Quantcast

teach me the ways of the steak

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
973
0
Charlottesville, Virginia
Im a fledgling cook and I love steaks. Post up your favorite marinade/ seasoning recipes! I just threw something together with a lil ranch dressing, barbeque sauce and some steak seasoning on the grill. It was random, but really not bad. So hit me with some sugjestions!
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
Mattoid said:
Im a fledgling cook and I love steaks. Post up your favorite marinade/ seasoning recipes! I just threw something together with a lil ranch dressing, barbeque sauce and some steak seasoning on the grill. It was random, but really not bad. So hit me with some sugjestions!
Never marinade a good steak. Salt, pepper and maybe garlic. If you want to get fancy, fry up some garlic cloves in olive oil. Sear the steak on both sides and then cook it (indirectly) over some hickory or maybe a bit of mesquite. (Oak wood be good too.)

Once you pull it off the heat, give it 5-10 minutes to rest. Otherwise the second you cut it, all the juices are going to just run right out.

When buying steak, stay away from the orange or pink looking ones and go for a nice dark red (dry aged if possible) piece of meat. Go to the end of the aisle where the discounted pieces of meat live. They are almost at their pull date and usually more tender because they have had time to break down a bit.

See that strip of fat on the side, DO NOT cut that off.


:drool:
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
Oh, get an electronic remote probe style thermometer and cook that bad boy to 145°. Pull it off and it should probably reach 150° and back to 145° by the time it has rested for 10 min and that will give you a nice medium well steak.
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
narlus said:
tenchiro speaks the truth.

aside from the medium-well thing. steak should never be more than medium-rare
Crap, 145° is Medium Rare.... I have no idea why I typed Well....

But yes, Medium Well is unacceptable.
 

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
1,800
0
Broomfield, Colorado
When grilling your steak keep the heat low and flip once. I like putting salt, pepper and garlic on my steak and serving it with sauteed mushrooms.

Now if you have more time (like 24 hours) and you really need to marinate this steak...try this.
http://www.i-clipse.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=78895-74004

I have been using this more in Burgers now because you can chop up onions and garlic and put them in the meat with this and it is SOO GOOD.
 

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,638
26
behind the viewfinder
Motionboy2 said:
When grilling your steak keep the heat low and flip once.
i prefer to crank the heat high, sear the sides once each (you can rotate it 90 deg if you want some fancy cross-hatching pattern), and keep it bloody in the middle.
 
I say flip often... dont give the juice time to come to the surface and evaporate off. When you see the juices begin to bubble to the surface flip and allow those juices to come back through the steak, do this until the steak reaches your prefered doneness.
 
I get the grill as hot as possible to sear and seal, and give it one flip (two max), about 8 minutes per side depending on thickness.

I stick with cuts that have "loin" in the name (tender or sir), as they're leaner and less greezy than anything with "rib."
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
50,816
4,185
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
i prefer to crank the heat high, sear the sides once each (you can rotate it 90 deg if you want some fancy cross-hatching pattern), and keep it bloody in the middle.
I usually sear each side quickly on high heat, then drop the heat and let 'em cook for around 5-8 minutes/side. This assumes the steak is about 1 to 1-1/2 inches thick.
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
50,816
4,185
In a van.... down by the river
gastro said:
<snip>
I stick with cuts that have "loin" in the name (tender or sir), as they're leaner and less greezy than anything with "rib."
I've found that the leaner steaks, whilst good, are not generally as tasty as a well-marbled ribeye. :drool:

Good steak should never be "greasy" though. :think:
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
caboverpete said:
I say flip often... dont give the juice time to come to the surface and evaporate off. When you see the juices begin to bubble to the surface flip and allow those juices to come back through the steak, do this until the steak reaches your prefered doneness.
I understand where you are coming from, but if you properly sear a steak, it should seal in all the juices during cooking. Plus it will form a real nice crust, and flipping more than once while searing interrupts that.
 

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
3,430
0
Charlotte, NC
All great advice...

My favorite rub is a little garlic salt and Cayenne Pepper :drool:


For the quick inexpensive but tasty treat, buy yourself a thin piece of skirt steak. Your favorite rub followed by a quick brush of olive oil. HOT HOT grill sear and flip. Probably 2 minutes per side for Medium rare. Whatever you dont eat makes for a PERFECT sandwich the following day.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
50,816
4,185
In a van.... down by the river
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
All great advice...

My favorite rub is a little garlic salt and Cayenne Pepper :drool:


For the quick inexpensive but tasty treat, buy yourself a thin piece of skirt steak. Your favorite rub followed by a quick brush of olive oil. HOT HOT grill sear and flip. Probably 2 minutes per side for Medium rare. Whatever you dont eat makes for a PERFECT sandwich the following day.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
You know - thinner, cheaper cuts of beef are really good candidates for a sauce. I had a hanger steak a couple weeks ago with a roquefort cream sauce. :drool:

Steak with stinky-cheese cream sauces are :drool: for sure.
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
SkaredShtles said:
You know - thinner, cheaper cuts of beef are really good candidates for a sauce. I had a hanger steak a couple weeks ago with a roquefort cream sauce. :drool:

Steak with stinky-cheese cream sauces are :drool: for sure.
Taking a slab of compound butter w/ Bleu Cheese and melting it over the top of a steak is tastey. At least my girlfriend thinks so.
 

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
9,856
290
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
i prefer to crank the heat high, sear the sides once each (you can rotate it 90 deg if you want some fancy cross-hatching pattern), and keep it bloody in the middle.
Yes!! Black and blue baby, black and blue. Or should I say "bleu"?

The better the steak, the simpler the cooking. (Actually, for me that applies to all food. With quality ingredients I need/want very little other than good cooking technique.) For a steak, salt and pepper should be all you need, but that assumes you have a flavorful, tender piece of meat. Save the marinades for tougher cuts like skirt, flank, etc., and save the aromatics for side dishes. That's how I like it anyway.

And keep your damn blue cheese away from my dinner!! :mumble: :D
 

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,638
26
behind the viewfinder
surefire sauce...

preheat oven to 200F

in a hot pan w/ melted butter, sear filets (S&P beforehand, bonus points fo crushed green peppercorns stuck into the meat), about ~2-3 min per side, depending on thickness and how you like yr meat cooked. transfer the steaks to the oven, while keeping the pan on the burner. reduce heat, throw in some chopped shallots, and fry up (adding a bit more butter). throw in mushrooms too and chopped thyme, until the mushrooms release their moisture. deglaze the pan w/ red wine, and reduce down. when the sauce is thickened, add in a bit of heavy cream.

take the filets out of the oven, top w/ sauce, serve.

:drool:
 

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
3,430
0
Charlotte, NC
Tenchiro said:
Taking a slab of compound butter w/ Bleu Cheese and melting it over the top of a steak is tastey.
okok.... my arteries are getting clogged just from reading that :blah:
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
McGRP01 said:
:nope: Never salt a steak (or any meat) prior to cooking. the salt will draw the juices up and out of the meat.
I don't think that the little bit of salt you would use to flavor food would do much to effect the juiciness of a piece of meat.

But for a side of salmon, I always dry brine it for at least 4 hours before cooking it. While this does draw out the moisture it also breaks down the protiens in the meat making it super tender without being overly salty. (or dry tasting)


EDIT -- Damn, my spelling is atrocious...
 

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
3,430
0
Charlotte, NC
Ya I cant imagine putting a little salt on a steak before you toss it on the grill is gonna draw much juiciness.
 

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
9,844
11
So Cal
Now I want steak for dinner. :drool: I have always tried to adhere to a few things that have worked well for me...

THICK - It's gotta be thick.

Cook slow over low heat turning frequently.

Not much in the way of seasonings. Maybe a little pepper. If I am being crazy I'll drop a little fresh basil on it after I pull it off the heat.

Never done more then medium rare.
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
50,816
4,185
In a van.... down by the river
Ciaran said:
Now I want steak for dinner. :drool: I have always tried to adhere to a few things that have worked well for me...

THICK - It's gotta be thick.

Cook slow over low heat turning frequently.

Not much in the way of seasonings. Maybe a little pepper. If I am being crazy I'll drop a little fresh basil on it after I pull it off the heat.

Never done more then medium rare.
All sounds good. Try searing it, then only turn once. May or may not notice a difference.

Hopefully my wife'll come home from Costco with a couple of these tonight:

 

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
9,856
290
NORCAL is the hizzle
McGRP01 said:
:nope: Never salt a steak (or any meat) prior to cooking. the salt will draw the juices up and out of the meat.
This is a pretty hot topic. I have read support for both. Personally I think salting a steak about 20 or 30 minutes before cooking helps produce a more flavorful crust. I can't remember but there is something about drawing the moisture to the surface to help carmelization.

And if you shouldn't salt meat because it makes it too dry, when then does a salty marinade like teriyaki result in tender and moist meat? Huh? Huh? :p
 

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
433
0
SE TX
SkaredShtles said:
All sounds good. Try searing it, then only turn once. May or may not notice a difference.
There is a LOT of great advice here. To reiterate an earlier post, the better the cut, the less you should handle it in preparation. A nice thick ribeye goes on w/a sprinkle of cajun spices after the first flip, and a second sprinkle on the backside upon removal. A $1.99 sirloin gets hammered, marinated, and covered with spices. Both end up w/great taste and texture.

Yes, searing is good. Have plenty of grill area available. Once 1 side is seared, flip it to a part of the grill you haven't used, so the next side gets just as strong a hit.

I hate to admit concern for presentation, but when grilling steak I like to put a crosshatch on when I have space. I quickly sear a side over max heat, flip it to the other side of the grill to sear, reduce heat and cook for 3 min, flip it back and rotate 90 for a "cross sear" and cook for 3 min, then flip/rotate to the other side for a short, final sear. On a 1" cut, w/my cheap 2-burner gas grill, this is is medium rare, plenty juicy, w/a great looking surface. On a thicker cut, you get both a nice crust and a soft red center.

Know your audience. I've cooked steak for several dozen people over the years, and found a lot of them don't really know what they like. Some of the "well done" crowd have just never had a good medium rare steak. Give 'em what they want, but see if they'll try a heavily-seared ribeye w/a firm pink center, and they might cross the fence. If they want ketchup on the table before the steak arrives, just burn them some sirloin or strip & write 'em off. It doesn't make them bad people, just bad eaters. Same for the ones who avoid fat: don't ever serve these people ribeye. . . something something pearls to swine.

WARNING: If you get good at steak, you'll find it hard to enjoy steak at a lot of the "steak" joints in this world. You'll have to learn to order different foods at these places. There are at least 3 people in my family who can turn out a better steak w/$4 worth of meat than most places can do for $17. More money for beer/wine/scotch :D
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
50,816
4,185
In a van.... down by the river
Fathead said:
<snip>
WARNING: If you get good at steak, you'll find it hard to enjoy steak at a lot of the "steak" joints in this world. You'll have to learn to order different foods at these places. There are at least 3 people in my family who can turn out a better steak w/$4 worth of meat than most places can do for $17. More money for beer/wine/scotch :D
Best advice in the thread! :thumb:
 

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
38,155
4,942
Sleazattle
I'm a cheap bastard, I prefer the taste of a simply prepared nice cut of meat but a lot of times I prefer to cut back my fat intake and save some $$. I like to get very lean cuts of cheap steak. Marinate in in a ziplock for a day. Make sure to have something acidic like lemon juice or vinegar in he marinade, it will help break down and tenderize the meat. Grill to your liking and enjoy. It ends up being healthier and saves money.
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
50,816
4,185
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
I'm a cheap bastard, I prefer the taste of a simply prepared nice cut of meat but a lot of times I prefer to cut back my fat intake and save some $$. I like to get very lean cuts of cheap steak. Marinate in in a ziplock for a day. Make sure to have something acidic like lemon juice or vinegar in he marinade, it will help break down and tenderize the meat. Grill to your liking and enjoy. It ends up being healthier and saves money.
Sounds good.

I'm not gonna give up my NY strip, though. Hell - it's only about $5.50/lb anyway....... cheap for good beef. :thumb:
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
Personally if it came down to eating a chep steak, I would just go with pork or chicken.

Although skirt steak is yummy. (Carne Asada :drool: )
 

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
9,856
290
NORCAL is the hizzle
Damn Fathead, good stuff!! And yeah, it's funny how once you get some decent skills it's harder to find a satisfying restaurant meal. The experience as a whole still has lots to offer but the bar on the food gets raised and it's easy to be disappointed when you are paying restaurant prices, especially out here in SF.
 

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
38,155
4,942
Sleazattle
Tenchiro said:
Personally if it came down to eating a chep steak, I would just go with pork or chicken.

Although skirt steak is yummy. (Carne Asada :drool: )
I usually do stick with chicken. But sometimes I just need to see blood.
 

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
21,695
498
NC
OGRipper said:
And yeah, it's funny how once you get some decent skills it's harder to find a satisfying restaurant meal. The experience as a whole still has lots to offer but the bar on the food gets raised and it's easy to be disappointed when you are paying restaurant prices, especially out here in SF.
Agreed, there. I generally don't order steak at restaurants, since I'm perfectly capable of preparing one that's good if not better in a short period of time for much less money. Steak is an easy food to cook, why would you spend big $$ on it? What I order at restaurants is generally something I'm too lazy or not inclined to prepare for myself.

Back on the original topic, I like a good, thick cut, with a little salt, occasionally a little garlic, seared to medium rare. I can't imagine that salting a steak draws enough moisture out to make a huge difference. The amount of salt you put on a steak won't even absorb a teaspoon of water, and there's a lot more juice than that in a good cut.

Anyone here love steak tips? :drool: I typically marinate them for 24 hours first, but my other favorite is to toss 'em on the grill and cover 'em with cracked pepper as they're cooking. Cooked right, they'll just fall apart under your fork.

I haven't gone looking for a good butcher down here - I had a great one back in New Hampshire.