Quantcast

TdF Stage 7 - Luneville - Karlsruhe

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Stage 7 - Lunéville to Karlsruhe >228.5km

Course: The two early climbs may encourage some attacks, but the flat final half of this stage through the Rhine Valley virtually guarantees a bunch finish in Karlsruhe.

Favorites: The expected huge crowds lining the long (1.2km), wide finishing straight in the German city of Karlsruhe will all be cheering for a homeboy to win this stage. But things don't always work out according to plan: When the Tour last had a German stage town en route, Erik Zabel lost the mass sprint in Saarbrücken to Freire. Neither man will be in this Tour, though and Cooke, Thor Hushovd and the Nazon brothers (Damian and Jean-Patrick) will also be on the hunt for a stage win.

The Tour goes to Karlsruhe, the real home of the bicycle

Listen in here: http://wmedialive.coltfrance.com/tourfrance_com

Other things to look for: DiDi the Devil will be out on the German side today

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Tom Boonen crashed.

Wilfried Peeters talked about Tom Boonen's crash today on Belgian TV: "Tom Boonen crashed and broke his bike. He was in pain and had to see the race doctor. His back is hurting and he said he'll have to see the osteopath for sure this evening, there might be a blockage which could take the power away from his legs. Tom said he'll see what happens later on for the intermediate sprint and the final sprint."

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DRB said:
Tom Boonen crashed.

Wilfried Peeters talked about Tom Boonen's crash today on Belgian TV: "Tom Boonen crashed and broke his bike. He was in pain and had to see the race doctor. His back is hurting and he said he'll have to see the osteopath for sure this evening, there might be a blockage which could take the power away from his legs. Tom said he'll see what happens later on for the intermediate sprint and the final sprint."

He crashed today... on Stage 7?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
N8 said:
Is it really possible for Lance to lose the Yellow today to someone???
Yep he crashed early in the stage.

Yes Wegemann, a German headed to Germany, is around 8 minutes in front of the peleton is only 3'46" down. With 88km to go they are starting to flirt with not being able to get him back. He is alone so that makes it easier to chase him down but..... Discovery is apparently not really trying to catch him as he isn't a threat long term. The sprinters teams seem uninterested according to the commentary. If Boonen is really hurt then Quick Step has absolutely no reason to chase him down, leaving it to Davitamon and FDJ (and whoever else) to bring it back together. Maybe sprinting for second is good enough????

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
158 km Wegmann's advantage drops rapidly after Davitamon-Lotto has taken the lead in the peloton.

Wegmann's 8+ min lead shrinks to 4 min and change..

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
N8 said:
158 km Wegmann's advantage drops rapidly after Davitamon-Lotto has taken the lead in the peloton.

Wegmann's 8+ min lead shrinks to 4 min and change..
He's feuked. Lotto and QS are going to be at the front at the end. Another Boonen vs McEwen vs Ogrady.

BTW I was watching the Ogrady/Mcewen scuffle yesterday in slow-mo. Ogrady started it by putting an elbow into McEwen, and McEwen didnt really headbutt him it was more like he was contorting his torso to keep his bike vertical and in the same place while the Ogrady was sticking an big elbow into his side. It was far from a headbutt as it didnt even really impact Ogrady. McEwen was robbed.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
N8 said:
Not the most exciting stage...
Yea... I looked at the course profile and decided I'd pass on the audio stream today. These long flat stages get old by hour number 3. Can't wait for Sunday though when things will start to get more interesting.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Is there a Babelfish translator for Sean Kelly?

I am sure that the guy has something interesting to say, but all I get is "Whazzibibble hititititit kerplouie dignatz fronj whojibibibble."

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
haven't really been following these threads or the tour too closely.

What happened to ZABRISKIE? Did he get caught up in the crash yesterday or is he hurtin? I noticed he slipped a few spots to like 140th or something.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
DVNT said:
haven't really been following these threads or the tour too closely.

What happened to ZABRISKIE? Did he get caught up in the crash yesterday or is he hurtin? I noticed he slipped a few spots to like 140th or something.
He got dropped on the last climb yesterday. He is still pretty hammered from his crash in the team time trial.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DRB said:
Surprising but none so far. I would have figured folks to go off the front when they caught Wegmann. Guess everyone just wants to get finished with the minimal of efforts today.

Pretty dull so far....

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Westy said:
I want to see Thor Hushovd take the sprint because he has the best name ever.

It is pretty cool, but I wish he would dress up in a viking hat and stuff.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
17:13 - McEwen Wins The Day
Robbie McEwen has thrown his arms in the air to celebrate the win. We’ll wait for the photo but it seems certain that the Australian has beaten Magnus Backstedt to win the seventh stage of the 2005 Tour.