Quantcast

TaxFiling Monkeys...

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Anyone ever used www.123easytaxfiling.com? It's recommended off of the IRS website, so I thought I'd give it a go. I hate filing paper style. Plus, I have all of my W-2's, so I figure that I'd get my filing done early and get an early return (at least I hope that I get a return).

Any other websites that might be cheaper? This website says that it'll only be about $20 for both Federal and State.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I've used TaxACT and TaxCUT (H&R Block), and aside from the fact that you actually have to PAY for it, either are pretty good. TaxCUT looks to be on the IRS website for "freefile", so if you earned less than $54k you *might* be able to file federally for free. Just looking it appears that TaxCUT is free federally, but $29 for your state.

For freefile go to IRS.gov and go from there... you might not get the freefiling if you just go directly to the website.

Just an FYI, whichever program you chose, most will store your information for next year so you can pick up right where you left off. HOWEVER, often they won't allow you to do the "free" program for that. Either type in all your information or pony up the cash for the upgraded version. I usually go back and forth when one of those above programs p!sses me off by pulling a stunt like that...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I have to look into this myself, I'm off the Windows/Turbo tax teat for this filing year.

(no native Ubuntu software that I know of)

I'll post my findings here.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have to look into this myself, I'm off the Windows/Turbo tax teat for this filing year.

(no native Ubuntu software that I know of)

I'll post my findings here.
That's why I use the H&R Block (taxcut?) crap. It's all web based and runs fine on Firefox (running on Ubuntu 7.10)

I used to use Turbo Tax, but with H&R Block, I can pull up my taxes for the last 3 years online and BAM! My home filing system sucks :D

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I did mine through taxhead.com after all. Then used the California .gov website to file my state.

WTF at me getting $400 returned from Federal, and owing $332 to state.

Stupid ADP and their automated payroll garbage services not taking out enough from my paychecks.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I used H&R Block's "free" site last year and it was fast and easy. Though the "free" ended up being $30 for State. But whatever... $30 was a small price to pay.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I use taxact each year, it's cheap and easy, and I get my returns quick.