Quantcast

tattoo question

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
so how do i know i'm ready to go in and get the work done?

before you start spitting out the "if you have to ask...." responses, 'cause that's already gone through my mind. i've had the basic design in my head for 2 or 3yrs (the flower is new...originally it was the fist), and i'm not worried about that; i'm set with the design. i even have an artist picked out. i'm just worried about the location; my forearm. i want it some place i can see it, as opposed to somewhere on my back or upper arm, etc.

what bothers me is whether or not a tattoo on my forearm might get me held back from something later on. i figure if anything is that important that i need to be worried, i should be wearing a long-sleeve shirt. but...that whole thread about people getting **** put into them, under their skin, really got the questions rolling in my head. and that sucks. i realize this tattoo isn't as socially ****in' weird as silicone knuckles on the chest, or a star on my hand, but, i don't know.

are my concerns valid, or am i making this out into more than what it is?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I say get it somewhere not visible to everyone else, just to save yourself the assbeatings you'll get for having a "flower" tattooed on yourself.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
BurlyShirley said:
I say get it somewhere not visible to everyone else, just to save yourself the assbeatings you'll get for having a "flower" tattooed on yourself.
Ditto I've worked in a multitude of places that wouldn't allow that sort of thing, it sucks, but I'm a greedy capitalist pig so I removed all my piercings and passed on my planned tats to keep the job.:oink:

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
For some reason your entire post confused me. Not sure why.

If you're not sure, you're not sure and you're not ready.

Can you get the artist to draw it on you in marker? There should be no reason that he/she wouldn't do it for free and you'll have the chance to see what its like to have it in that spot.

I have two on the lower part of my shins/achilles. I wear shorts to various activities that involve clients, bosses, etc..usually golf. I was once asked to leave a golf course because of them, but the client I was with whipped out: "Sonny, I could own this course, you, your boss, your daddy, your kids, your grandkids, and your dog. Please FK off and let us golf" Hilarious. It was a pretty damn uppity place, though - I was actually suprised that shorts were allowed.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
sorry, let me summarize:

- i have decided on design and am happy with it.
- i have looked at about 5 or 6 local artists' work, have asked other people who did their work and asked their opinion about the artists, and have been talking to the artist i have decided on.
- i have decided on location, but am concerned about the possible repercussions of the location.

should i hold off or go on with it? will i ever get over that last issue?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
tats are a youthful indiscretion, imo. at one point i was fairly serious about getting one, and personally i am glad i didn't.

Me too, I almost got one about 20 years ago but settled for 2 earrings. I'm glad I chickened out. I know they're definitely accepted more now than back then, however as everything it will become an old trend. Plus they will start to look like sh*t as you get older and become this big old messy glob.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
the Inbred said:
- i have decided on location, but am concerned about the possible repercussions of the location.

No worries - I's just wee-todd-id.

Personally, I don't like forearm tattoos on their own. If its a big piece that comes down from the upper arm or a full sleeve, its fine.

Maybe explore other locations? Inner bicep? It's pretty hard to predict whether a company (I'm assuming that you're mostly concerned with employment) would allow visible body art or not.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Don't limit yourself from future social situations based on a poor choice made during youth.

I still have no tattoos myself because I learned early on that position is EVERYTHING (my brother is considered one of the greatest freehand artists in the biz).

If it can be hidden with a t-shirt, your free to get whatever you want and show it to whoever you care to see it. Otherwise, your asking for trouble (see Stinky's thread on stupidity).

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
the Inbred said:
so how do i know i'm ready to go in and get the work done?

before you start spitting out the "if you have to ask...." responses, 'cause that's already gone through my mind. i've had the basic design in my head for 2 or 3yrs (the flower is new...originally it was the fist), and i'm not worried about that; i'm set with the design. i even have an artist picked out. i'm just worried about the location; my forearm. i want it some place i can see it, as opposed to somewhere on my back or upper arm, etc.

what bothers me is whether or not a tattoo on my forearm might get me held back from something later on. i figure if anything is that important that i need to be worried, i should be wearing a long-sleeve shirt. but...that whole thread about people getting **** put into them, under their skin, really got the questions rolling in my head. and that sucks. i realize this tattoo isn't as socially ****in' weird as silicone knuckles on the chest, or a star on my hand, but, i don't know.

are my concerns valid, or am i making this out into more than what it is?
not to get too deep on the phylosophy of tattoo placement, but I will tell you this, the common approach for most western cultures when getting tattoos is to get a series of small tattoos. When you see someone with a series of small tattoos they start to look hodge-podge... folks in other cultures take a more planned out approach, and look at the whole body as a canvas! they start to plan where and how things should be laid out for the best overall composition and have a cohesive nature to the tattoos... poor planning leads to a hodge-podge look... I myself am a victim of poor planning and I regret some of the placements I have chosen...

as was said before I worked as a tattoo artist and have seen some stupid decisions made when placing tattoos! I would recommend that you place it somewhere other than your forearm... you will at some point regret that placement choice... plan out your canvas not just the tattoo!!!

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
the Inbred said:
sorry, let me summarize:

- i have decided on design and am happy with it.
- i have looked at about 5 or 6 local artists' work, have asked other people who did their work and asked their opinion about the artists, and have been talking to the artist i have decided on.

Well, if you've already decided on the location...then this thread is pointless. But yes, getting a tattoo on your forarm may limit you as far as jobs go. It all depends on the company, but it would suck to want a job and not get it because of a tattoo on your forarm, as amazing as the tattoo may be. I will have many more tattoos than I do now oneday, but still don't want it to keep me from any professional endeavor. So if you are deadset on the forearm, then understand certain companies have issues with this. You will have to be prepared for the consequences of that placement.

Oh, and in case I can sway you on tattoo artists...Mandy Flynn in Austin is absolutely amazing!!! I've know her for many, many years. She's been around a long time with many awards and she will totally tell you if she doesn't think you should get something tattooed somewhere. But if you've found someone else, then best of luck. :)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Calves are a good place. If you get a job that allows you to wear shorts its unlikely that they'll care about a tattoo. If you wear pants to work no one will ever know.

If you are deadset on the forearm. I would say that the inside of the forearm would be the least obstusive spot on the forearm.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
If you get one, and I have one, I would recommend you get it in a location that can be covered up by a long-sleeved shirt or a pair of pants. Just remember if you get it on your forearm to wear the long-sleeved shirt to the job interviews. Also you'll be forever putting sunblock on it or repeated exposure to tanning/sunlight will ruin it. At least thats what the young lady who did mine informed me of...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Mandy Flynn? i've not ran into her yet. do you know what shop she works out of?

maxyedor - no chest. upper ar might work. i'll have to think about how i want it laid out and see if anything pleases me.

can tattoos be covered with make up? the thing is, i can't think of some place i'd want to work that would discriminate against tattoos. granted, the only place i have wanted to work for the past 6yrs has been a bike shop. i'll have to ask Mandi what her firm would think (i was surprised that men could wear short-sleeve shirts there). i don't think bike shops would say anything, and i'd like to stay within the bike world. i asked the manager at the shop i just got a job at if i there would be any problems there, and whether i should wait. he said mechanics were the more ecclectic of the bunch. i wouldn't go much farther than a tattoo for eccentricity.

DRB - it'd be going on the inside. say if i were standing with my hands at my sides, i don't think much, if any, of it would be visible.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
the Inbred said:

maxyedor - no chest. upper ar might work. i'll have to think about how i want it laid out and see if anything pleases me.

can tattoos be covered with make up? the thing is, i can't think of some place i'd want to work that would discriminate against tattoos. granted, the only place i have wanted to work for the past 6yrs has been a bike shop. i'll have to ask Mandi what her firm would think (i was surprised that men could wear short-sleeve shirts there). i don't think bike shops would say anything, and i'd like to stay within the bike world. i asked the manager at the shop i just got a job at if i there would be any problems there, and whether i should wait. he said mechanics were the more ecclectic of the bunch. i wouldn't go much farther than a tattoo for eccentricity.

DRB - it'd be going on the inside. say if i were standing with my hands at my sides, i don't think much, if any, of it would be visible.
Ten years ago I had no clue that I would have ended up working where I do now. I bet I'll be wrong if I guess where I will be in 10 more years. You have a good 40-50 more years of work in you. It would really suck to limit your future because of something as silly and vain as a tattoo.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
the Inbred said:

can tattoos be covered with make up? the thing is, i can't think of some place i'd want to work that would discriminate against tattoos. granted, the only place i have wanted to work for the past 6yrs has been a bike shop. i'll have to ask Mandi what her firm would think (i was surprised that men could wear short-sleeve shirts there). i don't think bike shops would say anything, and I'd like to stay within the bike world. i asked the manager at the shop i just got a job at if i there would be any problems there, and whether i should wait. he said mechanics were the more ecclectic of the bunch. i wouldn't go much farther than a tattoo for eccentricity.

Chance of staying in the bike world is probably very slim, unless you plan to own a shop. However if you want to go into the corporate world, I would strongly urge against it, at least a visible one.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Brian HCM#1 said:
Chance of staying in the bike world is probably very slim, unless you plan to own a shop. However if you want to go into the corporate world, I would strongly urge against it, at least a visible one.
:stupid:

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
I have a couple of tats and work in the corporate world. Definitely make sure that they are somewhere where you can cover it. One of mine is on my shoulder and comes down my bi and tri pretty low. It is still covered with a polo shirt, but I am still really self-conscious about it in the office whenever I am wearing a short-sleeved shirt.

Just some food for thought.

J

JRB

I know a lady that has one on her leg. She covers it with a large band aid in many situations. It's funny, because she treats it like it's a billboard saying she takes it in the butt or something. I don't think it makes her a hoe, but she certainly acts like other people do.

Don't be a hoe, Dustin.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I've been wanting one for a while now.

Just need to do it. I know many people here have a mtb guy climbing a mt tattoo, but mine will be a little different, so not worried about it not being unique enough.

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
How about a big ol' L on your forehead, only make it backwards so you can read it when you admire yourself in the mirror.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
LordOpie said:

Just need to do it. I know many people here have a mtb guy climbing a mt tattoo, but mine will be a little different, so not worried about it not being unique enough.
what do you mean? like a Mtb guy goin down a mt.???;)

J

JRB

Fshflys said:
How about a big ol' L on your forehead, only make it backwards so you can read it when you admire yourself in the mirror.
Great 53rd post.

J

JRB

LordOpie said:

Yeah - I presume you plan to use a roadie guy climbing a mountain. We know you don't mountain bike. :think:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
So you have the design all set... the one you changed 2 years ago? Just think about that for a minute.

I think 'everyday people' are more relaxed about tattoos nowadays, but that does NOT translate to the corporate world. You'd be surprised at how 'old school' many places are.

Unless you're going to be in a start-up (and even then you'll have to pick the right industry) - you'll be judged for that tattoo before an employer or client ever reviews your work...

I'm not saying don't get it - I've got mine... just 90% of the people I know have never seen it, and most probably don't even know I have one.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Slugman said:
So you have the design all set... the one you changed 2 years ago? Just think about that for a minute.
i have. it was going to be a chain bracelet. but the more i drew it out, the more i realized that it would be impossible for me to get it to look exactly like i wanted it to. if it's not exactly as i want it, i wouldn't get it. this time around, it is exactly as i want it.
Slugman said:
Unless you're going to be in a start-up (and even then you'll have to pick the right industry) - you'll be judged for that tattoo before an employer or client ever reviews your work...
that's another thing. do you (general you, not you Slugman) really wear a short-sleeve shirt to an interview, or to any official meeting? i have always considered an interview with a more corporate type type job to be business attire. maybe business casual.

nato

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Chicago
loco said:
Great 53rd post.
haha beat me to it.

I'm planning on getting a tattoo as well on my side, against the rib area.. kinda located under the pit. I'd look to see if there are any other spots that seem enticing to you without giving you a sense of regret if you were to get it in that location. Maybe think of a unique location such as the inside of the bicep. I hope that whatever you decide, its something that you wont regret.

Nate

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
that's another thing. do you (general you, not you Slugman) really wear a short-sleeve shirt to an interview, or to any official meeting? i have always considered an interview with a more corporate type type job to be business attire. maybe business casual.
I rarerly wear short sleeved Polo's to the office when I can go in Business Casual. I find that I have a bad habbit of rubbing over my tatty lines on my arm which does show off the tattoo. This forces me to wear long sleeve shirts all year long.

I have discovered that some people take tattoo's really well, others don't. Most people I have met that don't like tattoo's at all work in the corperate world. I wouldn't risk having a tattoo out on my arm for them to see. Your career is too important to have some person who doesn't understand self-expression ruin your career.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've had facial piercing for as long as I've had a full time job. (over 10 years)
I take them out for interviews and the first few days of work. As soon as people get a positive first impression of me, I put them back in.
My boss jokingly gives me a hard time about it, but it doesn't hold me back at all.
If you can cover up a tattoo with a long shirt, I would go for it.
There is a reason they call them "full sleeves".

The last place I worked, the shop forman had full sleeves, knuckles, and neck tattoos. If he can make supervisor, I'm not worried.