Quantcast

TdF Stage 6 - Troyes to Nancy

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Presonal Note: I'd like to let the British people know we Americans are with you on this day...

Troyes to Nancy

Distance: 199 km/123.7 miles

Type of Stage: Road, flat to rolling

Principal Difficulties: As the race nears the Alsace-Lorraine region, the flat fields will begin to give way to rolling hills.

What to Watch For: There are no significant climbs, but the terrain and winding roads could encourage breakaways, where a 30-second margin puts you out of sight (and, hopefully, out of mind) of the main field.

Principal Protagonists: Look for the French teams to agitate here, particularly wild card Ag2r-Prevoyance, which will be looking to justify its selection over other talented teams.

How This Stage Affects the Race: Not much to speak of here; still trying to stay out of trouble and finish with the other favorites.

Local Flavor: In 1420, the Treaty of Troyes was signed here, ending (not for long) the Hundred Years' War and naming English King Henry V the heir to France.

Listen on the web: http://wmedialive.coltfrance.com/tourfrance_com

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Current situation on the road:
Mauro Gerosa (I), Liquigas [84th at 4:22]
Christophe Mengin (F), Francaise des Jeux [142nd at 5:40]
Stephane Auge (F), Cofidis [167th at 7:32]
Karsten Kroon (Nl), Rabobank [179th at 10:03]
Jaan Kisipuu (Est) Credit Agricole [182 at 10:49]

The five escaped in a series of early attacks and joined forces by the 35km mark.

Latest time check: 7:21 at km 106

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
2:50 p.m. - The rain is coming down and the peloton is stretched out in single-file. The pace is hard enough to have trimmed the escapees lead to 7:21 at the 106km mark. Today's pace is still averaging around 48.7kph.

2:56 p.m. - With 90km to go, the leaders are 6:50 ahead of the peloton.

3:00 p.m. - The gap continues to come down as Lotto and QuickStep set tempo. With 86km to go, we have gap of 6:15.

We have, by the way received several very nice notes since we put up our e-mail address. One in particular made all of us laugh:

I follow your live updates religiously here at the office - helps the day pass by quick! It's almost more exciting than watching the television broadcast. When I read 'ZABRISKIE CRASHES!!' the other day, I literally jumped up in my cubicle and shouted. It earned me a few scathing looks, but it was worth it.
Anyway, just saying 'nice work'!
You mean you people follow the Tour when you should be working!?!?!?! Tsk, tsk, tsk....

3:05 p.m. - With 83km to go, the gap is holding at just around 6:15. The roads are getting wet and our leaders are picking their way through some tight turns very carefully.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
16:46 CEST 194km/5km to go
Mengin is now on the flat, as Cioni starts to lose gas on a false flat. The peloton is coming, but it's not over for Mengin yet. He has 12 seconds.

16:47 CEST
Rogers gets to the front for Quick.Step, so they're really bringing in the heavy artillery. Mengin rides through the streets of Nancy that he knows so well.

Cioni is caught. 20 seconds to Mengin!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DRB said:
16:46 CEST 194km/5km to go
Mengin is now on the flat, as Cioni starts to lose gas on a false flat. The peloton is coming, but it's not over for Mengin yet. He has 12 seconds.

16:47 CEST
Rogers gets to the front for Quick.Step, so they're really bringing in the heavy artillery. Mengin rides through the streets of Nancy that he knows so well.

Cioni is caught. 20 seconds to Mengin!

Lead drops to 17 seconds...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
16:50 CEST
Mengin drives towards 2 km to go, holding his 10 second lead. Vinokourov attacks!!

16:50 CEST 197.5km/1.5km to go
Vino gets a bit of a gap but Bortolami chases behind him. O'Grady right there.

Mengin has five seconds.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
16:52 CEST
Mengin crashes on the last corner! And most of the peloton crash into him. Cancellara misses it, but Vino doesn't quite. He is chasing the Swiss rider.

The sprinters are all down.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
It was Bernucci not Cancellara

16:53 CEST 199km/0km to go
Bernucci drives to the finish and Vinokourov will take second. Excellent ride by the Kazakh. Bernucci celebrates! What a finish!

16:54 CEST
McEwen and Boonen ride in together with Rodriguez and Chavanel. Armstrong will lose time to Vinokourov, but the rest of the peloton should get the same time. Mengin's crash completely threw the peloton off. Vino and Bernucci were lucky to avoid it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
N8 said:
How does the sprint winner gain time against the race leader? I thought everyone got the same time..???
yea... I understand the whole peleton getting the same time thing... but how/when do they decide to start giving riders different times? Does the lead at the finish line have to be a certain amount? Do they have to be leading going into the last km? How's that all work?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
N8 said:
How does the sprint winner gain time against the race leader? I thought everyone got the same time..???
they weren't wheel-to-wheel at the finish. There was a 2 sec. gap to Vino, then I think 4 sec from Vino to the rest.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
motomike said:
they weren't wheel-to-wheel at the finish. There was a 2 sec. gap to Vino, then I think 4 sec from Vino to the rest.

Ah... so it was not considered a 'sprint finish' then... I see.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think Vino is going to be a real threat to Armstron this year. The past few years Lance has only been able to defend in the mountains but kills on the TT's. If Vino can make time in the mountains it will probably come down to the last TT on the second to last stage.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
jacksonpt said:
Man... this chick commentator is awful. Shut the hell up already...
hmm. bad or worse than Bob Roll's pronunciation of "tour day france" ?

actually, bob's pronunciation has been a source of amusement for me- every time bob says it, the fiancee cringes. kinda funny to watch!

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
slowSSer said:

actually, bob's pronunciation has been a source of amusement for me- every time bob says it, the fiancee cringes. kinda funny to watch!

I really think he does that on purpose.

On the first day he actually said

"DA tour Day France"

and

"Da tour Day Lance"

I doubled over laughing.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
slowSSer said:

You mean "Tour Day Frants"...

:p

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Hawkeye said:
I really think he does that on purpose.

On the first day he actually said

"DA tour Day France"

and

"Da tour Day Lance"

I doubled over laughing.
hey, bob's a good sport about it- remember last year's OLN ads with Bob trying to sound like Phil? really funny.

"coming down like a grand prix motorcar"

:thumb:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Westy said:
I think Vino is going to be a real threat to Armstron this year. The past few years Lance has only been able to defend in the mountains but kills on the TT's. If Vino can make time in the mountains it will probably come down to the last TT on the second to last stage.
IF Vino can make time in the mountains???? What makes you think he can do that?

I think that this race is in for a big Discovery smack in the face on Sunday (stage 10).