Quantcast

Tattoo School

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Has anyone seen this on TLC? Who in their right mind would let a student tattoo them (besides Mooshoo)? It's like a train wreck. I just happened to catch it while channel surfing. Granted, I don't have any tats, nor do I want any, but I couldn't imagine paying for any besides the best if I was going to.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Has anyone seen this on TLC? Who in their right mind would let a student tattoo them (besides Mooshoo)? It's like a train wreck. I just happened to catch it while channel surfing. Granted, I don't have any tats, nor do I want any, but I couldn't imagine paying for any besides the best if I was going to.
People think I'm crazy because I don't have any when they find out who my brother is (He has a shop in Santa Cruz). I wouldn't trust anyone but him or my niece and I would trust my niece more now that my brother is getting blind.

I could see getting a free hair cut at the barber school because it will grow back. :rofl:

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
That show sounds hilarious, I need to check it out. Understandable how new tattoo artists need to get the practice but sure as hell not on my skin. I have a few tats and wont let anyone near me with a tattoo gun unless they've been tattooing for at least 5years.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
if its something simple like the chainring print i wanna get on my leg then i dont see why not, but if its something intricate going into like sleeves or something i would say hell no.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
there's been a HUGE outcry from the tattooing community over this. There's a petition going around to get the whole concept trashed. A lot of it centers around how much training you need on the medical side of things (sterilization of equipment, understanding BBP's, etc) and the show touches on NONE of it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What about practicing on a side of pork? That seems like a better idea.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
there's been a HUGE outcry from the tattooing community over this. There's a petition going around to get the whole concept trashed. A lot of it centers around how much training you need on the medical side of things (sterilization of equipment, understanding BBP's, etc) and the show touches on NONE of it.
sounds like a bunch of whiny people who didnt get a tv show.

just because they dont show them using sterilization techniques or learning about disease, doesnt mean they arent using them.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have to say though, on the episode I watched, there was this one guy (black guy with longer hair if you see the episode) that at the end nails a sweet looking Indian tattoo. Most of the other people are happy to be doing butterflies and stupid crap and this guy has more skills than you see out of many 'pro' tattoo shops.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have to say though, on the episode I watched, there was this one guy (black guy with longer hair if you see the episode) that at the end nails a sweet looking Indian tattoo. Most of the other people are happy to be doing butterflies and stupid crap and this guy has more skills than you see out of many 'pro' tattoo shops.
uhhhhh i'd be willing to bet otherwise. show me a pic of the "sweet" tattoo he did.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I was trying to find a pic, but it was pretty good....seems all the ones floating around are for bad press for the show and there are tons of pics of the crappy work.

Edit: I may not have any tattoos, but it doesn't mean I can't look at something and think it's impressive. I can't even imagine how anal I would be if I was to actually get one. I honestly think most work is pretty ****ty.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was trying to find a pic, but it was pretty good....seems all the ones floating around are for bad press for the show and there are tons of pics of the crappy work.
not saying that someone with experience wouldn't have gone on the show to get exposure to help drum up business, but any self respecting, high quality artist wouldn't touch this abomination of "reality" tv. I've talked to a number of tattoo artsists i know about it, and was told that the general consensus among artists is that this show is appalling and disrespectful to the profession.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
not saying that someone with experience wouldn't have gone on the show to get exposure to help drum up business, but any self respecting, high quality artist wouldn't touch this abomination of "reality" tv. I've talked to a number of tattoo artsists i know about it, and was told that the general consensus among artists is that this show is appalling and disrespectful to the profession.
Not saying I don't agree with you. But I don't think the guy had any real experience (from what I saw, only caught the last half). I think he just had a natural talent for it. Just like anything else, there are people that are just plain gifted at certain things. He was either a) a ringer for the show or b) just damn talented. He was leagues above all the others.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not saying I don't agree with you. But I don't think the guy had any real experience (from what I saw, only caught the last half). I think he just had a natural talent for it. Just like anything else, there are people that are just plain gifted at certain things. He was either a) a ringer for the show or b) just damn talented. He was leagues above all the others.
which isn't really saying much... there's some HORRIBLE tattoo artists out there. google "scratcher"