then I will go with a Parlee.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Definitely sticking with the plastic. I just did a tour of the bike shops here and figured that the SL2 would be the best price point. Looking at the 2011 Tarmac Comp with the Rival group for now. Probably will try and sell the Rival stuff and upgrade to Force as well as a wheel upgrade. The rest will be upgraded in the next month or so.

I will be sticking with Sram components and do not want to go with Shimano.

Looking to keep it around $3500 and that includes the wheel upgrade and 3T stem and bar, 4000s, and Romin expert saddle again. Plus I need to buy a new Garmin 500 to replace the week old one that just got put on the bike.

I need to get a proper test ride in the next few days as it is cold and raining still here, but a quick fit and visually I like the bike. If you give me a few grand more then I will go with a Parlee.
There are always some really nice SL2s on Ebay. Why not buy used?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Force isn't worth it over Rival. Buy Rival with some Red shifters and call it good...

btw, we're about to put up pricing for complete Rival bikes. $2600 with 3T stuff and Ultegra/OpenPro wheels...

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
because you don't know if it was crashed and there is no warranty.
Exactly. Why give up Specialized warranty to save a few bucks on used.

I ended up getting the SL2 brand new and picked it up today. Now if it would only stop raining and warm up here a bit.

Can't wait to see how she rides!