TaxFiling Monkeys...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Prettym1k3, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Prettym1k3

Prettym1k3 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Anyone ever used www.123easytaxfiling.com? It's recommended off of the IRS website, so I thought I'd give it a go. I hate filing paper style. Plus, I have all of my W-2's, so I figure that I'd get my filing done early and get an early return (at least I hope that I get a return).

Any other websites that might be cheaper? This website says that it'll only be about $20 for both Federal and State.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dante

dante Unabomber

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 8
    I've used TaxACT and TaxCUT (H&R Block), and aside from the fact that you actually have to PAY for it, either are pretty good. TaxCUT looks to be on the IRS website for "freefile", so if you earned less than $54k you *might* be able to file federally for free. Just looking it appears that TaxCUT is free federally, but $29 for your state.

For freefile go to IRS.gov and go from there... you might not get the freefiling if you just go directly to the website.

Just an FYI, whichever program you chose, most will store your information for next year so you can pick up right where you left off. HOWEVER, often they won't allow you to do the "free" program for that. Either type in all your information or pony up the cash for the upgraded version. I usually go back and forth when one of those above programs p!sses me off by pulling a stunt like that...

3. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 4
    I have to look into this myself, I'm off the Windows/Turbo tax teat for this filing year.

(no native Ubuntu software that I know of)

I'll post my findings here.

4. jimmydean

jimmydean The Official Meat of Ridemonkey

Rep/Likes:
    169 / 1,389
    That's why I use the H&R Block (taxcut?) crap. It's all web based and runs fine on Firefox (running on Ubuntu 7.10)

I used to use Turbo Tax, but with H&R Block, I can pull up my taxes for the last 3 years online and BAM! My home filing system sucks :D

5. Prettym1k3

Prettym1k3 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I did mine through taxhead.com after all. Then used the California .gov website to file my state.

WTF at me getting $400 returned from Federal, and owing $332 to state.

Stupid ADP and their automated payroll garbage services not taking out enough from my paychecks.

6. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 4
    Ok I'm all over that sh1t!!

Thanks!

7. G-Cracker

G-Cracker Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I used H&R Block's "free" site last year and it was fast and easy. Though the "free" ended up being $30 for State. But whatever... $30 was a small price to pay.

8. Spunger

Spunger Git yer dumb questions here

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I use taxact each year, it's cheap and easy, and I get my returns quick.

9. bluebug32

bluebug32 Asshat

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Is it easy to do your own taxes? I was thinking of giving it a try this year, since it's just me.