Quantcast

Talk to me Weagle!!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There isn't a big enough market for them, they are made in low quantities and sold at a high price. Roel_koel would have a slightly different opinion being as he was a professional freerider and now imports banshee into the UK... But most people can't justify that bike in their stable. It can't race 4x and its a bit too little for a mini-dh bike and its too short for an xc bike. They are expensive and niche and while everyone would love one, other bikes might be a more sensible choice.
Yes I understand this.

But for people who know exactly what they want and have the proper venues to ride them in, there aren't very many options....that doesn't mean the market doesn't exist. Like I said.......specialized has sold out of their SX frames within about two months every single year over the last 5 or so. Why? Because they're really good bikes and spec doesn't go too far out on a limb and overproduce them.

If a bike in this genre is GOOD, and the company can put a run out that ventures into the profit zone because they didn't overstretch their resources, they will sell, and the company will make money. The segment is growing. It will never be as big as the trail bike or even dh bike segment but it's worth doing because there is in fact a market, and a shockingly pathetic list of quality options out there.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
While not a Pivot this one looks pretty neat, but I'm sure Trek will never sell it to the public. Must be the year of the short travel bike, looks long and low enough to work as a 4x/DS bike too.
There are only three of those things that exist unfortunately. I might get to ride one next week.......but I kind of hope not because I think it's going to be really really good...:(

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
While not a Pivot this one looks pretty neat, but I'm sure Trek will never sell it to the public. Must be the year of the short travel bike, looks long and low enough to work as a 4x/DS bike too.
is it just me or that thing has an UBER short chainstay ?Looks fun neverthelees

Im probably Trek's biggest fan but I gotta say, that Pivot looks nicer to me eye than Brandon's bike ;)

Meat

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010
Lost
is it just me or that thing has an UBER short chainstay ?Looks fun neverthelees

Im probably Trek's biggest fan but I gotta say, that Pivot looks nicer to me eye than Brandon's bike ;)
Rumor has it the chainstays are 400mm/15.75"... not bad for a bike with a real pivot (not at the BB)

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
I'll definitely buy it if it has a 68.875 HA and 16.1376" chainstays. And others will too!

You'll be able to sell tens of them.

Seriously guys.....

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
What's up with this thing?

That bike is pure badass. Makes me sad over selling my Ndiza last year it was such a ripping bike.

4x4 bikes are really capable machines in the hands of somebody who knows how to ride them. The only caveat I could see on this bike is that the seat tube is interrupted so you couldn't stick a 410 Thomson on there to limp your way back up the mountain.

I'd be in to email pivot for that bad boy

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
yup it was Winterberg = awesome place to ride and have fun

my old "Team" Rampant with bike park setup (knobbly tires, proper saddle, etc.)

my old "Raw" Rampant with fun riding setup (fast trak tire, Pivotal saddle, etc.)

I don't either own a Rampant any more (I sold it...had no where to ride it after the "Esher X" bike park project collapsed here in the UK) nor work for the Banshee Importer anymore (lost my job when the Esher project / shop closed down) but I'd recommend the Rampant as a wicked short-travel bike for a skilled rider

unlike the bottom bracket pivot short-travel bikes, the Rampant has a virtual pivot suspension system meaning it pedals very efficienctly with a 1 x 9 geared setup and you also get active braking which means its surprisingly effective on DH runs as long as you can deal with the steeper geometry and lack of travel compared to a DH bike!

it would easily handle 4X racing (it was originally designed for 4X racing in conjunction with the French 4X National champion)

but Banshee's Canadian, America and Australian Pro riders discovered it was actually a perfect "slopestyle" short-travel bike and ditched their longer travel / heavier faux-bar "Wildcards" in favour of the Rampant

definitely a niche bike, we would sell about 10 a year in the UK and I know Specialized only sold a handful of SX frames during the same period