Quantcast

Tasted the Kool-Aid

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
this topic is still on my mind. life has been busy, so a new bike hasn't been top priority (going to whistler this week is).

my current question - how agressive are y'all riding the 29ers? i know the trend looks like most are more XC oriented. the simon bar seems to be designed for more aggro riding on the rougher trails, but certainly not as a freeride beast. are people doing any small jumps/drops on their rigs? how do the frames/forks/wheels hold up to this kind of use?
If you are not riding "aggro" with your Simon Bar - you are doing that bike and yourself a disservice.......just think of it as a Big Wheeled Ridge and ride like such! :biggrin:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
well, i don't have a simon yet. any suggestions on wheels/forks/tires that would hold up to more abusive riding? i noticed most 29 tires seem to be XC-ish with thinner sidewalls. do they make thicker tubes for rougher riding? i'm still thinking rigid. the 2009 kona unit looks like the business, so i may go that route.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
nevegals and rampages are pretty thick tires. If your talking about riding aggressive I suggest getting a wheel set built around a pair of stans flow rims- burly and wide.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I wouldn't recommend the Unit if you are going to go aggro and rigid. Previous model years have had a tendency to develop cracks - so the track record ain't great there.

But you definitely can build/buy strong and tough 29er wheels that is for sure. And some tires to consider would be Rampages, Continental Mountain King 2.4s, and perhaps some of the beefier offerings from WTB.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
good to know about the "crack" issue, i had not heard that before. i don't know if "aggro" is what i'm gonna do with the bike on a frequent basis, just trying to get a sense of where in the XC/Trail/All-Mountain/Enduro/Freeride spectrum the current population of 29ers fall.

Other than the Simon Bar, what are some of the "tougher" frames out there?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Look at the Soul Cycles Dillinger frame - I think that could stand up to some hard riding - also see the sticky review right here on the Monkey. It is a very solid and versatile frame at a very very good price point.

Another one to consider would be the Origin-8 Scout frameset - steel, with good aggressive angles.

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you get a 29er you better let me test it! I've been wanting to demo a 29 forever but haven't really gotten the chance to do serious trail riding on one.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Just thought I'd add that I'm having the same thoughts as you right now.

My medium SX Trail is a bit small for me, and I haven't really been riding too much DH lately, so I sort of want to simplify with a 29er SS and call it a day. I'll keep you posted should I go that route.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
gotta say, i love having a single speed hardtail right now. it is an old frame i convertedi just found a 29er bandersnatch that i may consider. it is geared, but i could put the same tensioner on it and pull a single speed. i gotta get up your way and ride soon.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well a little update, I sold my SX Trail so now it's really time to find something. There's a pretty nice Rig in the classifieds at MTBR I'm looking at...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I couldn't do it. I went with a 26 Inbred Summer Session and swapped parts from my old 26. I just couldn't justify the new wheels tires and fork cost. I still think of the 29 though.