Quantcast

Team Rumourz

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
yup. wonder what, if any, impact this has with his SC sponsorship (that's still a thing, no?) and him trying to race WC's
He seems pretty happy with the xxl v10 for the moment, if he's really lucky he might get the Minnaar extended chainstays.

Get the same Genio guys who made PB's monstrosity to make him a properly sized bike instead?
Yeah I just meant for doing the group test stuff, he can find bikes he's happy with but getting that many xxl bikes together wouldn't be easy, some don't even make that size.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
He seems pretty happy with the xxl v10 for the moment, if he's really lucky he might get the Minnaar extended chainstays.

Yeah I just meant for doing the group test stuff, he can find bikes he's happy with but getting that many xxl bikes together wouldn't be easy, some don't even make that size.

Is the "XXL" like a 490 reach? Hell Kiran has to be about 6'3" and I always messed with him about the bikes being small. He would just laugh. Hopefully, that thing is 500-515....

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Is the "XXL" like a 490 reach? Hell Kiran has to be about 6'3" and I always messed with him about the bikes being small. He would just laugh. Hopefully, that thing is 500-515....
I would tend to agree that the xxl is probably smaller than ideal but he seems happpy with it. Happy enough to race on anyway.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
GT don't have a great record with riders recently... Sam Dale, Brook Macdonald and George Brannigan all struggled on their rigs. Hopefully Johannes gets a better ride out of it

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
GT don't have a great record with riders recently... Sam Dale, Brook Macdonald and George Brannigan all struggled on their rigs. Hopefully Johannes gets a better ride out of it
didn't Maes get second at 2018 worlds on a GT right after winning a round? and at least one EWS round the same year?

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Truth
It is amazing that the same bike that was winning world cups for Gee just a few years prior could be so subpar. Even former GT riders have come out and said so straight up. (which is very rare)
The new GT looks to be alot more up to date, pretty amazing how DH rigs just keep getting better and better.
Bruni and Pierron are at the very top of the game 100%.
It would be interesting to put them on say a 2018 GT Fury for a few races. My money says they would still be top 20 but not on the podium?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
didn't Maes get second at 2018 worlds on a GT right after winning a round? and at least one EWS round the same year?
And Wyn was struggling to qualify in a bunch of races...I think Maes is just a beast. Put him on a '98 KHS and he'll probably get a top 40

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
GT is one of those brands that I've still not ever seen on any trail.
There's quite a few of them around where I live, the Norwegian importer is in my town. From what I can see, the Sanction was a better enduro-bike than the concurrent Fury was as a DH bike. Both Maes and Wyn did very well on that thing.

The new Fury does look like a monster though, anybody in here got some time on it?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The new GT is pretty legit. I think it was their old ones which were hopeless. They seemed to spend so long trying to invent the next bike thing with I-Drive and a bunch of weird proto rigs etc, and eventually just went to a simple design with good geo and look at the results it has gotten them.

Johannes will probably benefit mostly from having some tech support and a crew around him. Getting his results as a privateer was impressive.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Would be cool to see a modern day carbon 303 WC, I know they could build a sick switch infinity DH rig. Unfortunately they don't give 2 shits about DH Racing anymore.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Would be cool to see a modern day carbon 303 WC, I know they could build a sick switch infinity DH rig. Unfortunately they don't give 2 shits about DH Racing anymore.
The sliders were a maintenance nightmare. If anything it'd be the SB200.

And don't forget, Richie was jr world champ. He could easily jump back into the WC field.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
that AS-X was a beast as I recall.
A friend had one while I had an Uzzi VPX, both with Sherman forks. That bike was so sketchy coming from the VPX it was not even funny. Sky high BB, even shorter feeling TT, steeper and a super flexy swingarm. I seem to recall that he broke that swing link thingy multiple times as well. Even at the time there were way better options.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I never see GT bikes in the trails, though the brand was founded 30 miles away. Global capitalism is weird.

But I’m thankful, as they look godawful.

I’d assumed they were only sold in Euro.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
that AS-X was a beast as I recall.

Yeti is still cool. Times change. You can't fault anyone for following the market.
Geometry on that bike kinda sucked. I bought it to run 7" FR / 7" RR, but setup like that the BB was way too high and the front end way to steep. It felt best running the rear in 6" mode. Pedal kickback was terrible in granny.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Geometry on that bike kinda sucked. I bought it to run 7" FR / 7" RR, but setup like that the BB was way too high and the front end way to steep. It felt best running the rear in 6" mode. Pedal kickback was terrible in granny.
It came out in 2003, everything sucked in 2003. Steep HTA and a high BB was par for the course, anything under 70 degrees was "slack" back then, but at least it had a 1.5" head tube unlike my Foes Fly so you could run a sub 900lb single-crown. Not that it mattered, back then we were all just happy to be on something that wasn't a 70mm travel Y-frame.

The sliders were a maintenance nightmare. If anything it'd be the SB200.
I doubt anybody who looks back fondly on the rails actually had to live with them. Great concept, and fine for a dedicated DH bike that gets serviced more than ridden, but good god those were a PITA. I doubt we'll see an SB200, but agree that if by some chance we do see a new Yeti DH bike, it'll have some form of the Fox mini slider thing.

Signing Boggs seemed very last minute, more of an "Oh shit, we could have a Rampage rider that cheap? I guess maybe send him a frame or something"

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
It came out in 2003, everything sucked in 2003. Steep HTA and a high BB was par for the course, anything under 70 degrees was "slack" back then, but at least it had a 1.5" head tube unlike my Foes Fly so you could run a sub 900lb single-crown. Not that it mattered, back then we were all just happy to be on something that wasn't a 70mm travel Y-frame.
Meh... the Titus Quasimoto I had before it and the Giant Reign X I had after it both had better handling geometry.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are