Quantcast

Team Dakar Usa Storms Back!

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Ok, I have been following this deal pretty close. I have to root for Robby Gorden only because he is on a low budget with a self built car. Only has a 12 person crew and no T4 chase truck in the race. He turned down a $400K offer from VW to do his own thing. Built his car in less the 90 days right here in Anaheim, CA. I saw him out testing it at Parker, AZ and the thing looked wicked fast.

Compared to VW's 100 million dollar budget and 6 car team he should have no chance at all. BTW, USA's Mark Miller is driving one of those VW cars and is looking good for an overall win.

Mitsubishi has dominated this race for a long time. But they built the planes that shot bullits at my grandpappy so there is no way I can root for them. lol And I like to root for the underdog. Just the thought of Gorden being the underdog in any off road race is funny. But in this race he really is a major underdog.

Enough of that, here is the latest scoop on Team USA Dakar.

"TEAM DAKAR USA STORMS BACK

GORDON HUMMER MAKES INCREDIBLE RECOVERY ON DAY 5 OF DAKAR

American Racer Robby Gordon’s “never give up” philosophy pays off in stage 5 run from Quarzatate to Tan Tan Morocco.

After three brilliant days on the Dakar Rally, Robby Gordon and navigator Darren Skilton had moved their specially built “Dakar Hummer H3” from a 35th starting position in Lisbon Portugal to fifth in Er Richidia, Morroco. On day four, from Er Richidia to Quarzazate, Gordon had the Hummer in contention for the overall win when a small bolt in the transmission failed, almost putting the Hummer completely out of the race. Only Gordon’s skill as a mechanic saved the moment as he had to repeatedly climb under the car and disassemble one of the transmission’s halfshafts to reattach the failing component. He did this six times in the desert finally completing the timed stage just two minutes from being disqualified for being past the allowed time. Then he had to limp over a hundred miles back to the liaison finish line to officially complete the fourth day of competition. Gordon arrived at 10:30 in the evening. This is when Gordon’s ace six-man crew went into action. The transmission was replaced with a new one, but the failing part had to be “re-engineered” so it wouldn’t fail again. The solution was simply to weld the suspect bolt into position so it couldn’t move. After an all-night thrash the Hummer was ready to run just as dawn was breaking over the Atlas Mountains in the far distance.

Gordon’s last finishing place from the night before relegated the team to 120th on the morning’s starting grid. “Through no fault of our own we went from the lead to so far back we could barely see the lead cars when they left the starting line. This was a real set back as this was the stage (from Quarzazate to Tan Tan) that Robby and I really felt we could win,” said Skilton after the finish.

Nevertheless Gordon moved from 120th up to 45th. “There was incredible dust on this leg, as we were far enough into the race where the cars are now combined with the trucks in overall finishing order, so that determines the start order for the next day,” said Skliton “If we’d started in front we could have made excellent time but we had to drive smart, taking no chances. We know this race has just begun. There are thousands of miles yet to cover across the roughest part of Africa. Robby passed some 70 cars before we began smelling oil. Not knowing the cause we had to stop and try to solve the problem but we could only determine the reservoir was low, so we topped up and cruised in to Tan Tan. The Hummer seems to be running fine, but we won’t know the source of the leak for sure until the crew gets on it.”

To make things even more interesting, officials have determined day six will be a “marathon leg” so the morning’s start time will come before dawn. The crew, having had to drive straight through from Quarzazate; leaving just as the car was finished, has had little sleep and is now working on the car to get it ready for the early morning start.

The good news? Gordon’s good finish today has moved the Hummer team back up the starting order, into contention for a top-10 overall finish. We’ll know more by tomorrow evening."

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Here's Paris Dakar for you....

http://www.bike-dreams.com/

The first edition of this unique adventure starts Sunday September 10th, 2006 at the base of the Eiffel Tower. Ten weeks later, and 7.000 kilometres ( 4.350 miles ) further, you arrive with a great feeling of satisfaction on November 18th in Dakar.
The kilometres, mostly paved, you cover with your own strength and in a speed you prefer. You can compete with the other participants and try to cover the distance as fast as possible, or you can choose to enjoy yourself thoroughly of the beauty of the European and African landscape. You decide by yourself.

Paris-Dakar is more than just a “normal” bike ride. It’s a combination of the physical challenge, the appreciation of the natural beauty, the view of the cultural inheritance and above all a mental freedom. Next to that, the bike journey is open for cyclists from all around the world to create an exceptional atmosphere, during as well as after the bike ride.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Yeah Robby's a jerk no doubt.

BTW, he didn't "turn down" an offer from VW this year, he was never offered one after he was such a jerk (I would love to use a much stronger curse word there) to his teamates who were in the lead.......he actually threw a tantrum on the side of the road when he had to stop and help his teamate.

I'm rooting for Mark Miller and the VW's..........

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Oh I know all about Robby and how he can be. He has always been nice to me but that is only because I run a race boat pretty much like one he had a few years ago. He saw me running the Parker Stip and flaged me down to take a look. I'm sure if it was the other way around he would have not giving me the time of day.

But yes, for 99% to know him is to not like him. But.......he does very well most of the time in the dirt. Pretty much he wins or breaks the truck.

Andy, he won the last Baja 500 in the Trophy Truck class.
To bad he can't run a Trophy Truck in this race. Pretty much his "Hummer" is a Class 1 buggy with a carbon fiber Hummer body on it. We saw him testing at Parker in a sand wash by Badnocks and he had to have been running 130+ like it was no big deal.

I know he's an A hole but his shop is only a few blocks away from mine and I'm hoping he gets a good finish.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Andyman_1970 said:

BTW, he didn't "turn down" an offer from VW this year, he was never offered one after he was such a jerk (I would love to use a much stronger curse word there) to his teamates who were in the lead.......he actually threw a tantrum on the side of the road when he had to stop and help his teamate.

I was curious about that. Won the first stage and completed the Rally(I believe), but does not get picked up again by VW?

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Andyman_1970 said:

I don't blame him really for that one. He had to take parts off his car to fix for Jutta's, fixed hers, and had to follow her as a mule buddy/mechanic. Who wouldn't have been just a tad upset?

I got the "he turned VW down" info from here. http://www.flyhiflylo.blogspot.com/
But I do understand that is a very pro Gorden site so I'll take that with a grain of salt I guess.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
spookydave said:
Who wouldn't have been just a tad upset?
Since she's actually won the event and that was his first year racing in it no I wouldn't have been upset if I was him, I'd count my self lucky to have raced such a demanding race.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Well I know myself and every driver I've ever met would not like to take a back seat to anyone no matter who it is. Maybe that's why he is doing his own thing instead of being on someone else's team.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Update::

"An 11th place finish in the sixth stage of the 15 stage Dakar Rally has once again vaulted Team Dakar USA up in the overall classification. Gordon, who was as high as eight in the overall standings after stage three, dropped to 69th after suffering a transmission problem in stage four. Since then the duo of Gordon and Skilton have logged two stong stages and are working their way back to the top-10. Beginning the day, Gordon was in the 45th position. After today the No. 335 Hummer H3 is now four hours and 28 minutes back of the lead car of Giniel De Villiers."

Miller finshed 10th also!! :D

Oh, Gorden is now 27th overall. I'd say that's pretty smokin seeing as he finished one stage DEAD LAST!

Look out Euros, the So Cal, Parker / Glamis crew is charging to the front. :D (I prolly just jinxed him)