Quantcast

Tasers! Lying Cops! Cyclists!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Getting shot by the po-po for ignoring his commands.
the cop in that situation did make a poor judgment call, but the football player he pulled over didnt obey his "commands" that he was yelling to him. im sure the cop got all worked up when he saw someone not pulling over for a few blocks then get outa the car w/ people running all over the place.

bad judgment call on the 5-0, but he was trying to do his job............right?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
but the cop didn't ask them to pull over. He told them to "get off the ****ing road."
I see nowhere in the story that the officer asked the riders to pull over. I see nowhere that the officer asked the riders to lie down on the pavement. I see nowhere where he gave them anything approaching clear directions to which they could hope to comply.
what? really? i just quoted that part of the story above. he did yell at them as he passed then pulled ahead and TOLD them to PULL OVER. the problems started after that

again for posterity:
he told Tony to pull over, and that Tony replied "I have got as much right to the road as anyone else," and continued riding towards town. The Deputy reported that he then got back in his cruiser, hit the lights and sirens, and continued to follow the two cyclists, giving commands over his public address system, and "at times out the window."
again, the cop was completely out of line, unprofessional, and guilty of general douchebaggery, however, not stopping when directed by a LEO is what opened the door to the more serious issues.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You take the cop's side.

Everyone else believes the bike riders. :D

Serious question though. Even with the discrepencies, you DO believe the cop's report?
I realized this though: when I was pulled over on my bike, there was no smack talk or fooling around from the cruiser. He turned his lights on, might have told me to pull over via the PA, and I stopped riding.

If he started cajoling me, yelling ridiculous things, I might be inclined not to take him seriously and continue riding.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
You take the cop's side.

Everyone else believes the bike riders. :D

Serious question though. Even with the discrepencies, you DO believe the cop's report?
i find it more feasible that the officer made a reasonable attempt to make it known to the cyclist that he wanted them to stop. i'm not on his side, i just find it unfathomable that the roadies were unaware that the officer wanted them to stop.
i have used my PA on occassion to relay a quick verbal warning like, "you're riding on the wrong side of the road" to an ignorant cyclist and, on more than one occasion the object of my attention pulled over thinking i wanted to stop and talk with them even though i made no such directive.
a cop pulling out in front of you, especially when he looks really pissed after yelling at you (again, i'm not condoning his action, just stating his obvious intentions), seems like a pretty acute action that any reasonable person would perceive as, "i think he wants me to stop"

i don't believe that either party is telling the whole truth in this matter.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah, like you, I do think the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. (maybe the guys didn't hear him clearly or something)

But in a general sense, I also feel that the cop is obviously full of shlt on some points, so it's tough to say. Even if you fully believe his story, he's at the minimum, an asshole and should be reprimanded.