Quantcast

TdF stragegy question - breakaways

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
jacksonpt said:
What are teams/riders hoping for when they initiate or participate in a breakaway? What's the strategy?
To win the race.

*The peleton likes for a break to get away because it usually stops more attacks from happening. They then reel them in close to the finish to set it up for the sprinters.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
And just sometimes they work, although I have never seen one do it in the first week, except for Mattias whats his face.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
So far not so good for those breakaway riders.

Robbie McEwen is killin it so far - but he can't climb the steep stuff right?

I wasn't planning on watching all that much this year, but I've been on vacation all this week, so I've caught a great deal of coverage. McEwen can haul ass in those sprints!!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yah, he isn't so good in the mountians. He's doing simply awesome. He's at something like 11 Giro stage wins and 11 Tour stage wins now - that's sweet!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
what place is Hincapie in right now?

I didn't watch much today. Just caught the end of the stage after returning from miniature golf with my kids.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
MMcG said:
what place is Hincapie in right now?

I didn't watch much today. Just caught the end of the stage after returning from miniature golf with my kids.
5th - 25 seconds back.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One thing to understand about tour sponsorship is that the more time a team can get into the spotlight is more advertising for their sponsor.

I think this differs than lets say Nascar, which more focused on the drivers. In comparison, few fans know that Discovery is owned by Tailwind Sports, and they seek out sponsors like Disco and USPS.

Anyway, teams which have no chance of winning the Tour or one of the jerseys, like the Green Jersey, will send riders on early breaks. The chances of succeeding are minimal (although it does happen, in the case of Greg Lemond's teammate Vincent Barteau), but it does get the team sponsor on the cameras.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
sanjuro said:
Anyway, teams which have no chance of winning the Tour or one of the jerseys, like the Green Jersey, will send riders on early breaks. The chances of succeeding are minimal (although it does happen, in the case of Greg Lemond's teammate Vincent Barteau), but it does get the team sponsor on the cameras.
Ah, that makes sense...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Finally a breakaway succeeded in this Tour de France. AG2R-Prevoyance rider Sylvain Calzati, a Frenchman with an Italian name (an unusual combination on the eve of the World Cup final) rode clear of a six man breakaway with 32 kilometres to go.

Riding into strong, gusty winds, Calzati refused to be dragged back, as all other breaks have been this Tour. Finn Kjell Carlström (Liquigas) and Frenchman Patrice Halgand (Crédit Agricole) managed to just hold off the flying peloton to take second and third.

At the post race press conference, Calzati stunned the French media when he was asked how important a French win was on the eve of the French hopes in the World Cup "I'm sorry to disappoint you but I'm barracking for Italy," Calzati said.

btw -- Paul Sherwen said the ride at the front for advertisers in hoo-haa and that if you are in a break you are trying to win the race.