Quantcast

TdF 2006

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Oh, are they still having a Tour, even without Lance? I can see the North American audience quickly dwindling back to a couple of fat old roadies in wool Molteni jersies, like it was pre-Lance.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Without Lance it might be interesting to watch again. I don't know about anyone else but it was awfully boring, knowing who was going to win before the race even started.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Wow.

without Lance most of the U.S veiwers will be out next year. but without the TTT I think all but the most hardcore tour followers will be watching football this year

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
It's almost better they don't have the TTT, especially since they limited the amount of time teams could lose.
I heard Basso is passing on the Giro to focus solely on the Tour. OLN is showing the '06 Tour...at least they boasted that not long ago.

Personally, I'm anxious for Paris-Roubaix.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Tenchiro said:
Without Lance it might be interesting to watch again. I don't know about anyone else but it was awfully boring, knowing who was going to win before the race even started.
It wasn't about watching to see who would win. It was enjoyable to watch and speculate who would take second.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'll continue the WOW response ;)

It stinks because I moved and now have Cablevision which doesn't carry OLN, so that means, Lance or no Lance, it's no tour for me :(

I hope Trek does another contest (though they have no reason to) because I was really getting into playing Lucky 7 every day.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
bluebug32 said:
I'll continue the WOW response ;)

It stinks because I moved and now have Cablevision which doesn't carry OLN, so that means, Lance or no Lance, it's no tour for me :(

I hope Trek does another contest (though they have no reason to) because I was really getting into playing Lucky 7 every day.
If you are serious about wanting to watch it, you can always go to a local bike shop - lots of time they broadcast coverage.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Heidi said:
If you are serious about wanting to watch it, you can always go to a local bike shop - lots of time they broadcast coverage.
Hmm...but then I'll never go to work. It's probably better that my OLN got cut off because I was taking 3-hour lunch breaks :D

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Dirt rider said:
Wow.

without Lance most of the U.S veiwers will be out next year. but without the TTT I think all but the most hardcore tour followers will be watching football this year

The only thing more boring to watch than the TTT is an ITT.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Wumpus said:
The only thing more boring to watch than the TTT is an ITT.
I gotta disagree. Time trials are boring if you think road racing is boring. 99% of bike racing is here are a bunch of guys riding down the road. Only 1% is sprinting.

Watching time trialing should have you on the edge of your seat. You are waiting for time checks and if any crashes.

Team time trials have the group dynamic, and to see Postal/Discovery win and celebrate is real cool. The crash chances also go up in a TTT.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
sanjuro said:
I gotta disagree. Time trials are boring if you think road racing is boring. 99% of bike racing is here are a bunch of guys riding down the road. Only 1% is sprinting.

Watching time trialing should have you on the edge of your seat. You are waiting for time checks and if any crashes.

Team time trials have the group dynamic, and to see Postal/Discovery win and celebrate is real cool. The crash chances also go up in a TTT.
Or CSC...poor Dave...

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
In view of the way the TdF organizers and LeBlanc have snubbed Armstrong's years of contributions to the legend of the Tour, I'd be happy if OLN dropped the Tour coverage and did the Giro instead. It's a better race over more dramatic terrain anyway. It's only hype that makes the TdF a bigger race. If enough pro teams were fed up with the petty politics and arrogance of the TdF organization, they could make the Giro the premier race.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
I hope that OLN doesn't make the mistake of thinking that Lance is bigger than the Tour. It should be a much more exciting race next year. My podium.... Basso, Vino, Ullrich... Boonen in green, Valverde in Poka Dot, and Danielson in White