Quantcast

Tap Out apparel etiquette question

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
While I'm no fan, a guy here at work is. Many Tap Out T-shirts.

That said, he does indeed participate in amateur level MMA of some sort.

So is it socially acceptable for him to sport the apparel, or is he still a douche, "irregardless"?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
MMA fighting is for pvssies. You should challenge him for a little no-holds barred fighting, and watch him back away...

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
If he really does train/compete then I guess he could get a pass, but then you could view the wearing of "fighting apparel" by him as an advertisement of supposed bad-ass-ed-ness which then relegates him back to douchebag.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I don't know what tapout gear is... google time.

EDIT: I'm going to say he's not a douche, we all broadcast lifestyle interests in one form or another. What I googled was no different than Coke-a-Cola bell bottom jeans of the 70's.

Your coworker wants you to know that he's bought into the hype and believes in the product.

Good for him.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Obvious observation:

MMike works somewhere that doesn't have a dress code?
Seriously.

If they allow Tapout apparel, that pretty much discredits MMike's company's super-duper-awesome-rare-perfect-10/10-we-kick-ass-at-everything-we-do evaluation/audit thing not too long ago.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
A stupid T-shirt. Meh.

Spending $1000 on a red leather Ferrari jacket when you drive a Lexus* = Superdouche.

*Actual Phoenix resident who will remain nameless...

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
The company I used to work for there was a guy that wore tapout shirts everyday... I don't think I've ever seen him without one... And he was kind of a prick

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
A stupid T-shirt. Meh.

Spending $1000 on a red leather Ferrari jacket when you drive a Lexus* = Superdouche.

*Actual Phoenix resident who will remain nameless...
thats pretty good, but Ferrari makes way more money on douchenozzles like that than they do on actual car sales.

edit- found it.

the passenger was probably a stripper that flew out of the trunk and they probably found a shovel and rope amongst the wreckage. so maybe the porsche driver saved a life ;)

Tapout gear is the mullet of this generation.

Last edited:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
If he actually trains/competes in any level MMA, then it's cool to wear that sort of stuff on his own time, but not to work. My philosophy is that when you're at work, wear something appropriate for your job, even if there is no dress code.

These tapout/affliction/juijitsui/look-i'm-a-fighter shirts are on the same par as riders vs. non riders wearing riding gear whilst not riding. Both may wear a fox shirt. Only difference is that the rider will know he is bad ass, while the non rider just thinks he is.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I don't think fighting MMA instantly makes you a bad ass. My boss is a perfect example 6'2 130lbs soaking wet fights the occasional MMA fight and thinks he's gods gift because of it. To top it off he's a chain smoker, if you saw the guy you'd think he wouldn't be able to fight his way out of a wet paper bag, but he actually does pretty good, he doesn't train and hasn't lost a fight yet.

That being said I would give him endless amounts of sh!t if he ever wore Tap Out.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I don't think fighting MMA instantly makes you a bad ass. My boss is a perfect example 6'2 130lbs soaking wet fights the occasional MMA fight and thinks he's gods gift because of it. To top it off he's a chain smoker, if you saw the guy you'd think he wouldn't be able to fight his way out of a wet paper bag, but he actually does pretty good, he doesn't train and hasn't lost a fight yet.

That being said I would give him endless amounts of sh!t if he ever wore Tap Out.
Wait......in that case it did make him a badass........

:think:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Same thing with the great Harley Davidson t-shirt company.
Until folks start sporting Ferrari and Tapout tattoos across their heads, H-D wins as the all-time greatest douchebag lifestyle brand ever created:

Imagine how much it must suck to have the self-realization that your PRIMARY source of self-image and ethos isn't your family, religion, or culture but in fact manufactured by a bunch of suit-wearing marketers in a Milwaukee conference room.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
this guy is a decently big-ish guy. Under 6 feet, but a good 190-200. Part time firefighter. He could certainly hang a holy beating on me....but that is not a very exclusive club.

As we passed each other in the hall a little while back he pretended to do some fancy fight move/karate chop combo on me. I was impressed with how quick he was. Only little pee came out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
this guy is a decently big-ish guy. Under 6 feet, but a good 190-200. Part time firefighter. He could certainly hang a holy beating on me....but that is not a very exclusive club.

As we passed each other in the hall a little while back he pretended to do some fancy fight move/karate chop combo on me. I was impressed with how quick he was. Only little pee came out.
I bet it is all a bluff. You should challenge him to a fight, if he declines just slap him in the face and call his wife a whore.

golivar

Chimp
Sep 4, 2009
east coast
i've always wondered about this: isn't tapping out what a fighter does when he's quitting a fight and acknowledging defeat? if so, it seems like the word "tapout" would have a negative connotation, so why would you want it to be the name of your clothing company?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
i've always wondered about this: isn't tapping out what a fighter does when he's quitting a fight and acknowledging defeat? if so, it seems like the word "tapout" would have a negative connotation, so why would you want it to be the name of your clothing company?
Have you not seen pictures of the guys that front this company? They are like 80's WWF rejects. I doubt a whole lot of super serious thought was put behind the name of the company.

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
It's obviously supposed to mean that your opponent will tap out just from looking at the shirt. "I can't take that amount of douchebaggery in one sighting, I tapout"

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
You should create a new label called "TapIn"