Quantcast

Team Rumourz

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah but this is further to my point - the Sunday was ridden by a fast and popular rider (perfect combo). Whereas you can get the same success pretty much with a slower, but more popular rider as you do with a very fast, less popular rider. Looking back at World Champs bikes over the past 20 years, there's plenty of examples of bikes that didn't sell very well, or were entirely unavailable to buy.
Looking at my local spots (in the different places I lived over the years) it breaks down to these DH bikes being popular:

YT: cheap access to the sport, Gwin later was a bonus but they were abundant before
Giant, Specialized, Trek, Scott, KHS: LBS hooking up the kids that are into DH
Yeti: local dealer instrumental in getting folks on these bikes (had too many rails and was too heavy for me, so I had to miss out on an awesome deal)
Intense, Foes, Orange, Santa Cruz, Nicolai, Alutech, (Pivot): especially in the early years the only viable options if you didn't want a glorified XC bike; later more the enthusiast bikes for folks that know what they want; local dealer helps to increase numbers but often independent from support
Iron Horse: Sam Hill fanbois
GT: funnily in the RTS/LTS years many (Nico, King, Peat), lately not so popular although Wyn is quite a popular rider; might also have to do with LBS support

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
i dunno. lopes won a bunch of world cups then fell to ellesworth. does he even have a frame sponsor now?
I remember the Froriders (Tippie and Simmons) talking about Schley being the business man of them and having big cars and bigger paychecks then them. Seems like this came around big time. Fact is, that it is rather silent around Schley since a few years.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I remember the Froriders (Tippie and Simmons) talking about Schley being the business man of them and having big cars and bigger paychecks then them. Seems like this came around big time. Fact is, that it is rather silent around Schley since a few years.
well, given that schley has a frame sponsor and lopes doesn't, lopes still gets the rock bottom title

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
To be fair, he may be raking in the dough riding shitacular bikes. I know Lopes, as douchey as he is, has done very well for himself, $100k vans, Porsches, house in Laguna Beach etc. Schley doesn't seem too far behind in terms of lifestyle, maybe selling out is the right move?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
To be fair, he may be raking in the dough riding shitacular bikes. I know Lopes, as douchey as he is, has done very well for himself, $100k vans, Porsches, house in Laguna Beach etc. Schley doesn't seem too far behind in terms of lifestyle, maybe selling out is the right move?
Proably, yes.
Rotwild for sure was a good deal for him. But these abominations? Not so sure to be honest.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Lopes, that dude is old as fuck, still fast as shit, and still gets paid to ride his bike, even if the guy comes off as douchey you gotta hand it to him. Made a good living in a sport where getting paid well is nearly impossible.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
So... it's global post a pic of yer burd day on instagram again and Rock Jebus chooses to post a pic of himself dressed in a mix of the fireman and cowboy outfits from the village people

:brows:

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Well he did post a picture of the one he loves more than anything else here in this world.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So... it's global post a pic of yer burd day on instagram again and Rock Jebus chooses to post a pic of himself dressed in a mix of the fireman and cowboy outfits from the village people

:brows:
that hat > his hair

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Well fuck Odin in his good eye...wretched news for her, as that's likely the whole season IMO. That said, I think Pom Pom had a bad ankle explosion early last year and made it back to great form by the end. Was so looking forward to seeing Tahnee, Marine, Hoff, Pom Pom, Trace and sick/mental/ya know Rach battle it out this season. Phalanges crossed everyone else stays out of the ER in the meantime.

Last edited: