Quantcast

Tap New York

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Thank god this hell of a week is almost over and Tap NY is this weekend. Over 100 beers to sample and it's just up the road. It isn't the size of the Great American Beer Fest, but I get to go to this one and escape from the man at least for a bit.

Anyone else going?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
dogwonder said:
Thank god this hell of a week is almost over and Tap NY is this weekend. Over 100 beers to sample and it's just up the road. It isn't the size of the Great American Beer Fest, but I get to go to this one and escape from the man at least for a bit.

Anyone else going?
We have a bar here that serves 300 beers daily... half of them are on tap. All Spaten beers are on tap for instance, and they always have at least 15 seasonal brews there, usually on special ($3). By the way we play there bi weekly and we get free drinks. Last time I found myself sipping on some Kansas City sesonal brew, it was real nice.

They also have damn good Fish and chips.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
golgiaparatus said:
We have a bar here that serves 300 beers daily... half of them are on tap. All Spaten beers are on tap for instance, and they always have at least 15 seasonal brews there, usually on special ($3). By the way we play there bi weekly and we get free drinks. Last time I found myself sipping on some Kansas City sesonal brew, it was real nice.

They also have damn good Fish and chips.
That's a damn nice beer bar...If you can get good German or Belgian beer on tap, you're in good shape. And for $3 :eek:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
dogwonder said:
That's a damn nice beer bar...If you can get good German or Belgian beer on tap, you're in good shape. And for $3 :eek:

$3 is only for the specials. Currently mostly wheat brews and spring seasonals. Not that I am complaining. I think a dark German or Belgian ale not on special will run about $4-5 depending on the beer. However for me... on bi weekly thursday nights... free :)

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
A friend of mine, George Depiro, won best (crap, I forget) ale or hefeweizen a few years back at Hunter. He brews for the Albany Pump Station/Evans Ale and is a pretty darned good road rider.

Maybe I can persuade the Mrs. to take a detour on the way home from Roxbury on Sunday!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
less than 90 minutes for me...

some munchies too

HOT DOGS - 1/4 lb Size
KNOCKWURST/Bratwurst on Hot Dogs Roll
UPTOWN MILWAUKEE DOGS - HOT DOGS, SAUERKRAUT MUSTARD IN PUFF PASTRY
BREWED BRAT CARAWARY SAUERKRAUT
THAI DOG - SPICEY PEANUT BUTTER WITH HOT PEPPER JELLY
CORN DOGS
TAP NEW YORK DOG - COOKED IN BEER, TOPPED WITH CHEESE
TOP DOG - FOOT LONG, CHEESE, ONIONS, CHILI
NY DUTCH DOG - WITH CURRIED APPLES & ONIONS IN PUFF PASTRY
VEGGIE DOG - WITH WASABI MUSTARD DRESSING
KEEP ON TRUCKIN' - THIN DOG, FRENCH FRIES, KETCHUP, ONIONS & CHILI
OUR PAL VAL DOG - MUSTARD, POTATO SALAD & CLOE SLAW ON RYE
MUMMY DOG - WRAPPED IN PIZZA DOUGH
STROMBOLI DOG - HOT DOGS STUFFED IN PUFF PASTRY LOAVES
CHICAGO DOGS - YELLOW MUSTARD, SLICED PICKLE, TOMATO, RELISH, ONION, JALANPENO
BBQ DOG - GLAZED BBQ SAUCE
PHILLY CHEESE DOG
AZTEC BLACK BEAN SALSA DOG
PALISADE PARK FRIED DOG
CONEY ISLAND DOGS
CRUNCHY KRAUT DOG
CHILI DOGS
VARIOUS SAUSAGES
PEPPERS/ ONIONS on Hot Dog Roll
THE ASIAN SAUSAGE WRAP, FLOUR TORTILLA, CHINESE KETCHUP
SAUSAGE ROLLS IN PIZZA DOUGH
VARIOUS PATES AND BREAD/CRACKERS
HUDSON VALLEY APPLE SAUSAGE TURNOVER
VEGGIE STRUDEL
PIEROGIES
ASSORTED PIZZAS
HOT DOG PIZZA
SOUTH WESTERN CHICKEN PARM
NACHOS & SALSA
ASSORTED QUICHE
ALL AMERICAN RED NECK QUICHE (Sloppy Joe)
VEGGIE QUICHE
BLACK BEAN SALSA QUICHE (TOPPED WITH GUACAMOLE AND SOUR CREAM)
SAUSAGE PANCAKE PUFF
REUBEN QUICHE
BRUCHETTA
CHICKEN THIGHS (BBQ, Sweet & Sour)
PORK KABOBS (Grilled)
SCALLOPS WITH BACON
BONELESS BBQ PORK SKEWERS
MINI MEATBALLS
LARGE PRETZELS WTH MUSTARD
MINI POTATO PANCKES/SOUR CREAM DIP
WING ZINGS
POPPERS
HUSH PUPPIES
BREADED SCALLOPS W/THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING
COCONUT BBQ SHRIMP
BUFFALLO CHICKEN
CHINATOWN BBQ CHICKEN BITES
BEER BATTERED VEGGIES
VEGGIE PLATTER (CARROTS, CELERY, BROC, CAULIF, MIXED COLORED PEPPERS)
CHEESE DISPLAY (CUBED CHEESE & WHOLE PIECES)
BURGERS
KNOCKWURST/BRATWURST
CHILI
HOT DOG AND SAUSAGE CASSOULET
VEGGIE CHILI
RADICAL ROASTED VEGETABLE SOUP
CORN CHOWDER
CORN BREAD JALAPENO

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
douglas said:
less than 90 minutes for me...

some munchies too

HOT DOGS - 1/4 lb Size
KNOCKWURST/Bratwurst on Hot Dogs Roll
UPTOWN MILWAUKEE DOGS - HOT DOGS, SAUERKRAUT MUSTARD IN PUFF PASTRY
BREWED BRAT CARAWARY SAUERKRAUT
THAI DOG - SPICEY PEANUT BUTTER WITH HOT PEPPER JELLY
CORN DOGS
TAP NEW YORK DOG - COOKED IN BEER, TOPPED WITH CHEESE
TOP DOG - FOOT LONG, CHEESE, ONIONS, CHILI
NY DUTCH DOG - WITH CURRIED APPLES & ONIONS IN PUFF PASTRY
VEGGIE DOG - WITH WASABI MUSTARD DRESSING
KEEP ON TRUCKIN' - THIN DOG, FRENCH FRIES, KETCHUP, ONIONS & CHILI
OUR PAL VAL DOG - MUSTARD, POTATO SALAD & CLOE SLAW ON RYE
MUMMY DOG - WRAPPED IN PIZZA DOUGH
STROMBOLI DOG - HOT DOGS STUFFED IN PUFF PASTRY LOAVES
CHICAGO DOGS - YELLOW MUSTARD, SLICED PICKLE, TOMATO, RELISH, ONION, JALANPENO
BBQ DOG - GLAZED BBQ SAUCE
PHILLY CHEESE DOG
AZTEC BLACK BEAN SALSA DOG
PALISADE PARK FRIED DOG
CONEY ISLAND DOGS
CRUNCHY KRAUT DOG
CHILI DOGS
VARIOUS SAUSAGES
PEPPERS/ ONIONS on Hot Dog Roll
THE ASIAN SAUSAGE WRAP, FLOUR TORTILLA, CHINESE KETCHUP
SAUSAGE ROLLS IN PIZZA DOUGH
VARIOUS PATES AND BREAD/CRACKERS
HUDSON VALLEY APPLE SAUSAGE TURNOVER
VEGGIE STRUDEL
PIEROGIES
ASSORTED PIZZAS
HOT DOG PIZZA
SOUTH WESTERN CHICKEN PARM
NACHOS & SALSA
ASSORTED QUICHE
ALL AMERICAN RED NECK QUICHE (Sloppy Joe)
VEGGIE QUICHE
BLACK BEAN SALSA QUICHE (TOPPED WITH GUACAMOLE AND SOUR CREAM)
SAUSAGE PANCAKE PUFF
REUBEN QUICHE
BRUCHETTA
CHICKEN THIGHS (BBQ, Sweet & Sour)
PORK KABOBS (Grilled)
SCALLOPS WITH BACON
BONELESS BBQ PORK SKEWERS
MINI MEATBALLS
LARGE PRETZELS WTH MUSTARD
MINI POTATO PANCKES/SOUR CREAM DIP
WING ZINGS
POPPERS
HUSH PUPPIES
BREADED SCALLOPS W/THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING
COCONUT BBQ SHRIMP
BUFFALLO CHICKEN
CHINATOWN BBQ CHICKEN BITES
BEER BATTERED VEGGIES
VEGGIE PLATTER (CARROTS, CELERY, BROC, CAULIF, MIXED COLORED PEPPERS)
CHEESE DISPLAY (CUBED CHEESE & WHOLE PIECES)
BURGERS
KNOCKWURST/BRATWURST
CHILI
HOT DOG AND SAUSAGE CASSOULET
VEGGIE CHILI
RADICAL ROASTED VEGETABLE SOUP
CORN CHOWDER
CORN BREAD JALAPENO

Hot dog pizza? I'm in...

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Jim Mac said:
A friend of mine, George Depiro, won best (crap, I forget) ale or hefeweizen a few years back at Hunter. He brews for the Albany Pump Station/Evans Ale and is a pretty darned good road rider.

Maybe I can persuade the Mrs. to take a detour on the way home from Roxbury on Sunday!
I know a couple of the brewers there and have actually brewed with them a couple of times. It'll be intersting to see who the winners are this year.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Report from Saturday...A day I never would have envisioned.

Well boys and girls, I just got back from TapNY a couple hours ago and I can say it was one hell of an experience. A story that needs to be told.

I got there about 20 minutes before it opened and the crowd was already pretty big. I was volunteering (free admission in exchange for 2 1/2 hours of serving for a brewery) and got to scope the grounds for a little bit before I started. I met the guy who was organizing the volunteers and he told me I was assigned to Black Forest Brew Haus, a brewpub out of Long Island. I find their table, but no brewery. I wait around for a while and chat with the guys at Saranac in the next table. Suddenly, a couple guys from John Harvard Brewing stop by and drop off 4 kegs and a kegerator. The word on the street is Black Forest took a wrong turn and is MIA. The doors open and the brewery still isn't here. People start flooding the floor and here's my table:

Meanwhile, the place is really hopping...

So I do what any other monkey would do with free admission to a beer fest and no place to volunteer, I start drinking. Pork Slap Pale Ale from Butternuts, Mothers Milk from Keegans, Pride of Milford Special Ale from Cooperstown, Blonde Bock from Brooklyn and one of my favorites, the Bengali Tiger IPA from Six Point. Around 1:30, I loop around and I see some activity at the Black Forest table. A couple guys from John Harvard are back and let me know they decided to set up the table anyways and are hooking up the kegs. Well I came to volunteer so I let them know I'll help out.

We don't know what's in the kegs, we don't have a CO2 tank and people are lining up wondering where their be is. After finally gettings things set up, we are running the wheat through the pilsner tap, ESB through the wheat tap and have no idea what to do if somebody actually wants the pilsner.

Me and one guy from John Harvards are pouring the beer when the brewer finally shows up around 2:00. After a couple introductions, the two of us are pouring the beer; the John Harvard guy returns to his table. The brewer (Joe) asks if I want a beer and goes to get us some beers from another brewery. 30 minutes later, he finally returns. In the mean time, I'm running the show by myself and answering questions.

"Where are you guys located?" "We are a brewpub from Farmingdale, on Long Island." Please keep in mind I've never been to Long Island. Oh, and all those tasty beers are inhibiting my thinking, thank god there isn't any heavy machinery around. But things are going smoothly and folks say we are the most polite table here. Wow, me? Polite? That does seem right. Joe shows back up and we are back to a two man crew.

We pour beer again for about 15 minutes when Joe lets me know he's going to grab some chow. In the mean time, patron are really enjoying our beer.

Now I'm past my volunteer deadline, another volunteer should be relieving me. But I'm the only guy at the table right now, not much I can do except keep pouring beer. Alone again. This is the situation until about 4:00 when they start announce the awards. The FX Matt award is given each year to the best brewery in New York.

"The 2006 FX Matt award goes to Black Forest Brew Haus!!!" the MC states over the megaphone. "Joe! Come on up here and get your award!!" So naturally everyone in line looks at me and asks the same question "Are you Joe?" Joe is nowhere to be found. The MC asks for Joe again. The crowd keeps telling me to go on up and accept the award and frankly, I'm a little tempted.

Joe finally shows up and gets his award, a big old trophy cup. This naturally leads to one possible outcome though, everybody wants to taste the beer that one the cup. As the line grows, the line of brewers wanting to congratulate Joe grows as well. So I'm in a familiar spot, pouring the beer. Amidst the growing masses, the kegs disappear. Pretty soon we are down to the last keg and I get to tell folks they have a choice between ESB and ESB.

Sidenote. There is a second award given every year and that is to the best brewery in the Hudson Valley. This years winner, Captain Lawrence Brewing company. The crazy thing is I know their brewer and two weeks ago helped brew a batch of beer down there. They've only been in business 6 months.

Five o'clock finally rolls around, Joe has disappeared again. I unhook the kegs, sell a pint glass, and clean up a bit. I'm just getting ready to leave when Joe shows back up. He thanks me for helping out and I say I just want one photo before I leave.

So I didn't get to sample as many beers as I wanted, but would I have traded the experience I had today for a larger sample? Not a chance.

Cheers!