Quantcast

Tara Llanes taking her first steps

Poindexter

Chimp
Dec 25, 2007
The old saying "you put your mind to it you can do anything" This girl I believe never once thought she was never going to walk again.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
I have no doubt that we will see her riding again, and probably much sooner than you would imagine.

Dec 11, 2007
wow thats actually amazing... and defiently insperational! she is so determined to do this and has put so much effort into doing so. great work!

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
that's so awesome...but i don't really get this....like christopher reeve was able to "run" with a bunch of equipment on. like will she be able to recover totally or are those steps the farthest she should be able to get. i really want to see her on a bike again, but is that something that can be reached?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
that's so awesome...but i don't really get this....like christopher reeve was able to "run" with a bunch of equipment on. like will she be able to recover totally or are those steps the farthest she should be able to get. i really want to see her on a bike again, but is that something that can be reached?
The fact that she retained movement below her injury is the important part. It means her spine is not totally severed. It means there is hope for recovery. She can move her legs, under her own power. That is monumental.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The fact that she retained movement below her injury is the important part. It means her spine is not totally severed. It means there is hope for recovery. She can move her legs, under her own power. That is monumental.
what he said.

not only that she's moving her legs, but so soon.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
so if it's not completely severed, it'll be able to repair fully? is that the thought behind it, or will it just be kinda limited mobility?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
now wtf does that mean?
The name Kevin Everett comes to my mind......but I imagine he just meant to say that she's a tough cookie and there aren't a lot of people that have this kind of injury and the mental toughness to gut it out and keep pushing and pushing....he had it poorly worded, but I get his drift.

Go Tara!!

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
so if it's not completely severed, it'll be able to repair fully? is that the thought behind it, or will it just be kinda limited mobility?
docs can't know for sure. a member of my family had a C2 injury, paralyzed from neck down. most of the improvement will happen in the first year or so. just because you get movement in a particular limb doesn't mean full strength will ever come back to that muscle.

docs who are experienced with this kind of thing are very cautious about any predictions until at least a year/18 mos. has gone by. so who knows.

hoping the best for Tara. but speaking from personal experience, there's no way of knowing how much better she'll get from here.

go thru this w/ a family member like i did and your first thought is 'damn i hope they live'. then it's more like 'okay, basic functions are stable, so damn i hope he eventually can ride a bike again'. then it becomes more like 'damn i hope he can walk again'. then it becomes more like 'damn, hope he can walk again using a walker'.

however strange and good things can happen. one case our doctor had involved someone who showed very little improvement the first year, then suddenly got much better and soon was walking pretty well.