Quantcast

TDF Stage.... What its over?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Going thru tour withdrawals already......

So favorite Lance tour memories

2. Lance winning Stage 17, outsprinting Kloden. The picture says it all.

1. Lance winning Stage 18 in 1995. The way he rode away from that breakaway....

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've only really watched the last 2 tours... so I don't have the history with Lance that you do, but...

The first individual time trial this year, when he passed Jan.
One one of the early mountain stages this year, when he leaned over to Popovych (I think) and told him to put the hammer down, and the two of them pulled away.

J

JRB

Reactor said:
I think he's going to live in spain most of the time. His head is going to return to normal, but something else will "swell".
I thought he retired to be with his kids in Austin. Don't you listen??? :think:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Reactor said:
I think he's going to live in spain most of the time. His head is going to return to normal, but something else will "swell".
Nah he'll be in Austin the majority of the time. The reason he quit was the kids and the kids are in Austin. So he'll be in Austin.

EDIT: DAMN beat to the punch by the large headed texan...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
loco said:
I thought he retired to be with his kids in Austin. Don't you listen??? :think:

He purchased the entire floor of a swanky condo building in Spain, and turned it into a huge private home. Maybe he changed his plans and is moving to Austin now. Either way I wish him luck.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
Reactor said:
He purchased the entire floor of a swanky condo building in Spain, and turned it into a huge private home. Maybe he changed his plans and is moving to Austin now. Either way I wish him luck.
sounds like you will need to change your stalker plans :sneaky:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I stumbled out of bed this morning and groggily walked over to the TV, and flipped on OLN by instinct.
And then I saw some small penis having, big gun toting dude decked out in camo and torturing wildlife, and the cold reality hit me, reminding me it was over. :dead:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
BMXman said:
for me once Lance started dominating the tour became far less interesting...D
i think it will be more interesting because several contenders are all on the same level basso, ullrich, vino etc and they all believe they can win now. I think there will be more attacks and there for more action and there for more excitement.
Should be an exciting tour next year because the race is wide open now.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
As some of you have expressed better than I can, I find myself in the week after the Tour somewhat sad that it's over.

Next year will be interesting, I'll be trying to figure out who to cheer for, it's down to Basso or Ulrich.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Andyman_1970 said:
As some of you have expressed better than I can, I find myself in the week after the Tour somewhat sad that it's over.

Next year will be interesting, I'll be trying to figure out who to cheer for, it's down to Basso or Ulrich.
:stupid:

Although Vinokourov wouldn't be a bad choice either.

It should be interesting to see where Discovery picks up. I certainly do not think just anyone could step in and lead that team to such dominating victory, but it seems from my inexperienced eyes that team Discovery has a much smarter approach then the other teams. I dont know what makes them different (other then Lance) but it obviously works.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Reactor said:

That place has been on the market for almost a year. My cousin actually looked at it. It's about 2.5 million

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
:stupid:

Although Vinokourov wouldn't be a bad choice either.

It should be interesting to see where Discovery picks up. I certainly do not think just anyone could step in and lead that team to such dominating victory, but it seems from my inexperienced eyes that team Discovery has a much smarter approach then the other teams. I dont know what makes them different (other then Lance) but it obviously works.

Did you see before Lanch took the podium Vino was pointing to his Disco jersey saying that he's going to look goo in it next year and Lance's shook his head laughing?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Hawkeye said:
Did you see before Lanch took the podium Vino was pointing to his Disco jersey saying that he's going to look goo in it next year and Lance's shook his head laughing?
Cool, I would certainly be as interested in the Tour if Vino is in a Discovery jersey, but can Discovery keep the team as talented around a smaller star so to say? I mean how many of the Discovery guys could be riding point on another team, but didnt because they
1) wanted to support/help Lance win
2) knew they couldnt beat Lance if they were on another team

Whatever the reason, will the supporting cast be AS strong next year?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Andyman_1970 said:
I'll probably be routing for
- Rasmussen because of his MTB background
- Vinokourov because of how aggressive he is (or was this year, see what he does with a different team next year)
- Voeckler - not real sure why... he made a real nice technical move early in this year's tour, and I found myself routing for him throughout.
- Merckx just because

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Hawkeye said:
vino as part of th disco destroyers would be a pretty significant forc in the peleton. BUT after this year I have to ask myself if he’s disciplined enough to USE the team to it’s full potential instead of asking his things if their feeling strong and attacking when they say ‘yea.’

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
jacksonpt said:
- Voeckler - not real sure why... he made a real nice technical move early in this year's tour, and I found myself routing for him throughout.
cus he's like 12 years old and held the yellow jersey for 10 days last year. thats superduper awesome!!!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
hmmm... good point.

How about a Vino or Rasmussen lead Disco team with Zabriskie?
I don't know the ins and outs of tour strategy and such yet as I've only been watching it for 2 years now, but I don't think Vino would be a good fit - too aggressive for the all-team strategy that has worked so well for disco. Rasmussen might be a good fit... though I'm not sure he has the legs for the Pirynees (or however you spell it).

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
The Toninator said:
vino as part of th disco destroyers would be a pretty significant forc in the peleton. BUT after this year I have to ask myself if he’s disciplined enough to USE the team to it’s full potential instead of asking his things if their feeling strong and attacking when they say ‘yea.’
And here is the reason that I think Johan said that he didn't believe that Vino could win the tour. He is too apt to just attack and ask questions later. It can work sometimes but others leave you absolutely wasted. Those wasted days drop you 3 or 4 minutes in the hole and your tour aspirations are basically over. IF he (or someone) could get himself under control, then he'd be tough to beat. Its so hard to tell.

Discovery with Popoyvch will still need to be considered. He was almost in the top 10 in a support role of Armstrong. Spend a year working on his TT, he can already climb......

It will be interesting to see if Discovery goes hunting another GC guy for the short term. I just don't know who they would go after besides Vino. If it was my choice and I had to get someone I would be kicking in Cadel Evans door. With McEwen that will always be a sprinters team.... he certainly showed his mettle and his ability.

The only good thing that the end of the tour means is that training camp is starting and the NFL is just around the corner.....

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
jacksonpt said:
I don't know the ins and outs of tour strategy and such yet as I've only been watching it for 2 years now, but I don't think Vino would be a good fit - too aggressive for the all-team strategy that has worked so well for disco.
You dont think with Lance standing over his shoulder saying.. Wait.. Wait... Would work?

Haha... either way this has been great for cycling. Hopefully next year's tour will be hotly contested replacing the Lance saga with some incredible drama, and cycling will just get bigger.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Jeremy R said:
I stumbled out of bed this morning and groggily walked over to the TV, and flipped on OLN by instinct.
And then I saw some small penis having, big gun toting dude decked out in camo and torturing wildlife, and the cold reality hit me, reminding me it was over. :dead:
OLN is broadcasting N8 on vacation??

:think:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
DRB said:
And here is the reason that I think Johan said that he didn't believe that Vino could win the tour. He is too apt to just attack and ask questions later. It can work sometimes but others leave you absolutely wasted. Those wasted days drop you 3 or 4 minutes in the hole and your tour aspirations are basically over. IF he (or someone) could get himself under control, then he'd be tough to beat. Its so hard to tell.

Discovery with Popoyvch will still need to be considered. He was almost in the top 10 in a support role of Armstrong. Spend a year working on his TT, he can already climb......

It will be interesting to see if Discovery goes hunting another GC guy for the short term. I just don't know who they would go after besides Vino. If it was my choice and I had to get someone I would be kicking in Cadel Evans door. With McEwen that will always be a sprinters team.... he certainly showed his mettle and his ability.

The only good thing that the end of the tour means is that training camp is starting and the NFL is just around the corner.....
pops on his way but he's not ready, look at the others who have jumped to other teams as leaders. He does have a future though.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Vino has never had 100% committment from T-mobile, that team is such a cluster-f!!!k that it's pretty much every man for himself. He needed to attack to get some results and exposure. With more discipline and support he could definitely be a contender next year. Plus he would be hugely motivated to beat Ullrich, assuming Jan races again. Personally I think Basso is the man next year, maybe an obvious choice but he is the only one that could hang with Lance in the mountains and his time trialing is getting better every year. If he skips the Giro he can win the Tour next year.