Quantcast

Tall Tales of stupid shit that should have killed you Thread

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
5 years ago I stuck my arm in a moving auger and it grabbed my sleeve and pulled me in up to my neck. Then when it couldn't keep eating me it ripped my clothes off me, choking me out in the process. When I woke up I was still in the auger, didnt have any clothes on, and didn't have any means to turn it off besides yelling for help. Still here still have both arms. Yippie!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
5 years ago I stuck my arm in a moving auger and it grabbed my sleeve and pulled me in up to my neck. Then when it couldn't keep eating me it ripped my clothes off me, choking me out in the process. When I woke up I was still in the auger, didnt have any clothes on, and didn't have any means to turn it off besides yelling for help. Still here still have both arms. Yippie!
doesn't count

do it again now that cell phone vid is way more ubiquitous

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
well to be fair.....you kinda went out there asking for trouble...

That's like going on a 'bike ride' with a unicycle because 'soul' bro.

don't ever telemark 15 miles from an AT binding. That's just asking for it. ;)
This was pre Randonee Bindings getting introduced to North America. you either hefted skis onto your back and post holed or snowshoed into the back country or you used tele skis and skins to go there. around 1981-82.

We did shit like load up the packs with Ice Climbing gear, teleskis, winter mountaineering tents and bags and food and fuel for 7-10 days in the back country. One trip we went up the Snow Creek Falls trail out of Mirror Lake at the base of Half Dome (120 Switchbacks) skied into Toulumne Meadows, Climbed and Skied then came out by way of the Yosemite falls trail. Fucking insane but glorious. On another We Telskied off Mt Shasta down Avalanche gulch 13.000 feet at the Red Banks down to 6500' in one shot

Did I mention that I hate crowds and lift lines with a passion? I'd almost rather listen to a Trump speech that spend time in lines

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Rotating machinery properly skeers me. The shit I used to work with turn at over 10,000 RPM so at least there wasn't time to think about it once things went sideways. I worked with a guy who had a high speed shell mill snag the tendon from his ring finger, ripped it out of his arm then cut his face open with it like a weed wacker. He was an idiot, and very lucky to have only lost the ability to bend a finger.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Jeezus that sounds horrendous. I grew up on a farm and in old warehouses. Everywhere I work there are many foreseen and unforeseen hazards that can swiftly end a good day. We are running 240, 277, and 480 in different buildings.

This wall terrifies me.

77384.jpeg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
This should be a fun read as all of us have a lot of them to relate

This is one of mine circa 1983

Another close call. Weather forecast was for light snow showers in Yosemite. Ranger Chis Knauer and I decided to take our backcountry skis and ski from Crane Flat to Toulumne Meadows on a 3 day ski trip mid winter. For some stupid reason we took a 3+ season tent instead of my heavy 4 season Mountaineering tent. We got about 5 miles in and the storm started to hit so we made camp in a spot clear of any potential deadfall or avalanche cooked dinner and crawled into the tent for the night.

Some hours later I woke up, the air in the tent was bad. I went to sit up,nope. The snowfall had not only buried the tent it had collapsed onto us from the weight. I woke Chris up, we were both groggy from the CO2 build up. It was bad, the only thing I could think to do was roll onto our stomachs and push upwards on hands and knees with our backs to the tent roof to give us some working space. It took 3 tries but we made some room.

I unzipped the tent door and tried to punch an arm up to fresh air. Crap we were buried way to deep for that. Our ski poles were under the fly and they screw together end to end to make an avalanche probe that is 7 feet long. We used that to punch an air hole. Man the first blast of fresh air was simply amazing, total life saver.

We geared up and started digging a tunnel to the surface packing the snow on the side or the rain flys vestibule. Close to 8 feet of snow had fallen. That light snow fall had blossomed into a full on Winter Sierra Blizzard. It took us an hour to clear the tent and it was still dumping. We decided to set our alarms to go off each hour and take turns clearing the tent. believe me that sucked every two hours getting dressed and shoveling for 15 minutes.

The storm let up at 9am with close to 12 feet of squeaky powder having fallen. Telemark skiers delight. We stuck to heavily treed slopes to avoid triggering and avalanche and had a blast with waist deep untracked powder for hours. Then it started to snow again. A quick check of the weather radio indicated that it was time to bug out as another blast was going to hit and last for days.

It was snowing heavily when we reached my truck and it took two hours to dig it out then make it two hundred feet to the plowed road and drive back into Yosemite and check in and the back country permit station. Ranger La Cass was there to greet us. We were high school buddies. She just looked at us shook her head then asked "So how bad was it up there last night ( we were at 9000'). Chris just said "Bad enough that we are back here at 3000 feet tonight".
How did you get up out from under 8 ft of snow? What do you push against and how do you stay up to get the snow away?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Jeezus that sounds horrendous. I grew up on a farm and in old warehouses. Everywhere I work there are many foreseen and unforeseen hazards that can swiftly end a good day. We are running 240, 277, and 480 in different buildings.

This wall terrifies me.

View attachment 153470
Company rules in theory prevent me from touching electrical anymore but I have danced with those pixies before. They play nice when shown due respect.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
How did you get up out from under 8 ft of snow? What do you push against and how do you stay up to get the snow away?
Luckily it wasn't Sierra Cement. it pretty much powder. Not that it wasn't heavy as shit We had about 20" of non crushed tent to work with at the start. First it was get out of the bags, roll onto our stomachs and do a push up side by side. then pull the legs up and do a squat. We just kept slamming our backs into the tent popping it up as high as we could which was just over hip high. Poked an air hole with a probe pole with a ski basket on it then started digging. we filled the vestible with snow then punched our way to the surface. once up we started digging out with our avalanche shovels. We used our watch alarms to wake us each hour to get up and clear the snow

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Luckily it wasn't Sierra Cement. it pretty much powder. Not that it wasn't heavy as shit We had about 20" of non crushed tent to work with at the start. First it was get out of the bags, roll onto our stomachs and do a push up side by side. then pull the legs up and do a squat. We just kept slamming our backs into the tent popping it up as high as we could which was just over hip high. Poked an air hole with a probe pole with a ski basket on it then started digging. we filled the vestible with snow then punched our way to the surface. once up we started digging out with our avalanche shovels. We used our watch alarms to wake us each hour to get up and clear the snow
Gotcha... so the first move is to shovel into the cavity to make your way to the top. Wild stuff. Hope to never be in that situation.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Gotcha... so the first move is to shovel into the cavity to make your way to the top. Wild stuff. Hope to never be in that situation.
yeah it was not fun. Another key is if you have down bags stuff them into their stuff bags after you punch an air hole and before you start digging to keep them dry , and always have a headlamp where you can find it in seconds in a emergency