Quantcast

teach me the ways of the steak

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
OGRipper said:
Damn Fathead, good stuff!! And yeah, it's funny how once you get some decent skills it's harder to find a satisfying restaurant meal. The experience as a whole still has lots to offer but the bar on the food gets raised and it's easy to be disappointed when you are paying restaurant prices, especially out here in SF.
Same here. Although I'm pretty sure you're paying a different level of premium out there in the Bay............

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
Agreed, there. I generally don't order steak at restaurants, since I'm perfectly capable of preparing one that's good if not better in a short period of time for much less money. Steak is an easy food to cook, why would you spend big $$ on it? What I order at restaurants is generally something I'm too lazy or not inclined to prepare for myself.
generally agreed, but some steak houses do boast dry-aged beef which you wouldn't typically find in a butcher shop.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
narlus said:
generally agreed, but some steak houses do boast dry-aged beef which you wouldn't typically find in a butcher shop.
True. I've felt good about a ~$25 steak at Twenty-Twenty-One in Philly, and at Vic&Anthony's in Houston (but you have to order the right cut). At your standard national chain, if I really want steak there, I'll just get the cheapest decent cut, order it rare, and hope they don't eff it up.

BTW, berkie: nothing beats a fire (you should see our camping neighbors crane their necks when we cook ribeyes slow over hickory on the ground), but I've had damn good skillet-prepared steaks at some shops out in the sticks. Specifically, one joint did a ribeye in butter that would almost stop your heart, another hammered a thick sirloin down to about 3/4", and fired it in the skillet w/onions and mushrooms.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
narlus said:
Fathead, try my skillet filet (heh...in ireland that would rhyme) recipe above.
Yah, I saw that . . . It was a yummy read. I don't intend to fry steak until it gets nasty outside, prolly December or January, but I'll give it a shot around then, especially if the ducks don't cooperate.

Over the summer we grilled some medallions then melted some funky herbed French cheese over it. That was yummers.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
This is the best thread ever!

Other than cooking it raw, the only thing I put on a good stake is salt, pepper, garlic, and whole grain mustard.
The whole grain mustard is a little different, but mix the four up, rub a little on, and it makes for a super tasty crust.

Other than that, on cheap steak, for fajitas or something, my favorite is a good ceasar dressing mixed with Trader Joes Taqueria sauce (best salsa for cooking hands down), add poppy seed, salt, pepper, cook, eat.