Quantcast

Tamper/rakes seen used in Redbull Rampage footage?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I've already made a few like them, but they use heat treated steel, I'm sure, so that means theirs weigh less and can be built from thinner materials. I want one. I've heard rumors of them being built by McCloud or something, but that get's me nowhere. Who makes 'em and where can I get some?
For those who haven't seen them, or don't build, they have what looks like a lightweight tamper with a toothed edge on one side. No more carrying around 2 big tools.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Yeah, those things work great for a lot of things you might need to do. My local trail crew has a few of them, and we just got one or two more from the IMBA. I'm not sure were you can get them or how much they cost... maybe REI?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Oh sweet! Yep, that's what I've been looking for! Figured they are commonly used, but when you don't even know what they're called you're kinda screwed. "Tamper Rake" only gets you so far!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
maxyedor said:
hit up the shulaski tool co they're the ones fetured in dirt rag they look like the do bitchin' wook, shulasky@yahoo.co

or buy some plare steel a cutting torch and a mig welder and build your own to fit you exact needs
Yeah, I've made 3 of them now, but with the lack of heat treating I have to build them from thicker metals, i.e. HEAVY.
Working on a fully collapsible, aluminum one right now. Ultra light, will fit in a Dakine pack, and I plan on being able to fill the expandable handle full of sand to add weight for tamping... assuming for some odd reason that there will be sand available whereever I happen to be building jumps or digging trail... Hey, I never said it was FEASIBLE, only POSSIBLE!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
remember that alluminum is very soft and oit the head is made of the stuff you wont be able to get much life out of it. the alluminum handle doesn't save much weight, but the collapsable bit is intriging. but instead of sand why not fill the handle with frosty beer, it gets hot trailworking in the summer!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Aluminum is soft..until it's heattreated. You can treat Aluminum in your oven at home, 8 hours at 350 degrees. Pound for pound, aluminum is stronger, I'm sure you all know that much by now.

And thanks for the advice on "buying a tamper." Never thought of that and I don't already own like 30, custom and store bought. Ever tried dragging a tamper, a rake and a hoe through 6 miles of woodlands? You'd do it once and post what I just did.
And I don't build freakin highways, just kickers, booters and trannies, and none of it is very permanent. If I am in a place that I need a 30 pound tamper, I can use a tractor. ;)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Get a wagon.........Seriously, then you could put your 60lbs of tools in it and it would be easy to move. You could hitch it to a 50.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
THRILLSEEKA said:
Ever tried dragging a tamper, a rake and a hoe through 6 miles of woodlands? You'd do it once and post what I just did.
And I don't build freakin highways, just kickers, booters and trannies, and none of it is very permanent. If I am in a place that I need a 30 pound tamper, I can use a tractor. ;)
Yeah, actually I drag one around just about every weekend in the winter. Mcleods suck for tampers. I tried using them long before I bought a tamper.