Quantcast

TDF Stage 12

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Boonen did not start today due to injuries from a crash yesterday so the Green jersey goes to Hushovd with O'Grady in second and McEwen in third.

Its Bastille Day so watch for a French rider to be hunting for the win.

levi leipheimer said:
School is still in. Yesterday professor Discovery taught a lesson on how to ride your bike like a motorcycle. Today's lesson was how to ride your bike like Valentino Rossi's motorcycle. It was fast.

I felt good but the Galibier was hard. Discovery still had five guys in a group of about sixteen which is crazy - I was hurting when Savoldelli was pulling. Discovery basically kept Vino and Botero within a safe enough distance and then really stepped on the gas over the top of the Galibier.
13:32 CEST 75km/112km to go
The lead group (about 2minutes on the peleton): Stephan Schreck (T-Mobile Team), Giovanni Lombardi (Team CSC), José Luis Arrieta (Illes Balears-Caisse d'Epargne), Axel Merckx (Davitamon-Lotto), Massimo Giunti (Fassa Bortolo), Juan Manuel Garate (Saunier Duval-Prodir), Angel Vicioso (Liberty Seguros-Würth), Patrice Halgand (Credit Agricole), Franco Pellizotti (Liquigas-Bianchi), David Moncoutié (Cofidis, Le Credit Par Telephone), Sandy Casar (Française Des Jeux). Casar is the best placed on GC, at 17'29 in 31st.

Manuel Beltran was injured in a crash and is several minutes behind the peleton at this point. Beltran has had an excellent tour so far and this would be a blow if he was to not be able to continue.

The chasers, at 25 seconds:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
DROP OUT!! Manuel Beltran -- victim of a crash at the start of the stage -- quits the race. This is a blow to Discovery Channel, as Beltran was key climbing support for six-time defending champ Lance Armstrong...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
13:54 BREAKING NEWS: French customs checked team vehicles on the Tour de France on Thursday, a day after Italian Dario Frigo was arrested for an alleged drugs offence. Customs ran checks on vehicles from several teams driving in the caravan which had set off for Digne-les-Bains, the finish of the day's 12th stage from Briancon, reporters covering the race said. A French customs official confirmed the checks had taken place and said nothing suspicious had been found.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
14:17 CEST
According to Belgian TV, quoting Discovery team leader Johan Bruyneel, Beltran apparently fell on his head and blacked out. He wasn't allowed to continue by the race doctor.

14:19 CEST 103km/84km to go
In the break, Axel Merckx is not going to be happy, as Davitamon-Lotto have now started to chase the breakaway. That means McEwen is interested in the green again, so he wants to bring Hushovd and O'Grady back.

The peloton strings out through Seyene-les-Alpes.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I thought Mayo was supposed to be a contender, or at least a top 10 rider. Did I miss something, or is it surprising everyone how hard of a time he's having so far?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
DRB said:
13:54 BREAKING NEWS: French customs checked team vehicles on the Tour de France on Thursday, a day after Italian Dario Frigo was arrested for an alleged drugs offence. Customs ran checks on vehicles from several teams driving in the caravan which had set off for Digne-les-Bains, the finish of the day's 12th stage from Briancon, reporters covering the race said. A French customs official confirmed the checks had taken place and said nothing suspicious had been found.

??? WTF.... Breaking News French customs checked a bunch of support vehicles and found nothing. :nuts:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
14:49 CEST 127km/60km to go
Mathieu Sprick (Bouygues Telecom) is sporting some ripped shorts as a result of a crash. Also, Alejandro Valverde is having problems with his knee.

Valverde has had some issues the past two days with his knee. I hope that it doesn't get worse.

As for Mayo, he just became worker bee and was collecting bottles for the team. He has been complaining of knee issues (same as last year). So its hard to say what his deal is. Some have said that its more of a mental issue than a physical issue BUT..... Either way its a shame because he is talented rider with tons of potential.

In general I think that lots of issues with these guys are team management related. Whether it be the old school way of doing things but many of these old timers just don't seem to be able to get these guys to any sort of consistent level. If I were team owners or principals I would be looking to Riis and Bruyneel as the first step for being successful.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
15:28 CEST
We can forget about the peloton's chances today. It's Discovery who got back on the front as the climb started, and the gap to the leader is now 5'16.

Merckx is doing most of the chasing work behind Moncoutie. O'Grady and Lombardi are doing their best to get back on.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
15:31 - Moncoutie Leads By 25"
The current situation has Moncoutie in the lead of the stage behind him are:
25" - Merckx, Halgand, Garate, Arrieta, Casar and Guinti and Pellizotti
35" - Vicioso
55" - O’Grady and Lombardi
1’06" - Schreck
1’20" - Hushovd
about 6' from there to the peleton. Davitamon apparently decided it would be easier for Merckx to get rid of O'Grady and Hushovd as opposed to chasing them down.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
15:45 CEST
There are places on this descent where the tarmac is already very hot, melting, and sticky... They've put people up there with yellow flags to signal the riders where the dangerous places are.

15:48 CEST
The peloton is now at the top of the climb, 7'42 behind the break.

Moncoutie is navigating the descent well, holding 50 seconds on Merckx's group. The O'Grady/Hushovd group is at 2'05.

Current race situation

David Moncoutié (Cofidis)
José Luis Arrieta (Illes Balears-Caisse d'Epargne), Axel Merckx (Davitamon-Lotto), Juan Manuel Garate (Saunier Duval-Prodir), Patrice Halgand (Credit Agricole), Angel Vicioso (Liberty Seguros-Würth), Sandy Casar (Française Des Jeux) at 0'30
Franco Pellizotti (Liquigas-Bianchi) at 0'50
Massimo Giunti (Fassa Bortolo)at 1'35
Giovanni Lombardi (Team CSC), Stuart O'Grady (Cofidis), Stephan Schreck (T-Mobile Team), Thor Hushovd (CA) at 2'10
Peloton at 7'42

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
The Toninator said:
well they did have to have it going down hill and flat but they didnt have to have it on an uphill finish, i dont really disagree with that for the pro's. but helmets are always a good idea.
Apparently the teams were asking for the change. It was too much of a pain to try and collect the helmets at the bottom of the climb and they were losing tons of them.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
DRB said:
I was a little surprised to find that Axel rides Merckx bikes not the team sponsor Ridley.
they pointed that out last year and several of the team members for the tour were riding merckx's axels daddy has a little influence.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
16:04 CEST 176km/11km to go
Merckx is doing a huge amount of work in the chase, but the others aren't really contributing enough. It's not over yet as Moncoutie starts the Col de l'Orme.

Garate attacks, with Halgand and Merckx and the rest coming back.

16:05 CEST 177km/10km to go
The cooperation is gone and Moncoutie now has 36 seconds. He's hurting as Vicioso puts in a counter attack behind. That's fairly enterprising. Merckx closes the gap fairly comfortably. Arrieta is in trouble.

16:07 CEST 178km/9km to go
Merckx attacks as Moncoutie reaches the top. The gap is 28 seconds as Garate takes second place ahead of Merckx.

Hushovd's group is now at 2'45, and the peloton over 9 minutes back. Casar will move up a bit on GC today

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
16:12 CEST 183km/4km to go
Moncoutie has 29 seconds with just under 4 km to go to the finish. He'll win the stage, and become the first French rider to do so in this year's Tour.

16:13 CEST 184km/3km to go
It's slightly downhill now and the chasers are closing the gap a bit, but 27 seconds is too much.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So all the other contender wan to bes are just happy to sit behind Discovery and keep the status quo? Why not attack even if you know it won't work, make Discovery worry a bit?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
16:15 CEST 185km/2km to go
2 clicks to go for David Moncoutie, who is on track for another Tour stage win. He won almost exactly one year ago.

16:15 CEST
The chasing group is sorting out who will be second today. Merckx is the strongest, but can't sprint. Vicioso might get it.

16:16 CEST 186km/1km to go
Moncoutie is under the 1 km to go banner as he is cheered on by the big crowds at the finish. He takes the tricky corner and is in the straight, still with 31 seconds.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
16:17 CEST 187km/0km to go
David Moncoutie (Copfidis) rides up to the finish line in Digne-les-Bains at full gas, looking back, then celebrating his win with 100 metres to go. Excellent ride by the French climber!! He's delighted with it.

16:18 CEST
The sprint for second is like a track sprint, as they all slow down to 20km/h. Then Arrieta jumps and nearly gets it but it's Casar and Vicioso in second and third.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
So all the other contender wan to bes are just happy to sit behind Discovery and keep the status quo? Why not attack even if you know it won't work, make Discovery worry a bit?
i dont think their 'happy' to be there. I think they've been stuffed and KNOW their place. Like Jan has done every time since 1999 once it gets to a certain point he's just protecting his place because if he goes out pops and drops out of the top 10, that doesn’t look as good on his resume' nor for the sponsors as a top 5.
It’s gutless, if you wanna be a winner, as I and everyone else has stated, you have to put it all on the line or resign yourself to racing for 2nd.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Toninator said:
i dont think their 'happy' to be there. I think they've been stuffed and KNOW their place. Like Jan has done every time since 1999 once it gets to a certain point he's just protecting his place because if he goes out pops and drops out of the top 10, that doesn’t look as good on his resume' nor for the sponsors as a top 5.
It’s gutless, if you wanna be a winner, as I and everyone else has stated, you have to put it all on the line or resign yourself to racing for 2nd.
Even racing for second this guys need to attack each other. If I was them and still was just shooting for a lower podium spot I'd want to make them hurt.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Westy said:
Even racing for second this guys need to attack each other. If I was them and still was just shooting for a lower podium spot I'd want to make them hurt.
But on a day like today its too hard to make an attack stick if the peleton doesn't want it to. And the attacks cost you as much as the catching. So it would really be a wasted effort.

Saturday and Sunday are the days to try and do the damage.

Stage results
1 David Moncoutié (Fra) Cofidis, Le Credit Par Telephone 4.20.06
2 Sandy Casar (Fra) Française Des Jeux 0.57
3 Angel Vicioso (Spa) Liberty Seguros-Würth
4 Patrice Halgand (Fra) Credit Agricole
5 José Luis Arrieta (Spa) Illes Balears-Caisse d'Epargne
6 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas-Bianchi
7 Axel Merckx (Bel) Davitamon-Lotto
8 Juan Manuel Garate (Spa) Saunier Duval-Prodir
9 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Credit 3.15
10 Stuart O'Grady (Aus) Cofidis
11 Stephan Schreck (Ger) T-Mobile Team

Overall
1 Lance Armstrong (USA) Discovery Channel
2 Michael Rasmussen (Den) Rabobank 0.38
3 Christophe Moreau (Fra) Credit Agricole 2.34
4 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 2.40
5 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Illes Balears-Caisse d'Epargne 3.16
6 Santiago Botero (Col) Phonak Hearing Systems 3.48
7 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Gerolsteiner 3.58
8 Francisco Mancebo (Spa) Illes Balears-Caisse d'Epargne 4.00
9 Jan Ullrich (Ger) T-Mobile Team 4.02
10 Andreas Klöden (Ger) T-Mobile Team 4.16

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DRB said:
Sandy Casar will move up into the top 20 but otherwise the same as yesterday. Hushovd will be in the Green Jersey.

Thor should have a litte radio on his bike that blasts Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song viking kitten style.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
DRB said:
But on a day like today its too hard to make an attack stick if the peleton doesn't want it to. And the attacks cost you as much as the catching. So it would really be a wasted effort.

Saturday and Sunday are the days to try and do the damage.

BUTTTTTT it's always hard. there is NO way to make up the time on the flat stages, this wasnt THAT bad of a mtn stage, if the gc guys wanted to go they should have attempted at least something here.
Ax-3 is the next really big one **** or get off the pot :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DRB said:
If each of the contenders took a day to attack it would make a lot of work for Discovery to keep defending.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
How is the retirement of Beltran going to affect LA in the mountains this weekend? Does it give anyone else any hope?

This is the first time I can remember a big cog not being there the whole tour.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
If each of the contenders took a day to attack it would make a lot of work for Discovery to keep defending.
Yea, ATTACK MUTHA****ER!!!!

man i hate to see them just lay back and take it. they need to open a can of some sweet kungfu ninja cycling attackin action, with the kungfu sprint, on the disco destroyers.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Westy said:
It would also take a lot of energy to make those attacks for how much gain? Vino only got a 1' yesterday and Discovery obviously didn't work all that hard (5 teamates including Hincapie). Whereas the day before he lost 5'18" on a mountain top finish, when Discovery unloaded on them. The contenders need to be fresh as possible for when Discovery hits the front on them Saturday and Sunday. OR maybe they are the ones that turn up the pace on Discovery by attacking on the first climb on Saturday or any one of the numerous ones on Sunday.

Additionally, with stages like today and tomorrow, the other teams (Cofidis, Davitamon, Française Des Jeux) are hunting for stage wins that they know aren't coming in the mountains, so they will be just as interested in chasing them down.

Its a smart strategic decision.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Hawkeye said:
How is the retirement of Beltran going to affect LA in the mountains this weekend? Does it give anyone else any hope?

This is the first time I can remember a big cog not being there the whole tour.
it's a little distressing, especially with this weekends stages coming up, their BIG. But as usual some of the guys are really being kept in reserve. They are the strongest team and I believe they will maintain control. Last year it seemed like 1 or 2 of the guys were never really used to their fullest.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
The Toninator said:
it's a little distressing, especially with this weekends stages coming up, their BIG. But as usual some of the guys are really being kept in reserve. They are the strongest team and I believe they will maintain control. Last year it seemed like 1 or 2 of the guys were never really used to their fullest.
Yeah anytime you take one guy out its one less you can throw at the field. Beltran was having a good tour. That being said Ruberia and Azevedo have both been pretty much held in reserve and the Pyrennees are where those two can really come into play. Then Popovych and Savoldelli..... Plus Big George as been hanging around on these climbs. I'm pretty sure they aren't panicing too bad.