Quantcast

TDF Stage 18

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
17:06 - Cadel Leads Lance Over The Line...
Evans has claimed 11th place head of Armstrong, Basso and Ullrich. This quartet finished about 25" ahead of Rasmussen’s group which included Mancebo.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
1. Marcos Serrano - 189km in 4h37’36" (40.85km/h)
2. Cedric Vasseur at 27"
3. Axel Merckx - at 27"
4. Xabier Zandio at 1’08"
5. Franco Pellizotti at 1’08"
6. Thomas Voeckler - at 1’18"
7. Luke Roberts - at 1’28"
8. Matthias Kessler - at 1’444"
9. Egoi Martinez - at 2’03"
10. Carlos Da Cruz - 2’38"
11. Cadel Evans - at 11’18"
12. Lance Armstrong - at 11’18"
13. Ivan Basso - at 11’18"
14. Jan Ullrich - at 11’18"
15. Alexandre Vinokourov - at 11’55"
16. Mickael Rasmussen - at 11’55"
17. Levi Leipheimer - at 11’55"
18. Francisco Mancebo - at 11’55"
19. Leonardo Piepoli - at 12’01"
20. Floyd Landis - at 12’07"

That's the stage results

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Overall now

1 001 ARMSTRONG Lance DSC USA
2 021 BASSO Ivan CSC ITA 02' 46"
3 057 RASMUSSEN Mickael RAB DEN 03' 46"
4 011 ULLRICH Jan TMO GER 05' 58"
5 031 MANCEBO Francisco IBA ESP 07' 08"
6 164 LEIPHEIMER Levi GST USA 08' 12"
7 044 EVANS Cadel DVL AUS 09' 49"
8 019 VINOKOUROV Alexandre TMO KAZ 10' 11"
9 066 LANDIS Floyd PHO USA 10' 42"
10 101 MOREAU Christophe C.A FRA 13' 15"

So Evans goes back ahead of Vino and Landis. Ullrich closes 37" closer to Rasmussen which makes it likely he will pass him in the TT for a podium spot.

Tomorrow is unlikely to produce splits in the top GC guys. So if you want to move up the list you better get the TT legs going

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
DRB said:
Overall now

1 001 ARMSTRONG Lance DSC USA
2 021 BASSO Ivan CSC ITA 02' 46"
3 057 RASMUSSEN Mickael RAB DEN 03' 46"
4 011 ULLRICH Jan TMO GER 05' 58"
5 031 MANCEBO Francisco IBA ESP 07' 08"
6 164 LEIPHEIMER Levi GST USA 08' 12"
7 044 EVANS Cadel DVL AUS 09' 49"
8 019 VINOKOUROV Alexandre TMO KAZ 10' 11"
9 066 LANDIS Floyd PHO USA 10' 42"
10 101 MOREAU Christophe C.A FRA 13' 15"

So Evans goes back ahead of Vino and Landis. Ullrich closes 37" closer to Rasmussen which makes it likely he will pass him in the TT for a podium spot.

Tomorrow is unlikely to produce splits in the top GC guys. So if you want to move up the list you better get the TT legs going

It's going to be close for Ullrich, but I think he will make third. That 37 seconds may well be the key.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
What is the deal with Landis? I had heard Lance & co. were really trying to drop him because of some comments he made to the French press. I can't find these comments anywhere.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hawkeye said:
What is the deal with Landis? I had heard Lance & co. were really trying to drop him because of some comments he made to the French press. I can't find these comments anywhere.

Goto to Cyclingnews.com and read from yesterdays articles.

The gap from Razz to Ulrich is now 2:12
That ain't gonna cut it in the TT.
Chicken will be deep fried and land in 4th. :blah:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Landis on Armstrong

Lance Armstrong and Discovery Channel's tempo riding in stage 17 appeared to be motivated by the desire to limit former team-mate Floyd Landis' chances, after Landis made remarks about the team in an interview with L'Equipe earlier this week.

Looking back to the 2003 Tour, Landis gave a frank assessment of one of the reasons for Armstrong's success. "It was the only time that people thought he could lose," Landis told L'Equipe (as translated by Procycling). "Everyone around him was concerned, even us, his team-mates. But the most surprising thing was that he didn't show anything. I will always remember that he directed the other riders around like the boss of a company. For him, the race was business and he was the boss.

"In some teams they often talk about their friendship, but in a team like that with someone who behaves as if he really is the boss, I don't think you can go that far in talking about friendship. In everyday life it's hard to be friends with your boss. I don't believe that Lance has ever had that kind of friendship with any of his team-mates, even with George Hincapie, whom he has known since he was 17. Friendship can't exist when you give orders and direct others. It's not necessarily a negative thing. It's by acting in this way that Lance has been able to win the Tour so often."
Yeah so.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
the TT is going to be interesting if ras doesnt lose anymore time tomorrow on jan. the was 2:04 behind jan on the first TT but was he really motivated to put in a big performance? I dont think so. Is he as good of a TTest as Jan, nope, but there's nothing a Marine and his rifle cant accomplish.
Jan is now 2:12 behind ras. it's will be interesting. I'd like to see ras keep his spot if nothing more than to show that jan is a looser. damn how bad is that when a MOUNTAIN biker beats the #2 contender in such a prestigious race?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
The Toninator said:
the TT is going to be interesting if ras doesnt lose anymore time tomorrow on jan. the was 2:04 behind jan on the first TT but was he really motivated to put in a big performance? I dont think so. Is he as good of a TTest as Jan, nope, but there's nothing a Marine and his rifle cant accomplish.
Jan is now 2:12 behind ras. it's will be interesting. I'd like to see ras keep his spot if nothing more than to show that jan is a looser. damn how bad is that when a MOUNTAIN biker buts the #2 contender in such a prestigious race?

The second TT is longer, I can't see how he can avoid losing more time than the first unless Ullric crashed like he did in '03 (?). Basso seems to have second locked up, he isn't going to lose 4 minutes.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
The Toninator said:
Jan is now 2:12 behind ras. it's will be interesting. I'd like to see ras keep his spot if nothing more than to show that jan is a looser. damn how bad is that when a MOUNTAIN biker buts the #2 contender in such a prestigious race?
I get a kick out of the fact that Rasmussen and Evans and three Americans are going to finish ahead of Moreau. I hate him almost as much as MMike.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Reactor said:
The second TT is longer, I can't see how he can avoid losing more time than the first unless Ullric crashed like he did in '03 (?). Basso seems to have second locked up, he isn't going to lose 4 minutes.
basso looks solid i'd expect him to stay put but again i'm not sure ras went all out on the first TT.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
The Toninator said:
Well, if I was a betting man.........
Here are the facts:

Ulrich beat Razz by 2:06 in the short opening time trail that was only 19km
long.
Ulrich was banged up then, and Razz did not have anything on the line.
But Ulrich gets stronger in a 3 week tour, and Razz has been struggling in the final week.
Ulrich can throw down in a TT when he is on form, and this one is 55.5km long.
I don't even think it will be close.
Or maybe I am full of crap, because I have always been a fan of Jan's since he was runner up to Riis a gazillion years ago.
Maybe we can have an ice cream or a struddle one day. ;)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Jeremy R said:
Here are the facts:

long.
But Ulrich gets stronger in a 3 week tour, and Razz has been struggling in the final week.
Or maybe I am full of crap, because I have always been a fan of Jan's since he was runner up to Riis a gazillion years ago.
You do seem to have a mancrush going on. Not there is anything wrong with that.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Jeremy R said:
Here are the facts:

long.
so you are going to give me 5 minutes + the 2:06 for $10 but believe that jas is still going to beat him? I'll take a piece of that action.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Can Jan make up 3 minutes to Basso???

I know it's a lot of time, but like someone said, Jan really comes into form late in the Tour. Did someone say something yesterday about Basso now being a good TTer? All I can remember was the horrid TT he put out in last year's Tour. F'n ugly from what I remember, but then again, my memory blows.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
:stupid: Sounds like it

Hey, this coming from someone who constantly takes ghey azz pictures of trailriders with their arms around one another sporting nuthuggers hanging out on some mountain vista. :heart:
How do you get the ice cream all the way up there without it melting? ;)

Nah, I am actually just a huge tour fan, I always have been, since Indurain.
Which if funny considering I never pick a road ride over a MTB ride.
Oh well, Lance is going to crush the TT. :dancing:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Jeremy R said:
Hey, this coming from someone who constantly takes ghey azz pictures of trailriders with their arms around one another sporting nuthuggers hanging out on some mountain vista. :heart:
How do you get the ice cream all the way up there without it melting? ;)

Floyd would love them.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
The Toninator said:
so you are going to give me 5 minutes + the 2:06 for $10 but believe that jas is still going to beat him? I'll take a piece of that action.
How about................No.
If Chicken loses 7:06, he should have his bike taken away. :eviltongu

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Jeremy R said:
How about................No.
If Chicken loses 7:06, he should have his bike taken away. :eviltongu
but wait!!!! were you just talking out your butt :rolleyes: take the actual bet away. you said it wasnt even going to be close so i was trying to establish what 'wasnt close' was.
jan beat ras by 2:04 in 19K. This stage is 55k. So that's almost 6:12 if he stays consistant.
so what is not close going to be?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
to boot. the TT stage lance caught basso on last year was a pure climb. straight up alpe d'auz. not an easy thing for anyone who spent their days riding off with lance up those mtn passes. he's in much better condition this year and the tt is an actual tt. watch

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
indieboy said:
to boot. the TT stage lance caught basso on last year was a pure climb. straight up alpe d'auz. not an easy thing for anyone who spent their days riding off with lance up those mtn passes. he's in much better condition this year and the tt is an actual tt. watch
so your saying Basso is going to beat lances time and win the TT?
i'll take a little of that action burger boi.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
i don't think he'll beat lance. i didn't say that punk. he possibly could if he actually goes for it instead of trying to simply defend. it's going to be close

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
As for last year Lance passed Basso on the Alpe which wasn't so much a time trial as a hill climb. In the last TT, which was a real TT, Lance almost passed him on that one as well. Ullrich put almost 2' into him. So no matter how you slice he sucked at TTs last year regardless of type.

Basso has improved his TT by a huge margin. He won the second TT in the giro and came in second on the first one. He worked alot in the off season on it. HOWEVER, the Giro ain't in the same league as the Tour. He still is not in Lance or Ullrich's class in the TT. Basso will lose time to Lance and probably Ullrich as well.

BUT that being said he won't lose 2 minutes to Ullrich so he isn't going anywhere on the GC.

As for Lance its simply a matter of how much....

The more interesting questions come in 5 thru 9. Can Mancebo hold off Levi? Where will Vino, Evans and Floyd come out of this?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
the giro isn't the same league as the tour?
yet basso only lost the first TT in the giro by 2 seconds to the same guy who beat lance by the same margin.......c'mon

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
indieboy said:
the giro isn't the same league as the tour?
yet basso only lost the first TT in the giro by 2 seconds to the same guy who beat lance by the same margin.......c'mon
only sissy italians and italian wana bees race the giro.