Quantcast

Teachers packin' in Texas!

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Nope, it's clergymen.

You know what an elementary school must look like to one of them? I'd imagine it's like a hive dripping with honey does to a hungry bear.

All those beautiful little pink assoles all in one place like that...
Damn, Silver, if you could have thrown in Boy Scouts somehow in there, you'd have swept the daily cynical sarcasm trifecta!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
maybe it's just me but I thought teachers were EDUCATORS not enforcers...I mean really if it's that big of a concern...install detectors at all the doorways and hire a security staff...guns in the actual classroom is just a situation waiting to go bad....D
nobody said anything about being enforcers. the ability for a teacher to carry in school is the topic. i would assume that a teacher would first have to be willing to defend the students if the need arose. if a teacher is going to carry concealed in a school it is for the sole purpose of drawing the attention away from an active shooter, student or "terrorist", to try and minimalize the death of innocents that is already occurring.

for instance, and i'll use a scenario similar to a documentary i saw about virginia tech:

teacher is in the lounge taking a break between classes and hears what he believes to be firecrackers going off near the cafeteria. he doesn't seem worried until he sees several students running down the hall screaming about someone shooting in the cafeteria.

Scenario 1: Teacher realizes that the shooter has chained the doors shut and, being unarmed, he tries to rally as many students as he can into his office and then locks it, hoping that the shooter doesn't see the back window which is more than large enough to break and shoot through. The shooter works his way through the school shooting several students in each classroom and then makes his way to the teachers lounge/office area where he finds the huddled students and starts picking them off one by one as the helpless teacher cowers in the corner.
Shooter was allowed to shoot for 6 minutes before police arrived and shot him. he killed 25 students in those 6 minutes.

Scenario 2: Teacher recalls his recent training with the local police on active shooters. he dials 911 to let the dispatcher know what he is wearing so the police don't shoot him as well. He removes the pistol and "go bag" full of several magazines of ammunition and heads down the hall toward the sound of gunfire. The teacher enters a classroom where he hears the gunshots, observes the shooter leaning over a student on the floor. Teacher fires two shots at the shooter, hitting him in the chest. The shooter goes down and is disarmed by the surviving students in the class.
Shooter was allowed to shoot for less than 2 minutes. 6 students died before teacher was able to take him out.

the whole point of having armed teachers is simply to reduce the time an active shooter is allowed to shoot innocent students unchallenged. it is not to make "enforcers" out of teachers; they are simply protecting their flock of students from the wolves.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
just trying to give the basic idea, of course there are a ton of "what if's" but i think you get the point. had just one teacher/administrator been armed at VT, the casualty rate would have likely been much lower.

Monkey
You're making the huge and unwarranted assumption that no teachers are crazy or will ever lose their cool. After all, no one who has ever been in the military ever had mental problems, right?

Schools shootings are so rare that it's stupid to make policy around them.
that' funny, since the school shootings are the reasons why schools became gun-free zones, which didn't legislatively happen until the mid-90s. So evidently policies are already set around the "rare" events and it has become an emotion-gold mine for the "peace activists" who, incidentally, will probably never again be in a school long enough to appreciate its awsomeness in their lifetime.

by the same argument, we don't really need fire extinguishers in schools since the chance of a school burning down is so rare that we best keep the amount of heavy metal cylinders capable of great bodily injury to a minmum by not having them, no?

you are making the assumption that laws will stop the crazy from being, well crazy. That's quite a lot of faith you have in the power of the law.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
by the same argument, we don't really need fire extinguishers in schools since the chance of a school burning down is so rare that we best keep the amount of heavy metal cylinders capable of great bodily injury to a minmum by not having them, no?
Why are gun advocates frequently indistinguishable from retards as soon as you the talk turns to firearms of any kind? Is this is the best analogy you can come up with?

Last edited:

Monkey
Why are gun advocates frequently indistinguishable from retards as soon as you the talk turns to firearms of any kind? Is this is the best analogy you can come up with?
awsome. calling people names just made your case super rational and easy to accept.

any more brain cells that I use to come up with a different analogy will likely to be dismissed with haste, so why should I bother?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
nobody said anything about being enforcers. the ability for a teacher to carry in school is the topic. i would assume that a teacher would first have to be willing to defend the students if the need arose. if a teacher is going to carry concealed in a school it is for the sole purpose of drawing the attention away from an active shooter, student or "terrorist", to try and minimalize the death of innocents that is already occurring.

for instance, and i'll use a scenario similar to a documentary i saw about virginia tech:

teacher is in the lounge taking a break between classes and hears what he believes to be firecrackers going off near the cafeteria. he doesn't seem worried until he sees several students running down the hall screaming about someone shooting in the cafeteria.

Scenario 1: Teacher realizes that the shooter has chained the doors shut and, being unarmed, he tries to rally as many students as he can into his office and then locks it, hoping that the shooter doesn't see the back window which is more than large enough to break and shoot through. The shooter works his way through the school shooting several students in each classroom and then makes his way to the teachers lounge/office area where he finds the huddled students and starts picking them off one by one as the helpless teacher cowers in the corner.
Shooter was allowed to shoot for 6 minutes before police arrived and shot him. he killed 25 students in those 6 minutes.

Scenario 2: Teacher recalls his recent training with the local police on active shooters. he dials 911 to let the dispatcher know what he is wearing so the police don't shoot him as well. He removes the pistol and "go bag" full of several magazines of ammunition and heads down the hall toward the sound of gunfire. The teacher enters a classroom where he hears the gunshots, observes the shooter leaning over a student on the floor. Teacher fires two shots at the shooter, hitting him in the chest. The shooter goes down and is disarmed by the surviving students in the class.
Shooter was allowed to shoot for less than 2 minutes. 6 students died before teacher was able to take him out.

the whole point of having armed teachers is simply to reduce the time an active shooter is allowed to shoot innocent students unchallenged. it is not to make "enforcers" out of teachers; they are simply protecting their flock of students from the wolves.
I was going to argue against this point, but I just read a book about Counter Terrorism in Israel ("Brotherhood of Warriors" by Aaron Cohen. I recommend it).

The teachers there are allowed to carry guns because of the Ma'alot massacre.

Now I don't think armed insurgents are roaming America's streets. But a few individuals could easily kill multiple children before the police arrive.

Do I think Mr. Kotter should carry a handgun? No. But if a few teachers can be trained, sure why not?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
any more brain cells that I use to come up with a different analogy will likely to be dismissed with haste, so why should I bother?
Maybe. But that analogy was utterly retarded and really had no bearing on the topic or the question. If you're not going to use "any more brain cells" to come up with an intelligent analogy, why use any at all only to have your comments totally dismissed since they're not valid?

That is, unless you're so wrapped up in gun propaganda that you honestly see no significant difference between a fire extinguisher and a gun when it comes to levels of danger and potential for ugly situations.

I'm not anti-gun but there is a danger to owning them and handling them and it should be recognized, even by the zealots.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Maybe. But that analogy was utterly retarded and really had no bearing on the topic or the question. If you're not going to use "any more brain cells" to come up with an intelligent analogy, why use any at all only to have your comments totally dismissed since they're not valid?

That is, unless you're so wrapped up in gun propaganda that you honestly see no significant difference between a fire extinguisher and a gun when it comes to levels of danger and potential for ugly situations.

I'm not anti-gun but there is a danger to owning them and handling them and it should be recognized, even by the zealots.

Why do you hate freedom?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
In our local school systems, I'd be happy with teachers and administrators that paid attention to who was coming and going around the school, follow the policies and procedures for checking in visitors and controlling exactly who is allowed on school property and just generally being aware of their surroundings and doing more than just going to work and drawing a paycheck.

Monkey
comparisons are that, comparisons, the subjects of the comparison don't have to be identical in everyway.

I don't see the evil of properly trained teachers that can prevent tragedies from becoming catastrophes. BY comparing a trained-and-carrying teacher to a fire extinguisher, they both serve as possible tools to prepare for rare situations.

Somehow I just became a retarded gun-zealot emersed in gun-propaganda by not making office-water-cooler-talk jokes like everyone else. interesting.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
comparisons are that, comparisons, the subjects of the comparison don't have to be identical in everyway.
No, but they do have to have some kind of reasonable connection to each other. This does not.

BY comparing a trained-and-carrying teacher to a fire extinguisher, they both serve as possible tools to prepare for rare situations.
That wasn't the point, though. There is nothing wrong with preparation for a rare situation. The point, however, was that a civilian with a gun has the potential to kill someone in a moment of anger or fear or high stress, and there are many moments of anger/fear/high stress in school systems, especially school systems in inner cities or poor areas. You responded by stating that fire extinguishers were somehow comparably dangerous because they were heavy :rolleyes:

Somehow I just became a retarded gun-zealot emersed in gun-propaganda
I didn't call you retarded, and I said that IF you believed a fire extinguisher was equally dangerous, then you may be too saturated in gun propaganda to see clearly.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
That wasn't the point, though. There is nothing wrong with preparation for a rare situation. The point, however, was that a civilian with a gun has the potential to kill someone in a moment of anger or fear or high stress, and there are many moments of anger/fear/high stress in school systems, especially school systems in inner cities or poor areas. You responded by stating that fire extinguishers were somehow comparably dangerous because they were heavy :rolleyes:

Ahem....