Quantcast

Targets...

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
What do you guys shoot at for fun?

After shooting skeet, trap, and sporting clays like 3x a week for the past few months, I've also gotten into pistol and rifle shooting.

Paper targets are okay, but I hate having to run downrange every few minutes to see what we hit and mark off or patch bullet holes.

Lately we've been shooting at steel targets so the ping tells us if we got a hit. We set up a long board with scraps of 1/4" steel plating hanging from paracord. That worked pretty well until we destroyed them with AR-15's.

Right now we have a shotgun range, a 100-200yd rifle range, a 25yd pistol range, and an action range. I get back from my NZ trip just in time for summer break and we're looking to build something really cool when I get back. We have 70 acres of woods and a 1 acre pond in the middle. Any ideas?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
What do you guys shoot at for fun?

After shooting skeet, trap, and sporting clays like 3x a week for the past few months, I've also gotten into pistol and rifle shooting.

Paper targets are okay, but I hate having to run downrange every few minutes to see what we hit and mark off or patch bullet holes.

Lately we've been shooting at steel targets so the ping tells us if we got a hit. We set up a long board with scraps of 1/4" steel plating hanging from paracord. That worked pretty well until we destroyed them with AR-15's.

Right now we have a shotgun range, a 100-200yd rifle range, a 25yd pistol range, and an action range. I get back from my NZ trip just in time for summer break and we're looking to build something really cool when I get back. We have 70 acres of woods and a 1 acre pond in the middle. Any ideas?
just watch his vids and you'll get some good ideas

http://www.youtube.com/user/FPSRussia?ob=0&feature=results_main

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Haha I'm already subscribed to him. I can't afford to shoot at like half of the targets he uses though.

I've been looking at top shot for some ideas but nothing really stands out yet.

We do have access to a full professional wood & metal working shop. ...Now that I think about it, my friend's dad (the guy who owns the shop and the land) was a set designer for Star Trek. I'm sure he could help us out!

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
We used to cut out manhole cover sized 1" with a torch. Took forever, but we'd punch a hole through the top and then hang them from frames out of 4x4's. Was a lot of fun to try to tune them to make other sounds. Then just slap a coat of cheap spray paint over them, and fire away.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

These hit-reactive targets challenge the shooter to seek out the target and adjust for every shot. Originally designed for law-enforcement, military and fast-action pistol training, they hop and roll after every hit. The self-sealing material heals itself after each hit, enabling these targets to sustain more than 1,000 hits from any caliber, from .17 rimfire to .50 cal.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Shooting-Accessories/Targets-Chronographs|/pc/104792580/c/104769180/sc/104625180/Do-All-Impact-Seal-Ground-Bouncing-Targets/1217809.uts?destination=/catalog/browse.cmd?N=1100227&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd1217809

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
I like shooting at metal. JBP will 1/2" steel stand up to rifle fire? Because the 5.56 from the AR's punched right through 1/4" and 3/8", and that was the biggest rifle round we shot at it. The manhole cover sounds like a good idea.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I like shooting at metal. JBP will 1/2" steel stand up to rifle fire? Because the 5.56 from the AR's punched right through 1/4" and 3/8", and that was the biggest rifle round we shot at it. The manhole cover sounds like a good idea.
With ball ammo, 556Nato should barely blow through 1/2" mild steel within 100 yards. It's also dependent on how rigid the plate is mounted.

It might be a fun experiment, to case harden the 1/4" steel plates and see how they perform next to the 1/2" steel with ball and steel core rounds.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz