Quantcast

Tapered Headset problem

Aug 3, 2010
I have a 2011 fox 36 float and its a tapered 1.5 the bike it is going with is a Transition BottleRocket which has a 1.5 head tube i want to put a chris king headset on my BR but i am not sure on which one to get there is the chris king 1.5 inset headset which is a for a tapered headset but it 1 1/8 at the top so would it fit the BRs 1.5 head tube? the other one i think would work is the chris king devolution but its 1 1/8 at the bottom part would that not work either? this is my first bike i have built up so i am not really sure?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Cane Creek does one as well. Tapered headsets are something of a pain to track down for whatever reason. Personally, I run the CC, and would not bother with a CK at all. They do not always play nicely with longer travel forks. On an XC rig, fine, but under the stress and strain of a FR bike, not so much.

Rockhucker

Chimp
May 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
You just need to purchase the Chris King Devolution 1.5 to 1 1/8 headset and buy a 1.5 crown race for it for an extra 12 bucks. The top race/cap on the king headset will accommodate either a 1.5 or 1 1/8 with what is supplied.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Cane Creek does one as well. Tapered headsets are something of a pain to track down for whatever reason. Personally, I run the CC, and would not bother with a CK at all. They do not always play nicely with longer travel forks. On an XC rig, fine, but under the stress and strain of a FR bike, not so much.
Maybe in 1-1/8" (though I've had no issue with the one on my DH bike).
The 1.5 should be perfect for that.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Maybe in 1-1/8" (though I've had no issue with the one on my DH bike).
The 1.5 should be perfect for that.
I've had the devolution on my (Evil) Imperial and had lots of issues with it coming loose. On the other hand my 1-1/8 King headset on my Coiler has been fine for many years.
CK headsets seem more prone to loosening if your frame isn't faced PERFECTLY.

It also likely has to do with CK's solid compression ring vs Cane Creek's slotted ones. CK now offers the slotted ones for an extra 40-something $ too so that MIGHT help but I'd go with Cane Creek from personal experience. :weee:

BUT, to answer your original question, the CK devolution headset is a pair of 1.5 headset cups, a pair of 1.5 bearings, a reducer crown race (so you'd just need a 1.5 crown race in your case like said above) and a reducer compression ring and a reducer top cap.

Last edited:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I've had the devolution on my (Evil) Imperial and had lots of issues with it coming loose. On the other hand my 1-1/8 King headset on my Coiler has been fine for many years.
CK headsets seem more prone to loosening if your frame isn't faced PERFECTLY.

It also likely has to do with CK's solid compression ring vs Cane Creek's slotted ones. CK now offers the slotted ones for an extra 40-something $ too so that MIGHT help but I'd go with Cane Creek from personal experience. :weee:

BUT, to answer your original question, the CK devolution headset is a pair of 1.5 headset cups, a pair of 1.5 bearings, a reducer crown race (so you'd just need a 1.5 crown race in your case like said above) and a reducer compression ring and a reducer top cap.
There is truth to this. The bearings are not designed to accept a lot of misalignment. You should face any head tube getting a high end sealed headset.