Quantcast

teaching

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
Hey everyone, I am teaching my girlfriend to ride a bike on trails do you guys have any sugestions to make it any easyer for me to teach her and what I should teach her?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
oscerthegrouch said:
Hey everyone, I am teaching my girlfriend to ride a bike on trails do you guys have any sugestions to make it any easyer for me to teach her and what I should teach her?
Patience (for both of you)! It takes time in the saddle to get better. Also, teach her the basics...how to find a comfortable riding position, when to stand up, brake, shift. It seems obvious, but I don't think my husband really went over this stuff with me and it definately helps. Take baby steps too. Go over braking in several situations (flat/straight trail, downhills, etc.) Also, teach her how to fall. Sounds silly, but crashing isn't always fun and there does seem to be a "science" to crashing without getting hurt.

I host some beginning women rides for my local club and teach my beginning women basic maintenance stuff (adjusting brakes, changing tires, checking tire pressure, seat height and position, fixing chains, lubing chains, etc.). When she's comfortable on the bike, add a few technical elements (rocks, roots, small logs then graduate to bigger logs). Remember, above all...have fun!!!

There is a good video out for women skills. I can't think of the title right off hand, but I will try to find it/remember it and post it up here for you. If you want any more specifics, PM me or have your girlfriend sign-up and chat with us.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Wildflower Mountain Biking by Susan Haywood
http://www.wildflowermtb.com/

Some women learn best by having skills broken down into peices, "why" explained, and then putting it back toghether on the trail in skills sessions. I go to a skills camp run by Cindy Devine, world hall of famer DH champ, every summer primarliy because I am not an intuitive learner, I have to be shown how.

An example might be to teach the neutral position... why... you can be dynamic, active on the bike, your body working with the bike, ability to be ready to move into the decending position etc. Practice on the flats, then move onto the trail. Show "why" you get out of the saddle on a descent. Show her why the saddle is not a butt rest.

Other skills... teach her proper braking, use of the front brake ( modulating, geathering, no grabs) and how to ride a 2x6 board.

Teach looking down the trail, where you want to go.

I have a page on my site that has more stuff like this.
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/penny/biking/ridetips.asp
Also, utahmountainbiking.com ( I think that's it) has good tips.

Good for you for wanting to teach... hope it goes well. Be patient, go out and hammer with your buds if you need to blow off some steam.

geargrrl

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
first off good luck!! i love the fact that i can ride with my wife !!
what I noticed the most was that I was so busy trying to teach her that I became condensending. I would tell her (or at least try to) everything I learned, even the small stuff that was common sense. this made her mad. so i decided to let her just learn as we go and if she had any questions she would ask instead of me lecturing. I would wait for her at every intersection and keep going from there. she learned quickly and now we just go out and ride :heart:

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
.... I was going to send you to Formica on the MTBR site....

but apparently she's here!
:thumb:

Geargrrl:
I have read your site, and am more conscientious (sp?) of being out of my saddle. One small step for me..........a giant leap for my biking enjoyment.

Keep up the good work!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
if i were you i would have someone else teach her. i have found that it always goes better that way. once she has the basics you can fine tune things.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
MudGrrl said:
.... I was going to send you to Formica on the MTBR site....

but apparently she's here!
:thumb:

Geargrrl:
I have read your site, and am more conscientious (sp?) of being out of my saddle. One small step for me..........a giant leap for my biking enjoyment.

Keep up the good work!
LOL, the woman of 1000 names. The only reason I know anything at all is that I believe in getting coached, and in keeping on learning. Any monkey-girls going to www.devineride.com women's camp in Rossland in June? I do not want to be the solo american this year...

geargrrl

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
I've been an instructor at Big Bear's Women's Only Weekend for the past 6 years or thereabouts...and each year when I teach I need to stop and remember what it's like to be a beginner. We lose touch so quickly! :)

Anyhow, when we do beginner clinics, each student goes through a series of "stations" where they spend about a hour working on one skill...cornering/braking, climbing/shifting, descending, and a super-basic obstacle course. The instructors demonstrate, and then each student in the group does the exercise over and over again. Women do learn differently then men...while men have the "you just do it" mentality, women tend to learn by watching others and repeating what they see.

Geargrrl brought up some really good points about the "why" factor...why you don't want to lock your brakes up, why you want to keep your knees bent, why you want to keep you butt off the saddle while descending, and why forward momentum is your friend...explaining why and showing her how are very important.

Keep in mind that she may not be as fit as you and might get tired easily. I would keep sessions short and fun in the beginning. Don't overwhelm her by taking her on a trail over her head. And whatever you do...don't drop her on the trail! She more than likely wants and needs the security and encouragement of your presence.

Have fun! I think it's so cool that you're taking the time to teach her! Hopefully she'll become as hooked on it as we are all here. If you (or your girlfriend) need any more advice, let us know! We're all happy to help and stoked to see another girl get into riding! :)

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
Thanks alot =) I will be taking her to the easyest trail here saturday and hopfuly I can get her hooked so I have a new riding buddy. I will also let you guys know how it goes after we get back. Thanks again for the help I just dont get how women think on these things, or anything for that matter.

Special K

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
CT by way of Beantown
hooples3 said:
first off good luck!! i love the fact that i can ride with my wife !!
what I noticed the most was that I was so busy trying to teach her that I became condensending. I would tell her (or at least try to) everything I learned, even the small stuff that was common sense. this made her mad. so i decided to let her just learn as we go and if she had any questions she would ask instead of me lecturing. I would wait for her at every intersection and keep going from there. she learned quickly and now we just go out and ride :heart:
I totally agree -- to let her learn at her own pace and when she has a question, she will ask you.... My boyfriend had a few years advantage over me in terms of my riding ability. I loved that he would help me, but at the same time, I wished at times he would just let me ride and figure it out. It is key to talk after a really technical section... I learned much more from listening to him when we stopped, then when we were riding.
Praise her for the little things too -- It meant a lot to me that even when I hit a tiny drop off, my bf was super proud.
Also -- get the book "mastering mountain bike skills" by Brian Lopes and Lee McCormack -- really great!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
oscerthegrouch said:
Thanks alot =) I will be taking her to the easyest trail here saturday and hopfuly I can get her hooked so I have a new riding buddy. I will also let you guys know how it goes after we get back. Thanks again for the help I just dont get how women think on these things, or anything for that matter.
So, how did it go?

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
It went well for the first time out on the trail.... she had fun and we are going to go out next weekend and do a little more... teaching her is slow shes scared of downhills and rooted sections but she blows past me going up hill and she like that so next time gonna work on going downhill and rooted sections. I wish i brought my camera so i could post pics but i forgot that.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
oscerthegrouch said:
It went well for the first time out on the trail.... she had fun and we are going to go out next weekend and do a little more... teaching her is slow shes scared of downhills and rooted sections but she blows past me going up hill and she like that so next time gonna work on going downhill and rooted sections. I wish i brought my camera so i could post pics but i forgot that.
:thumb: AWESOME! Definately take some pics and keep on encouraging her.

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
oscerthegrouch said:
Very cool! As long as she had fun, that's all that matters. If she's enjoying herself, the fear will disappear eventually. We all were there at one point...

Keep us posted on her progress! And please do post some pics! :)

K2Crazy

Chimp
May 4, 2005
Suggestions, big things that helped me a lot….

1) Balance, explain why its best to “cruise” with flat pedals. Center of gravity is best when you’re up off the bike on 2 pedals. Show her how to move around the saddle to change your center of gravity and balance the bike through various angles of terrain. Also note that if you are cruising with a pedal down, the likelihood of hitting a high root/rock increases your chances of a fall/crash.
2) Even braking…both rear/front. Have her practice track stands, balance increases quickly.
3) Getting back off the seat on the downhills and unweighting the handlebars when climbing and going up hill doing an obstacle.
4) Climbing tips, we call is “boobs to the bars”, pull elbows in and down to bring the all the power to the pedals and maintain a steady pressure (to relieve the wobbly front wheel) so as not to waste energy. Climbing is not always seated, sometimes up off the seat, leaning more towards the handlebars and hovering over the seat.
5) Look at least 10 feet forward when you’re riding to scan what’s coming up, not worrying about what you’re going over so that you can pre-plan your route.
6) Don’t look at what you’re trying to avoid, if you stare at the rock/tree, your body position automatically shifts enough to weight the bike/steering to go right at what you’re looking at. If you want to miss it, look away from it.
7) Switchbacks, look around the switchback at where you want to go, not at where you currently are. Again, shifts your body position enough to get where you need to be.

Like previous comments, be patient, don’t expect immediate results, expect to hang out practicing trackstands or depending on how brave she is, maybe spot her over logs in the beginning. But if she feels rushed, it will be harder for her to learn b/c she’ll be so worried about keeping up she won’t be able to focus on the skills that will help her get better quicker.  Good luck!

Susan
Seattle-LUNA Chix

Apr 19, 2005
Rochester, NY
well I was in her shoes not too long ago when my friend mike said he'd go road biking if I went mtn biking. Try to be constructive and give compliments/praise when she's doing things right. Also, try to explain why you do things a certain way, but then have her explain it back to you, so you know she understands. Mike was pretty good at helping me learn stuff, but he didn't baby me and let me ask questions and get help when needed, but didn't force it on me. And remind her how long it took you to learn certain skills... that's been hardest for me... taking time to learn things without getting overwhelmed and trying way too much way too soon.

Good luck.