Quantcast

Team Alaina Sage at Sea Otter.....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Hello All!!

Well, just thought I'd put in a bit of a briefing on Thursday's epic ride at Sea Otter.

When I arrived Wednesday, I thought I was going to be in trouble, since it was windy like all get-out. Luckily, Thursday morning was calm and clear. About 100+/- riders lined up, with Gary Fisher, Tinker Juarez, and Marla Streb joining the group. We were off. There was a bit of a course marking hiccup at about the 2-mile mark, yet after that got cleared, it was pretty dang fun.

The course was about 54 miles. A good amount of single track, some paved roads, jeep/service roads, and 4 feed stations. These were much needed, though I tried to be cool and tough it out by riding past the first 2. Took advantage of stations 3 and 4. Passed a herd of sheep getting sheared, which was pretty cool. About the first 1/3 of the course was good trail, then the remainder wreaked havoc on my drive train. Water/mud bogs, followed by sand pits, left that noticeable sand paper grind on chain/rings/cogs. Oh well, that's part of riding. There was one hill that was so deep with sand, it was only walkable. If Tinker and company rode it, I was too far back to see.

I figured with all the climbing, I'd eventually see the Pacific Ocean. Well, about 40 miles into the ride, I saw it. Man, did I want to jump in right then. With about 3 miles to go, my legs gave out. I just couldn't pedal any more. But soon I heard the announcer and saw the back of the slalom gates, and got a bit of strength. Finished the ride, changed, went to the venue to see/thank my sponsors, and got some much-needed drink/food.

For those of you that don't know my situation, I was riding in honor of my 4-year-old daughter, Alaina. She loved it when we'd go to watch brother race, and would always ask, "When are we going to see the otters"? With the wild flowers and butterflies I saw while riding, I know she was with me. Oh, and when I picked up my number plate, it was "4" (really, no kidding), which is the same model Cake I bought, the day Alaina went to Heaven, and how old she was when she went. Too coincidental?? I'll see when I'm with her and can ask her.

Shawn
Team Alaina Sage-- riding in honor of our daughter

p.s. No, I didn't ride with her seat on, as I built my new Cake 4 a couple of days earlier. I even met Gary Fisher prior to riding, and was able to fill him in on all the symbolism as to why I chose the bike. Ask me, if you'd like, and I'll tell you, too.