Quantcast

Team Announcement - Playbiker & Geoff Ulmer

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Just saw this:

PLAYBIKER – IRON HORSE NEWS 0802

NATHAN RANKIN ON PLAYBIKER – IRON HORSE FOR 2008, ALONG WITH MIKE SKINNER AND GEOFF ULMER

Kiwis and Stars and Stripes, this could be the best way to sum up the latest addition to Playbiker – Iron Horse’s 2008 roster, which includes two riders from New Zealand and one from the USA, making the team a truly global sensation.

The first name, which will sound familiar to many, is that of Nathan Rankin, 28 years old, from Levin, New Zealand, already widely known on the World Cup circuit and also in Europe: his 2008 has started strong, with his victory in the South Island Cup in New Zealand, which reaffirmed his excellent condition and skills. His impressive experience in the racing world will find a powerful outlet while being placed in an international team like Playbiker – Iron Horse, and at the same time it will be very useful as a guide for the younger riders in the team. Nathan is a true expert of the international downhill scene and he has won the New Zealand national series for four years in a row: an experienced rider, who year by year has always found new reasons to go even faster. And his best season is yet to come.

Geoff Ulmer, 17 years old, out of Troy (New York). US National Champion in his age class, Geoff earned the national team’s jersey and a hopefully a ticket to the Worlds in Val di Sole, thanks to his great results in the past season and top level racing schedule for 2008, which includes most of the World Cup series. He’s the only junior rider in the USA who has been automatically advanced to “Pro” class by USA Cycling. Geff has trained at Plattekill Mountain since he started riding.

Completing the team comes Mike Skinner, 20 years old, from Auckland, New Zealand. Mike has already spent several seasons in Europe and is a common name in the high ranks of World Cup finals. His trademark style has earned him a video part in the European production “Re-Focus”.

Nathank Rankin: “After having spent last season in Europe and having raced a lot in Italy I am really happy to be with the sole international team based in Italy, this will put me in the best possible condition to tackle the next racing season while concentrating only on what counts more, the race results. Being part of such a big and well organized team is a big advantage for any rider, specially for somebody who, like me, has to move to Europe for the whole season.”
Team manager Romano Favoino: “These three riders are an excellent addition to our team’s roster. Nathan is a guarantee, his name is always high in the rankings and with his experience and knowledge he will be an excellent guide for the younger riders. We have followed his results in the early season races in New Zealand with great attention, and we are sure he’s going to have a great season. Mike is the quintessential young kiwi racer, all facts and no talk: last season we had the chance to know him well since he was often over in Italy and we are happy to support him in 2008, allowing him to fulfill his full potential. Finally I am really proud to have a rider from the USA in our team: Geoff is as fast as much as he is enthusiastic for the new experience he is about to live. I am sure he will make the most out of his first big chance on the international scene, keep an eye on him!”.

Here is the full roster for team Playbiker – Iron Horse in 2008: Floriane Pugin, Adam Brayton, Nathan Rankin, Geoff Ulmer, Mike Skinner, Elisa Canepa, Lorenzo Suding, Luca Bertocchi, Matthias Stonig. Nine riders coming from six different countries on three continents, a truly global team. Taking care of the team’s riders, along with team manager Romano Favoino and road manager Simon Cittati, will be mechanic Tiziano Mammana, who, after his first season with the team, has also been selected as a mechanic for the Italian National downhill team.

Playbiker – Iron Horse has already confirmed its partnership with the prestigious companies with whom it had already worked last season: Iron Horse Bicycles, e.thirteen components, Formula brakes, Kenda, Funn and RMS Component Selection. The other sponsors will be announced shortly, but the newest additions include A-Class Wheels and Alex Rims, SRAM, Rock Shox, UFO Plast and Insight Productions.

Information and contacts:
Simon Cittati
Road Manager
Web: ironhorsebikes.it
myspace.com/playbiker

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
THIS is how Americans will get back into the World Cup mix!! Start em young in Europe!

-ska todd

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I've been trying not to spill the beans on this for a few months now. I was psyched to hear someone was interested in supporting young American riders like Geoff who show a ton of potential. He's young, has a ton of potential, and has a great attitude.

Investing in promising young riders, not necessarily just results, is what small teams should be doing. No doubt the results will come later. Just ask Steve Peat. . .

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Shucks, you all beat me to it too.

Major stokage from your fans in Utah! Shred it Geoff!!!

George it looks like quite a few of us on here are owed a few Labatt's for keeping our big mouths shut. LOL! I'll be at the 'kill around opening weekend to collect.

BRING BACK VICIOUSDHER!!!!

...Pretty sure I just used up my exlamation point rations for the month. hehe... The Ulmers are worth it.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
We all kept quiet cause we knew George would beat us with his crutches if we leaked the news.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
LOL!! ...actually...not so funny to think he might still be on those things. :( Heal for real this time George. ...Or do we need to start calling you Georgio. Bwaha.

Not sure if you east coasters know this but there's another young whipper snapper named Ulmer here in Utah. Pretty serious ripper as well. But get this...his dad's name is also George. True story. There's a magazine feature brewing in there somewhere.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Who's that insanely fast 14 year old kid Niko riding for?

I mean, top 5 in Pro class at Snowshoe on a 7 inch air sprung Rocky RMX?? I call that a factory rider all the way...if you can keep those 2 little giggle girls from draining his "focus & energy"....

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Who's that insanely fast 14 year old kid Niko riding for?

I mean, top 5 in Pro class at Snowshoe on a 7 inch air sprung Rocky RMX?? I call that a factory rider all the way...if you can keep those 2 little giggle girls from draining his "focus & energy"....
He's going to need to wait a few more years. Fast as he might be he's too young to enter a world cup race. The kid has skills though, that's for sure.

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
Siiick Geoff. Go tear it up.. And props to pops for raising such a speedy young lad.

Im kind of disappointed that he is leaving Rotec too. I think that they are superior bikes to the IH but I don't think that Rotec could offer him the same opportunity.

Ok here comes the Sam Hill fan boys i can hear them now.
yeah, my thoughts exactly.... i dont know how he took up the sponsorship and his thoughts on it, but yeah, i understand how IH is a MUCH MUCH larger company and can more than easily afford to send him all over the world... i get it...

as for me, well Rotec is my first support/sponsor, i love the company, the bike is amazing over any other bike i've ever ridden, and Sully is the coolest guy ever, so i imagine once i can get a friggin car and start representing Rotec in actual races over pics and vids that i will stay with it for as long as i possibly can!

but good for him! he can go and shred to the top! i'm sure he will, but the Champs still have some more years kicking within them! good competitions, i love to hear of a bunch of awesome riders battling it out for the top!

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
from geoffulmer.com

In 2008 I’ll be racing for Playbiker-Ironhorse, an Italian UCI registered trade team. This is a huge step up and I will try my best to take advantage of this opportunity. I realize Playbiker and Ironhorse are taking a risk supporting a junior at this level, so I do feel some pressure to perform but either way I do have another year at the junior level to use the experience from this year.

I’ve been training hard this winter and leave for Italy, April 26th. After a Bike Fest at Lake Garda, where I’ll be representing Kenda tires, my race season will start with a “test” race on the world championship course in Val-di-Sole, Italy. I’ll also be able to hit the first two rounds of the Italian National Circuit, the first three rounds of the World Cup, in Malibor, Vallnord and Fort William. After that I hope to be chosen to represent the United States at the World Championships in Italy. Since I won’t be able to race at either automatic qualifier to the USAC World’s team, I hope my international results are good enough to be chosen at large. I realize this is a gamble however I cannot afford to be traveling back and forth to Europe. I’ll be arriving home the first week in July, racing at Plattekill, the NMBS at Windham Mountain and the National Championships at Mount Snow before heading up to Canada for the World Cups in Mte. St. Anne and Bromont.

After that if my results and standings in the World Cups are good, I’ll go to Australia and Austria. If not I’ll stay home and finish the season with Plattekill, Mount Snow and Gravity East races.

While in Italy, I’ll be staying and training with the Playbiker-Ironhorse team. We will be riding every day on some of the best trails anywhere. I think my years of riding at Plattekill Mountain are going to be paying off.

Special thanks to Todd Seplevy and Playbiker-Ironhorse's sponsors which of course include of course Iron Horse Bicycles, e.thirteen components, Formula brakes, Kenda, Funn and RMS Component Selection, A-Class Wheels, Alex Rims, SRAM, Rock Shox, UFO Plast and Insight Productions.

Finally I’d like to thank all who have helped me in my racing career, past sponsors who took a chance on a 14 year old include Azonic, 661, ODI, Magura, SDG, Sun-Ringle, Maxxis, Hopey and especially ROTEC Cycles. I will have a couple of personal sponsors, who will be named soon in addition to the ones from The Playbiker-Ironhorse Team.

Geoff

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
yea Geoff!!!!!! congrats man! that's some awesome news!

I wonder how Will C is gonna react to this one :D
Oh I've known and been keeping my big 'ol mouth shut. Big opportunity for Geoff. We've been good racing buddies for the past few years and I'm stoked to see him make it big time.
I'll never forget when he told me at Plattekill it would be me and him at Worlds someday and this is the year. Soon enough! I'm expecting to get the inside tip on some of the sneaky Italian lines :D

(now I just gotta get there!)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh I've known and been keeping my big 'ol mouth shut. Big opportunity for Geoff. We've been good racing buddies for the past few years and I'm stoked to see him make it big time.
I'll never forget when he told me at Plattekill it would be me and him at Worlds someday and this is the year. Soon enough! I'm expecting to get the inside tip on some of the sneaky Italian lines :D

(now I just gotta get there!)
Will you know i'm just raggin' on ya!

Yinz two are fast as hell, and I'm pumped to see that the US is going to be represented by 2 of the nicest kids in the race scene. Mad props yo :thumb: