Quantcast

Tax Return

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
Same question… different year.

What should I buy with my tax return??

So much to choose from!! Any suggestions?? Looking to lighten my FSRxc Comp for racing.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
Since you didn't post what parts you have, I'll say wheels are the quickest way to shed some grams.
I'd have to agree there. Less Rolling weight, and more positive engagement can make all the difference in the world! Also better brakes so you can ride faster into turns, and just tap to slow down, instead of locking them up long before the turn, and losing a bunch of speed!

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
Well, I have been toying around with a different fork. I have a RockShox Recon 355 now, but everyone seems to be enamored with FOX.. maybe a low-end Float or a Vanilla. I don’t know enough about either one, to do a good comparison.

I was also thinking new pedals, going from SPDs to Egg Beats, maybe a new seat, one with the little hole cut in the middle. I also want to get a bike/work stand, tool set, lights and a trainer.

Long list, I gotta start paring it down!

I didn’t realize that a new wheel set would make that much of a difference. I will have to look into that.

That is a nice looking bike ctrailfreak.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
If you go for a wheelset... Get something with at least 24 points of engagement. My Ringle MTX wheelset has 36 points of engagement.
Almost instant, with no sloppy feel between rotations. The new Hope Pro 2 hubs are killer also. They have a 24 point engagement hub. My other bike has Hope bulb hubs and they last forever!

What ever you do, get them Hand built. It's the best money you can spend on a bike.It will be a noticeable difference going from a machine built wheel with cheap hubs, to a custom built wheel with good hubs.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
For XC racing, I'd worry less about rear hub engagement and more about overall weight. I'd say look into a set of DT Swiss wheelsets. Which one, however, will depend on the size of your return.