Quantcast

Team Rumourz

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
There's quite a few of them around where I live, the Norwegian importer is in my town. From what I can see, the Sanction was a better enduro-bike than the concurrent Fury was as a DH bike. Both Maes and Wyn did very well on that thing.

The new Fury does look like a monster though, anybody in here got some time on it?
I don't know, it's pretty hard to argue that a bike is bad when Rachel dominated on it and Gee won the world champs. That being said, multiple people have said the rear end was too linear, so I'm guessing that as DH bikes reached their peak with big wheels and dialed geometry, the furies couldn't quite keep up. I've always liked my bike though (2014 fury)- geometry is dialed but I'm a hack so I don't mind the linear rear end as much. Ska todd nailed geometry and stiffness, and made the idrive do so little that it didn't feel like it was there.

New ones are pretty generic, but I think that's OK.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
I don't know, it's pretty hard to argue that a bike is bad when Rachel dominated on it and Gee won the world champs. That being said, multiple people have said the rear end was too linear, so I'm guessing that as DH bikes reached their peak with big wheels and dialed geometry, the furies couldn't quite keep up. I've always liked my bike though (2014 fury)- geometry is dialed but I'm a hack so I don't mind the linear rear end as much. Ska todd nailed geometry and stiffness, and made the idrive do so little that it didn't feel like it was there.

New ones are pretty generic, but I think that's OK.
In fairness to the fury, You could take any of the Top DH Racers bikes from 6 years ago and compare them to what they are racing now, it would be a night and day timewise.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You could take any of the Top DH Racers bikes from 6 years ago and compare them to what they are racing now, it would be a night and day timewise.
I'm honestly not so sure times'd be all that different

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Most mountain bikers are very quick to say that all roadies are dopers and the sport is a joke, but when one of the best mountain bikers gets caught most seem pretty quick to forgive.
The guy was cheating, there is a chance he was doing it by accident but he was cheating and it really doesn't seem like there have been any negative consequences.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Most mountain bikers are very quick to say that all roadies are dopers and the sport is a joke, but when one of the best mountain bikers gets caught most seem pretty quick to forgive.
The guy was cheating, there is a chance he was doing it by accident but he was cheating and it really doesn't seem like there have been any negative consequences.
ummm...it's ENDURO. despite what the industry might have you believe, NO ONE REALLY CARES.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Fuck this conversation.
First of all, he survived a brain tumor, and everyone was "you've got this Jared, fuck cancer, you'll be back on the bike in no time!" during his illness.
Now he survived this devastating desease (for now!) and gets the chance to still do what he loves to do again and now people are giving him shit for that.
Hypocrisy at its best.
He is one of the best and most decorated mountainbike riders ever. He put Yeti over a long time on podiums in 4X, BMX, DH and enduro. If they want to get him a budget and a bike, by any means, they have every right to do so.

Also: This guys are on the limit, not only on their bike, but also regarding nutrition, training and supplements. They use, what is allowed to use. He and Rude were caught because they were above that limit. Was that wrong? Yes, but we aren't in the right place (deskchair) to judge this. I mean they didn't do EPO or blood injections or stuff like that. They were positive for a substance that easily can be bought in the next supplement store.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
The words from Jared himself on his pinkbike account:

'Ok,I'll try and clear a few things up, NO BS, just facts, hope it can help. The supplemnet in question in this case is BPM labs "the one" which if you want to look it up. Now states Higenamine in the ingredients list, but in older versions, and in the tub in this case was listed as Nandina Domestica (fruit extract) and the oxilofrine component is still labelled as Synephrine HCL. Things get tricky when you type these ingredients into the WADA search and not a single result comes up, which tells you everything is OK. So we had to dive a bit deeper into finding out how these things got in our systems, and when we did, we found of that many ingredients have many different variations, and names, which is what has caught us out. We also found out since learning the hard way, just how prevalent these ingredients are in off the shelf pre workout drinks, which is a bit scary when you first hand find out the consequences, and how unregulated products with these ingredients are. Even a teenager could walk in to a supplement store and buy this, no questions asked. I've also since learned that 1 in 5 off the shelf pre workout drinks (in Australia at least) have something banned in them. Everything i've mentioned above had to be proven beyond doubt to the AFLD (french anti doping) theres no corruption, or loopholes, or lawyers spin put on it. Just facts and real consequences. So i'll put my hand up all day long and say im guilty of negligence. MY mindset was that I'v never sought anything performance enhancing, and Ive never had an issues with the Dozens and Dozens of in and out of competition doping tests ive had, so all will be good. I git a bit too relaxed with the whole process, I never thought there was any chance I could ever be in this situation, yet here we are. A moment of Negligence yes, premeditated cheaters, hell NO!!!! Maybe ask yourself, would you ever think you need to do extensive study and research, on every ingredient of every thing you ever put in your body? Combine that with what I said above, and hopefully you get a clearer picture of how this very unfortunate situation has come to be. Possibly the main reason i'm writing this is the amount of uneducated and downright false comments here. Some of you really should be a bit more careful with your wild assumptions and accusations. There are real people on the other side of this. Its obvious that many just want to be hateful and drag people down, and that's pretty sad. When road cycling and in Particular Lance Armstrongs name gets thrown in the ring, WOW, are you serious??? Consider the things iv'e mentioned, and maybe think again. People all seem to think theres some kind of Magic pill out there, that will take them from weekend warrior to world class level podium guy. Nobody stops to think that maybe the 25+ hours a week spent training, in the gym, on the bike, not going out with your friends, 5am starts, the constant crahses, injuries and sacrifices, has a bit more to do with it. The work that goes in is simply incomprehendable to most, and it's what makes the difference. Everyone who trains and competes at that level understands that, Which I would say is the main reason no other pros have spoken up about this. Mistakes were made, and we're both paying the biggest price for that. It's added more stress to my life, on an already extremely stressful time. So maybe take the time to consider both sides of the equation before spreading some uneducated hate, and misinformation. '

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/jaredgraves/

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fuck this conversation.
First of all, he survived a brain tumor, and everyone was "you've got this Jared, fuck cancer, you'll be back on the bike in no time!" during his illness.
Now he survived this devastating desease (for now!) and gets the chance to still do what he loves to do again and now people are giving him shit for that.
Hypocrisy at its best.
He is one of the best and most decorated mountainbike riders ever. He put Yeti over a long time on podiums in 4X, BMX, DH and enduro. If they want to get him a budget and a bike, by any means, they have every right to do so.

Also: This guys are on the limit, not only on their bike, but also regarding nutrition, training and supplements. They use, what is allowed to use. He and Rude were caught because they were above that limit. Was that wrong? Yes, but we aren't in the right place (deskchair) to judge this. I mean they didn't do EPO or blood injections or stuff like that. They were positive for a substance that easily can be bought in the next supplement store.
I don't think a single person in the bike community is against Jared's comeback from cancer. If anyone is, that is messed up.

The doping thing is a completely different topic, but one that had unfortunate timing running parallel with the cancer stuff. He was caught, alongside someone else, and sanctioned for it. He is a professional athlete and one with enough stature that people look up to. You can't blame some of those people for feeling let down or disappointed.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

At the top tier, it's safer to use than not. It sure as hell ain't gonna turn me into Lance doing 6 runs up a 5'K hill and not being warmed up until the 3rd one. If you haven't watched Icarus I would suggest it. Do they even time the climbs in EWS? Also, I want a 2nd Tour De France and anything goes. Meth, Steroids, EPO, Human Growth it will be the "Dopers Tour". What do you think people would watch.....

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Graves has earned this retirement. I wonder if he will loosen up a bit now and step into a Peaty-esque role.

Enduro is officially no longer an ex-DHer sport now.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Well said.
I don't think a single person in the bike community is against Jared's comeback from cancer. If anyone is, that is messed up.

The doping thing is a completely different topic, but one that had unfortunate timing running parallel with the cancer stuff. He was caught, alongside someone else, and sanctioned for it. He is a professional athlete and one with enough stature that people look up to. You can't blame some of those people for feeling let down or disappointed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
his ban from racing wasn't a negative consequence?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They were positive for a substance that easily can be bought in the next supplement store.
it's not just that particular drink he was using......

jared's pb quote said:
Even a teenager could walk in to a supplement store and buy this, no questions asked. I've also since learned that 1 in 5 off the shelf pre workout drinks (in Australia at least) have something banned in them.
20% of preworkout drinks contain something banned. not surprising for an unregulated industry.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Richie came back from suspension and won 3 of 5 EWS rounds last year. The only guys to place ahead of him were WC dh racers.
The cheating/doping outrage was overblown, He is just a better bike rider.
Ex- DH racers dominate the EWS. They have dominated every year since Graves switched over in 2014.
6 for 6 in series overalls.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Real brave armchair comment there mate.
Go to any grocery store. It's not just workout supplements, there's the whole category of homeopathic and wellness junk. Take a look at the labels. One thing they'll have in common... "This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA" or something similar. It's all unregulated snake oil. The claims are generally unsubstantiated, and there's no guarantee that the labeled contents are what they say they are.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Go to any grocery store. It's not just workout supplements, there's the whole category of homeopathic and wellness junk. Take a look at the labels. One thing they'll have in common... "This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA" or something similar. It's all unregulated snake oil. The claims are generally unsubstantiated, and there's no guarantee that the labeled contents are what they say they are.
Oh my bad, I read that "it's not just that particular drink he was using...... " and thought you were having a go saying Gravesy was on other stuff. Sorry, misread what you were saying.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Something tells me that team riders frames are in some cases different than the ones sold to the general population not only size/ geometry wise but also strengthwise.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Something tells me that team riders frames are in some cases different than the ones sold to the general population not only size/ geometry wise but also strengthwise.
Do they do a stronger one for team riders that doesn't break as easily as all the regular ones?