Quantcast

TdF : Stage 16 (with SPOILERS)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Did you like the way they opened the show?

Totally downplaying Vino's doping by talking about problems in other sports: Vick, NBA ref, Bonds...

L

luelling

I missed it....shoulda gotten up earlier. I guess cycling's saving grace is that we don't have anyone indicted on dog fighting charges, that should keep PETA at bay :)

<edit> It looks like if Soler can keep it up he is going to win the Polkadot Jersey for the Tour. That guy has a crazy pedaling style but he makes it work

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
It looks like if Soler can keep it up he is going to win the Polkadot Jersey for the Tour. That guy has a crazy pedaling style but he makes it work
Wonder if he getting any water today......he went for hours in stage 14 without water then seemed to be grabbing anything he could get on the side of the road. When he finally got a fresh bottle he bugged Rassmussen if he wanted some too.....Rasmussen didn't know what to say.

It's amazing Soler has never ridden any of theese mountains before. Never even seen them.....that's nuts.

L

luelling

It's amazing Soler has never ridden any of theese mountains before. Never even seen them.....that's nuts.
That is crazy, I hadn't heard that. Its got to be hard to charge a climb having only seen the profile. I did see him in that stage grabbing water from spectators, thats a dangerous move...if someone wanted to be a dick they could put something in it so the rider would fail a doping control

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
That is crazy, I hadn't heard that. Its got to be hard to charge a climb having only seen the profile. I did see him in that stage grabbing water from spectators, thats a dangerous move...if someone wanted to be a dick they could put something in it so the rider would fail a doping control
They used to have thoose nuetral support motorcycles that carried water up front for the riders.........haven't seen them this year.

L

luelling

The freedom fighters from ETA are striking a blow against the capitalist pig oppressors.
Wow, thats nuts. A caller from the ETA called the press to tell them about it, velonews just reported it.

L

luelling

Is anyone here watching it? Reading text just isn't the same :( Sounds really exciting!!

L

luelling

Damn, looks like Ras has it. I was really pulling for Contador

<edit>If only I could have been there to give him a push :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Wouldn't it suck if Contador had the TT of his life but just came a few seconds short from the time bonus Levi got?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Looks like Contador and Soler are the future of the TdF.

They're 1-2 in the White jersey comp and 1-3 in KoM. Kinda neat.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If I could be at the Tour I'd be on the side of the road in a Colonel Sanders costume with a giant foam middle finger.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
hilarious how ligget all but was taking a mattock and shovel and burying rasmussen.
when it was very obvious he was in very good form and willing to let the guys around him attack and fall back.

then listen to him do an about face in their broadcast as he whupped em at the end.

levis' comments at the end show how bias clueless they are about what's really going on. he knew strong he(rasmussen) was. as did most of us watching. his slow but powerful tempo change as they attacked him was easy to see.
they should just call the race and not spend 50% of their time speculating.

good stage.
those top four riders are all very worthy of their place in the standings.

very proud of levi.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Well that settles it... rass is the stronges climber, period. Levi looked really good. Dontt understand the strategy there at the end though. Unless Disco is really just liking their chances of getting 2nd and 3rd more than they are getting 1st.

L

luelling

Well that settles it... rass is the stronges climber, period. Levi looked really good. Dontt understand the strategy there at the end though. Unless Disco is really just liking their chances of getting 2nd and 3rd more than they are getting 1st.
Maybe they figured Rass had it and Contador would have to settle for second, so Levi went ahead to gain time and the bonus. 2,3 will look good in the hunt for a sponsor (Oh, and the fact that none of their riders tested positive :) )

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How come the UCI isn't doing anything about the four "missed" drug tests by Rasmussen??
He only missed TWO from two different organizations that have a three strikes rule. He got an administrative reprimand from them. Three would have yielded a suspension.

Wasn't his blood tested after every stage he finished in the top three?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
He only missed TWO from two different organizations that have a three strikes rule. He got an administrative reprimand from them. Three would have yielded a suspension.

Wasn't his blood tested after every stage he finished in the top three?
So one organization was the UCI and the other was Danish Cycling or something?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So one organization was the UCI and the other was Danish Cycling or something?
I believe that's correct. Different organizations, two strikes only. But again, wasn't he tested during the Tour?

He probably only doped for the TT knowing he wouldn't place high enough to get blood drawn that day and that he only needed to not lose too much time.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Contador was good but not spectacular today. He looked to be wasting energy and getting antsy waiting for the moves - understandable given his age and situation. His attacks were solid but he could not stay away despite having Ras on the ropes with a lot of mountain left. He had a good chance but could not make it happen. I was expecting more attacking from him but it looked like he didn't have the legs. Levi was impressive in the finale and it will be great if he can get on the podium.

Ras stayed calm and in the end nobody could stay with him. His waving at the cameras was annoying, and the asterisk attached to his name is like an elephant in the corner. Can't say I'll be very stoked if he wins. Levi or Contador in Pereiro's position by year end?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I still say he implodes in the TT. He likely won't dope for that one given the intense scrutiny he's under right now...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
In other tours I rooted for Rasmussen, but for some reason now that he's got the yellow jersey, I don't like the guy so much. I don't know why really. :confused:

Does anyone else feel that way?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
In other tours I rooted for Rasmussen, but for some reason now that he's got the yellow jersey, I don't like the guy so much. I don't know why really. :confused:

I'm the opposite.

I like his attitude, everyone is against him and he's fighting hard, almost alone. Is it me, or does his team suck?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
let's just hope contador stays with his present team, and doesn't get lured away next year.

look at their roster.
very strong for seasons to come.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I'm the opposite.

I like his attitude, everyone is against him and he's fighting hard, almost alone. Is it me, or does his team suck?
Rabo looks strong to me.....Ras had company all day til the final climb. That's about as good as it gets.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004

I agree.

Seemed like every tour the last few he would be super human on a stage or two and that was fine......now, just he reeks of being a dirty doped dog.

Plus, i just don't like the tour coming down to , "whos the best anorexic climber". He has zero power.....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I believe that's correct. Different organizations, two strikes only. But again, wasn't he tested during the Tour?

He probably only doped for the TT knowing he wouldn't place high enough to get blood drawn that day and that he only needed to not lose too much time.
Doping just does not work during a race but also in training. Blood dope or hormone dope and you can train harder and recover faster and still be clean for a race. That is why they require your whereabouts so they can test you outside of racing.